Tick Tacklers

Not sure what category this would fit into but, caught this on the local TV news earlier today:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/maine-woman-develops-new-product-to-protect-people-from-ticks/ar-AARm2mJ

No Deet, or any chemicals for that matter, used. Curious how it would hold up/work with some hard-core bushwhacking?

Later,
Todd KH2TJ

3 Likes

Probably little, because the ticks also sit further up in the bush and drop on the victim.

Fortunately, I am not the favorite target of ticks. But there are people (I know it mainly from women) who almost always have a tick when they come home from hiking.

An acquaintance with whom I was once on a biological excursion (we were looking for butterfly eggs) , knows about her problem. Her method (besides vaccinating, which unfortunately does not help against Lyme disease - and a spray) is to close all access points to clothing. She wears the socks over the pants and has also sealed the sleeves and neck… also she wore a silk balaclava. She really looked very weird and able to scare people. It was a warm summer day and I was in shorts.

When we came out of the bush, we checked each other for ticks. ( This is very important, especially with children) - I had none. She had 3 on her clothes.
In the evening she called me and told me that she found another one while showering.

Since a friend is seriously ill with Lyme disease, I think everything is good that helps just a little against ticks. But this product alone will not help!

73 Armin

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing Todd.

I’ve occasionally had ticks on my legs from walking through heather or long grass, except for one time when I was cycling through really long bracken [ferns] and picked one up on my arm.

I very rarely wear shorts on the hills in summer unless I know in advance the levels of vegetation.

Cheers, Fraser

1 Like

[quote=“DL6GCA, post:2, topic:27639, full:true”]

[quote=“KH2TJ, post:1, topic:27639”]

When we came out of the bush, we checked each other for ticks. (
[/quote]d

I’ve had ticks, under my arms, on my inner elbows, back of my knees, but what really concerns me about your “mutal examination”, is that I often have them around my errrrrr? Wobbly bits, the groin area - testicles etc., Are you sure you did a thorough examination?

1 Like

Yes in my experience the “Tick Tacklers” would be more effective round my wrists than my ankles :joy:

I think others have pointed out the shortfalls of this. Any tick higher than your sticky bands is safe.

When I lived in Eire, where ticks were common place, I got curious as to how ticks got onto your legs and how they managed to creep up your legs etc., So… I used to run/jog through a small meadow which had lots of rank grass and rushes in it and I often picked ticks up… I decided one damp day to run that way in shorts… Arriving on the other side of the meadow I discovered I had numerous ticks running/scrambling up my legs.

To my surprise they were very agile, quick and had a good grip. It was harder than I thought to brush them off as they had a stong grip. Eventually I managed to remove 26 off my legs before I continued my run.

In about 40 activations I managed to collect 3 ticks in the Black Forrest. This was in an area where you would seldom meet people. As a consequence there are more wild animals there. You always would be able to hear something moving in the bushes…

You do not need to get lime disease… already a “simple” infection can get you to hospital … the usual treatment consists in strong antibiotics e,g, Clyndamicin with all the known sideeffects.

So any hints to avoid this are welcome!
In summer I use an Antitick Spray… but I do not know how effective it is…

Another info that might help… in Germany we have riskmaps for ticks, e.g.
https://www.zecken.de/de/karten-risikogebiete-2021
This might make people more aware of the risks.

73s
Ingo

1 Like

Yes, ticks are indeed very common in EI. I tend to wear gaiters year round for tick protection as much as keeping my legs dry, and I still pick up an occasional one. One of these tick removal tools is a handy thing to keep in your wallet.

4 Likes