The SOTA Rough Guide to Barbados šŸ‡§šŸ‡§

In this report, I aim to briefly describe the process I went through to get a license for Barbados, the SOTA activation of the islandā€™s only SOTA summit Mount Hillaby 8P/BB-001, and also a few other interesting bits and pieces about the island. The bottom of the report will be a bit of a knowledge base, with links etc.

Background
We donā€™t usually do relaxing holidays. However, Mo wanted to visit the Caribbean. I suggested Barbados, having visited many years ago. Mo chose the hotel. Sorted. Then I admitted that it had a SOTA summit. Just the one - Mount Hillaby, a 1 point summit, 340m ASL. That meant Iā€™d be taking some radios.

Licensing
The Barbados Telecoms website contains lots of information, including an application form, amateur radio handbook and licensing conditions. It all looked fairly straightforward except for the payment, which mentioned payment by cheque. I emailed the administrator but didnā€™t receive a reply. I then decided to email the last person to activate Mount Hillaby, 8P9VE, who turned out to be Mountain Goat @VE6AGR Ken, who lives in Calgary. Ken was very helpful and told me that he applied for his license in person when he was on the island, so thatā€™s what I decided to do.

A month before we left I printed off the form and filled in the paperwork. I obtained written permission from my hotel to use my radio equipment. I photocopied my passport and printed a fresh copy of my UK radio license. All of this needed to be submitted with my application.

The Vacation
We arrived on Barbados at 1500 local time on Thursday 5th September. The following morning we walked into Bridgetown, me armed with my paperwork, and walked straight into the wrong building. My Gmail account had been wiped before we left and Iā€™d lost Kenā€™s helpful emails. Thankfully he responded quickly to a fresh plea and we were soon in a taxi on our way to the Telecoms office, near the edge of town.

Once signed in at Baoab Tower, we went up to the third floor where we were met by Omelia who looked at my application and told me that Iā€™d receive a license via email, possibly that afternoon if she could find the director to look over it. She asked if I could use EZPay+ to pay the $30 BBD (about Ā£12) and I agreed, however when I later went to set this up, it only seemed to be available to residents who had a bank account on the island. Instead, I used a money transfer service, XE.com, to facilitate the transfer. This took longer than expected to go through.

Fast forward to Tuesday and the transfer hadnā€™t appeared in the treasury bank account. Omelia emailed me and agreed to grant the licence because Iā€™d provided a receipt of the transfer. I was now 8P9BW. Game on!

After lunch I wandered over to a quiet corner of the beach, which was actually just outside the hotel grounds. It was well shaded and just within Wi-fi range. I chucked the EFHW up a tree using my Carbon 6 and hooked the whole lot up to the KX2 via a 45w amp. I put a spot on DX Heat, messaged the Home Boys and called away on 15m SSB. I was actually surprised to put a few EU in the log, including, and much to my surprise and delight, @2M0WNA Mike back in Aberdeenshire. Well at least Iā€™d proven I was able to get a signal out.

Me playing ā€œnormalā€ radio

Wednesday was activation day. It only took us 35 minutes to drive up to Mount Hillaby, initially on the good road that runs up the populated west coast of the island, with the last few kmā€™s on ever narrowing and steepening rural roads. As we popped over a slight rise, I spotted the tip of a concrete column on a grass bank to the right. Was that it? I knew the road passed close to the summit, but surely not that close! I reversed back and parked up on a grassy lay by. From the parking spot, a 20m walk up the grass bank did indeed take me to the top of Mount Hillaby 8P/BB-001. The worn concrete column had a US style marker on the top. The summit was actually quite small. It would been easier to operate from the grass layby, which was easily inside the Activation Zone and also sported a handy park bench, but no I wanted the top.

Mount Hillaby 8P/BB-001

looking down to the car and road

SFI was high at 220 and k was 3. Instinct told me to erect the 10m vertical, so thatā€™s what I did. 7m of coax trailed down to a wee grassy spot and thatā€™s where I was, along with the radio and amp. I spotted using Iridium, solely because I hadnā€™t bought any data for my phone. After a few unanswered CQ calls, I wondered if the spot had gone. And then it happened.

The Pile Up! American stations were always strongest, so I tended to work them first when they appeared, however 10m was well open to Europe and it was great to work so many regular SOTA chasers across the UK, mainland Europe, Russia and Turkey to the east and enjoy strong signal contacts to USA to the west.

With 29 logged on 10m, I had a word with Mo and gained approval to try another band. She was quite happy drawing in her sketchpad. In fact she had commandeered the low trig as a stool. I quickly dropped the vertical, leaving the mast standing thanks to low slung guys. I popped up the 20m up and outer. This antenna has always been good to me on foreign trips.

enjoying the summit sun

That run was about to end. Absolutely nothing on 20m! I couldnā€™t believe it. ā€œCan I try one moreā€¦ā€¦please?ā€ This time I put up my EFHW, keen to try 15m. I was actually carrying a 15m delta loop but it is a bit more of a faff to put up, and the EFHW had got my signal out on 15m the day before anyway.

15m was quiet, but definitely open. 10m chasers @G4OBK Phil and @GI4OSF John proved this by calling back in. My only other contact on 15m was with @HK3C John, from Columbia.

With 32 logged in an hour and a rain shower looming, I called it a day. We were packed up and back at the hotel within an hour. I was buzzing!

32 contacts from Mount Hillaby

Basians are very civilised and drive on the left

Most mornings for the rest of the week, around 10am, I would go to the same spot on the beach and ā€œplay radioā€ for an hour. Always with the 10m vertical and usually making a few contacts around the place. Saturday morning was a particular highlight, worth mentioning. Iā€™d been spotted on the cluster and suddenly the EU contacts came firing in, one after the other. Except they were all contest callsigns and they all wanted a number. Ok, 001,002,003ā€¦.I think I got up to 008 before some automated Italian station started calling ā€œCQ Contestā€ on my frequency.

