The SOTA "Tastes" challenge for 2020

Awww Tom,

You diverted my diversion. Shucks.

Ron
VK3AFW

POTA took me to Parks on the Air.

I did find: https://g0roc.co.uk/pubs-and-clubs-on-the-air-pacota-2019/

PACOTA. I wonder if I can get that with a side of chips!!!

I already know about Tx difficulties through concrete and brick walls, plus, we’re back to resonant wobbling.

KI7MMZ

EOTB?
(Elbows On The Bar)

1 Like

But the fun starts when Elbows take off the bars and get On The Air. How about EOTA?
Cheers,

Guru

2 Likes

How about The SOTA Tastings Challenge, Ed?

Jan: Highland Park vs Caol Ila
Feb: Smokehead vs Bunnahabhain
Mar: Ardbeg vs Bowmore
May: Oban vs Aberlour
Jun: Dalwhinnie vs Cardhu
Jul: The Dalmore vs Scapa
Oct: Knockando vs Auchentoshan
Nov: Lagavullin vs Laphroig
Dec: Talisker vs Jura

That’s SMOTA. :wink:

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like

Now you’re talking, Pom!

A little biased towards “peaty” drams. Need a couple more Speyside Malts to balance the test.
However, along with my partner in crime (Andy @MM0FMF), I am up for it.
Who’s paying :innocent:

August and September aren’t set yet. Feel free to add some nice summer Whiskies, Barry!:tumbler_glass:

Summer whiskeys? In Scotland the only difference between summer and winter is the summer rain isn’t quite so cold!

I’ve not tried Smokehead - I had to Google it! Oh the deprevation of being so far south of the border…

Hi Guru,

This is a serious problem. POTA is taken. HOTA, Hotels on the Air is unused I think as is TOTA, Taverns on the Air. My favourite is COTA, Cantinas on the Air. It encompasses everything from a tent where you can get some sustenance and refreshment to ye Grande Olde Hotel where anything you wish for is provided.

Ron
VK3AFW

Follow Pom’s suggestion and it will be DROTA - drunken revellers on the air!

PACOTA is already established, no need to reinvent the wheel - nor get behind it by the sounds of this.

2 Likes

Hi Tom,

Well there you go. Having read the PACOTA manifesto I think that in VK it may be difficult. We are less accommodating of eccentricity than you guys are and many are highly concerned about getting cancer from all kinds of radiation. (no they don’t worry about their mobile phone but the Cell tower is regarded as roughly equivalent to the Chernobyl reactor). A HH would be OK but a squid pole would be iffy.

Of course a BBQ in a WWFF Park would be easier and one on a SOTA Summit in a WWFF Park might tick all the boxes. The visitors in those places expect to see unusual people. For such events we often have designated drivers who do not imbibe in the interests of safety.

We do have POMITP, Post Mortems in the Pub after a big SOTA day. There will be BAMA, Bragging about my Activation and WATTWW, Winging about Things that Went Wrong.

Ron
VK3AFW

Pom’s post is the best for me. Shame there are only 12 months in a year.
Next activation I’ll start with a Bladnoch and report my TOAST.
(Thoughs On A Summit Tasting)

Compton
(Who always carries a dram in the event that if everything goes so far South that there is no hope & I want to go out in style.)

Snap! (Though mine is in a small metal flask that doubles as a weight to chuck a wire over a branch!)

PS It is Glenmorangie.

1 Like

Now chasing…

Guru

2 Likes

Have you tried Lady Grey?

Not, I’m afraid. I haven’t tried too many. English breakfast black tea, some others from the supermarket “white” brands and this Earl Grey. I like this one and I tend to repeat rather than trying others. Some time ago I used to consum raw red tea instead of tea in individual sacs, but I have lately switched to the one in sacs as it’s easier and faster to prepare.
But I’ll be pleased to give Lady Grey a try in case I can find it around.
I’ll let you know.

Guru

It is very similar to Earl Grey but with a hint of citrous instead of bergamot, very refreshing on a hot day.

1 Like

Does iced tea count? Those of us in the southern US need to know. That is about the only way tea is consumed here.

(It also typically has a LOT of sugar - hence the name “sweet tea”)