**THIS SATURDAY** - GW SOTA S2S PARTY - PICK YOUR SUMMITS :)

HI Ben,

I have just noticed your alert for this activity is a 1 Pointer!

I admire your patience waiting for this party to gain you MG with a 1 Pointer.

I will be up my local hill, shame its not SOTA Summit, will try to get some of the guys I don’t think I will hear you from up there.

Advance congratulations from both Elaine and myself

Tony

3 Likes

Thanks Adrian - have a nice weekend.

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Hi Rod,

I hope both yourself and Viki are having a great SOTA tour up north! Unfortunately, I have taken all antennas down at home, so can’t call into you. Look forward to the next S2S.

Take care both, and 73. GW4BML, Ben

Hi Tony,

Yes, I had been on about 9 points for some time and managed to get out a few occasions to hit 999. Work and family commitments have slowed SOTA down for me at present. But, after July, I’ll be touring again :slight_smile: many thanks for the advanced congratulations, I have a good friend joining me to gain my MG, so should be a good activation (I hope I qualify, hi!), then I plan to sink a few Guinness to celebrate!

May catch you on Saturday, depending on conditions!

73 to both you and Elaine.

GW4BML, Ben

2 Likes

Yes Ben, I am planning to be mobile from my local hill, while Elaine is having her nails beatified HaHa.
I am trying to decide the best equipment to take, possible 2m 3 ele beam vertical polarised and pointing at each station with the FT857 is my main thoughts at present.

Its the same place I used to read the GB2RS News from and always got good reports in a 360 degrees path? Fingers crossed

Good Luck

Tony

2 Likes

Perhaps not as rare as one might assume.

I definitely remember Shirley MW0YLS (RIP) waiting on 999 until an activation of her local summit Hope Mountain GW/NW-062 for the MG. Colin @M1BUU set his MG activation up for his favourite Whernside G/NP-004. I’m certain there are loads of similar examples.

Not me though (Cadair Berywn GW/NW-012) or Jimmy @M0HGY (Corndon Hill GW/MW-013).

It would be interesting to see a list of activators’ first (mine was Shining Tor G/SP-004) and MG activations - but maybe on another thread so as not to hijack Ben’s event!

3 Likes

Actually I chose Whernside G/NP-004 for my MG summit because it was an easy and quick ascent. Because I’d chosen to manufacture my station on the summit, I needed to take along test gear and tools, making for a heavy pack.

I did choose my favourite hill of Ingleborough G/NP-005 for my true Mountain Goat activation last year though, the rig I built was much easier; being only a transmitter and mostly surface mount. I didn’t need to factor in as much time.

4 Likes

Sorry I can’t join you in Wales for this, but hopefully I’ll be able to work some of you from the Isle of Wight. Have fun in any case.

2 Likes

I’ll be listening out for you @G6PJZ Andy, I did see your alerts :+1: good luck!

73, GW4BML. Ben

I’ll have the 857 with me too, so we may make the contact! I’m not sure who’s read the news for the past year on 2m FM. But whoever it is on a Sunday, they are a 5/9 to my home QTH! Very strong signal.

73, GW4BML. Ben

2 Likes

Hi Ben, yes There is now a team of 3 OPs that could be either G0NAJ(John,) or G4GSY(Mike) or M0HDE (Annick)(Braille Reader). I had to retire from the readings due to Medical problems last year. They can also be heard on 4M at the same time.

2 Likes

If they were using a venerable Liner 2 transceiver they’d be heard on 288, 432 and 576MHz as well. And many combinations of those frequencies as well :rofl:

2 Likes

I will be operating with my N.O.V. Callsign of GQ1JPV/M on Saturday now, as I have just downed the Paperwork from OFCOM. Just because I can I suppose, bit of fun if nowt else??

Tony

2 Likes

Just seen BBC Breakfast filming at the top of Pen-y-Fan. Surprised there wasn’t a fishing pole and a huddled activator in the background :wink:

1 Like

Mine went in the skip during the great Covid clearout of 2020.
(although I may still have the crystals for satellite frequencies).

1 Like

A TR-7010 is what I want for nostalgia reasons. Liner2: best place is in a museum or their components recycled :wink:

Good luck with your MG activation tomorrow, Ben & I hope the party goes well. I am up in GM land, so well out of range for 2m! If not out sightseeing etc tomorrow, I will set my hf gear, I might be lucky & catch someone.
73 John

1 Like

Thank you very much @G0MHF John - have a nice time in GM land, we may make the contact :slight_smile:

73, GW4BML. Ben

I’ve traded some Brownie points for a day pass, and alerted for Arderin EI/IE-019 on 40m. Hope to work Ben and some of the other Welsh summits, but all other callers welcome too :o)

(I might try 5.354 MHz USB too - the 80/60/40 dipole can be fun if its windy, though. The 40/30/20 is more manageable!)
Adrian

1 Like

Hi @G4AZS Adrian, that’s great news. Fingers crossed 40m will be alive so we can make the qso :blush: have a nice activation!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like