**THIS SATURDAY** - GW SOTA S2S PARTY - PICK YOUR SUMMITS :)

Hi All, we have an up and coming S2S party in GW land (Wales) commencing on Saturday 18th June from 10:00 until 14:00 BST. There will be quite a few activators out on the Welsh hills calling out ‘CQ SOTA’ on this day, using 2m-FM and HF-SSB bands (20/40/60). Please feel free to pass the word around and join us for some SOTA action!

I will also be out on this morning doing my ‘MG’ activation as well from a local summit to me, so it would be great to work as many stations as possible, from S2S’s to chasers or anyone licensed listening on air!

We all look forward to making as many contacts as possible :slight_smile: lets liven up those mountains guys!!

Please pass this message on to friends and groups.

73, GW4BML. Ben

15 Likes

I usually get good VHF contacts with GW/NW and sometimes GW/MW from the southern fells in Cumbria. So, I’ll go to a local summit, Gummer’s How G/LD-050, with my 5W HT and J-pole to be QRV on 2m FM for an hour or two from mid-morning on Saturday.

If enough GW activators alert for 60m or 40m SSB or CW, I’ll take my HF kit too.

Andy

2 Likes

SSB or CW?

2 Likes

Hi @G8CPZ Andy, that’s great news. I’m sure the activators will be operating on HF SSB. I’ll deffo be calling on 40m, 60m and maybe 20m. Be great to make contact :slight_smile:

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Hi @G4TGJ Richard, I’m presuming most activators will be operating on HF SSB. I will edit my above post to make it clearer.

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Hi Ben, … in which case I’ll take my 10W KX2 and 60/40/30/20 linked dipole. We should have no problem with 60m (NVIS) and 40m too if the skip distance is small enough.

3 Likes

Sounds great Andy - I look forward to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Coming up this Saturday :slight_smile:

I’ll be travelling from SW into NW with the radio on in the car as I go so will be listening out for the CQ SOTA calls. :+1:

1 Like

That’s a shame Ben I have a prior commitment but may be able to catch you on your MG activity. 73 Enjoy your day. Don G0RQL.

2 Likes

I will be on Pike of Blisco on Saturday, I’ll listen out for GW activators.

1 Like

I’ve got a wedding gig in Upton-upon-Severn, so I’ll call in from G/WB-009 or G/CE-002 (or both) en route.

2 Likes

Should be on Red Screes G/LD-017 on 2m FM and HF - although which band(s) will depend on conditions. I have to leave early so it will be an early start. Looking forward to it. Paul

1 Like

This would actually be quite unusual for a localised S2S QSO Party associated with a later social meet-up. Usually, for obvious reasons, 2m FM is the order of the day in such circumstances. I’ve no doubt many of the activators will do some HF SSB as well but I expect all the main action to be on 2m FM. That’s where I’ll be anyway!

2 Likes

Yes, and I think activators in neighbouring regions will be able to join in the fun provided folk are using half decent antennas. Using a 1/2-wave telescopic or a J-pole on a short pole with my 5W FM HT I regularly get S2S’s with GW/NW and GW/MW from G/LD.

2 Likes

A handheld and rubber duck will do 2m FM S2S between neighbouring SOTA regions pretty reliably.

1 Like

Hi Ben,

If I can get away… I’ll head up to my local G/SC-003 Beacon Batch. It will give me a chance to try out an old Yaesu FT-170 HH (that is being ‘thrown out’ by another Op) instead of the usual UV-5R which can sometimes be a bit deaf !!

73, Lea M0XPO

2 Likes

Hi Tom, that was a reply to G4TGJ reference HF-SSB or HF-CW. I said most operators will be operating on HF-SSB rather than CW :+1:

2 Likes