Then the real highlight. Simon @GM4JXP was over on a Croation island activating Planjak 9A/DH-134. I hadnā€™t been able to hear him, but Simon was hearing me at 5/5. He swapped his antenna over for a 10m delta loop and tried again. Unbelievably he started to come through. Weak at first, with fading but eventually at 3/1. Contact made! 8000km/5000mls.

in the shade at my regular spot

That was my last radio activity of the holiday. The rest of the time was spent snorkelling, drinking way too much beer, too many cocktails and eating more than I needed to eat. We also took time to explore the quieter east side of the island, visiting botanical gardens and other wonderful natural sites.

our beach

The outstanding highlight at the hotel was the emergence of some baby 200 turtles from the sand, just 2m from where we were dining. The hotel had been closed for a couple of months due to damage caused by the June hurricane, so no one knew that a turtle had crept up the beach and laid eggs in the sand at that spot. Usually the hotel marks known spots using small wooden picket fences to keep folk off, however this one was a surprise to everyone. A hotel colleague scooped the 200 baby turtles into a large waste basket. Soon a couple of volunteers from the Barbados Sea Turtle Project appeared. They would check and count the turtles, as well as scour the nest for any un-hatched eggs. The turtles would then be taken to a dark corner of the beach and released into the ocean. Turtles that hatch near a hotel usually need this manual intervention. Bright hotel lights and swimming pools affect the baby turtles instinct to head for the ocean, and, left to their own devices many end up in hotel pools and on main roads.

counting baby sea turtles

So, that was Barbados and Mount Hillaby. A wonderful island with wonderful people and a great place to visit. Can the next one to visit let me know as Iā€™d like a complete! Also, Barbados is a coral island which is rising at quite a rate from the seabed, so maybe weā€™ll only have to wait a wee while for some more SOTA summits there.

Resources

Radio Licensing
Barbados Telecommunications Unit
3rd floor, Baoab Towers, Country Road, Bridgetown, St. Michael
Web - Telecoms.gov.bb application form, band plans, amateur radio handbook

Barbados amateur Radio society
On facebook ā€“ search for Barbados Amateur Radio Society
Web ā€“ arsb.org The website has details of daily and weekly nets etc.

Barbados Sea Turtle Project
Barbadosseaturtles.org also on facebook

Currency
We took Basian dollars, but the US dollar is equally accepted. $1 USD = $2 BBD
Contactless payments accepted in town and country in our experience

Climate
The last time I was in Barbados I got sunburn in 15 minutes. It is HOT! 32-36C but burning heat, so long sleeves, a hat and sun protection a must. I also packed a waterproof. There is a rain shower most days and I knew it would be my luck to have it happen during my activation. It didnā€™t.

Accommodation
Sugar Bay, Hastings, Barbados
Just south of Bridgetown and a 30 minute walk into the centre of town. Great rooms, food, drinks and service. As well as a quality buffet every day, there is a steak house, Asian dining and a rum shop serving more casual dining all afternoon. Highly recommended (all inclusive). The hotel quickly replied to my request to operate my radio equipment.

Car Hire
Organised via our hotel. Prices were comparable with the web and the vehicle was delivered to the hotel. Excellent service and the Suzuki Jimny was perfect for our needs. It came from Gocarsbb.com

Getting to Mount Hillaby
Itā€™s located in the Scotland District of St.Andrews Parish. No, I didnā€™t make that up. I downloaded the entire island into google maps for off line use. I also had a topo map for my Garmin. No need though. The hill was easy to find and is to the east of the hamlet of Hillaby. The paved road leads right to the summit area. Check out SOTLAS Itā€™s all on there.

Radio Equipment and Air Travel
It felt like a bit of a waste to carry radio gear half way across the planet and to jump through hoops to obtain a license, only to use it on one SOTA summit. I really only do SOTA, but thought it would be nice to spend an hour a day operating from the hotel gardens or the beach. A step into the unknown but a bit of active relaxation to break up the day. Thanks to a generous luggage allowance, I took the following items in my carry on bag.

• Elecraft KX2, with two 3S Li-Ions and a small 12v charger

• 45w HF amp, with a 4200 mAh LiFePO4 to power it, along with a balanced charger

• Kenwood TH-D7 handheld. US model

• QMX, QDX and raspberry pi for digital modes

• Wire antennas - Ā¼ vertical 10m, delta loop 15m, up and outer 20m, EFHW 10, 15, 20, 40m

• Our hold luggage contained a 7m Spiderbeams pole, Carbon 6 pole and various guys and pegs.

I rarely use the amp, but thought Iā€™d better make a bit of an effort to put a decent signal out from Mt. Hillaby. I never carry battery chargers on holidays either, but thought Iā€™d need a few re-charges with daily use. This meant I also had to carry a smallish 12v power supply. Thankfully, my one can run off 110v, selectable by a switch hidden under a foil cover. And yes, I remembered to set it back to 240v before packing it away!

We flew British Airways from Aberdeen to London Heathrow and Heathrow to Barbados. At the airports, I didnā€™t even attempt to empty the bag and it went through the modern scanner OK. Leaving Barbados for the journey home, it aroused more interest, but once it was broken down into the individual equipment cases, it was all fine.

Misc
I set up a specific QRZ page for my callsign because I thought there may be some interest in my activities. 8P9BW - Callsign Lookup by QRZ Ham Radio

It has been popular and I received a couple of emails asking for skeds and also info for a DX newsletter. I also received an offer of free QSL cards. I declined, however I will endeavour to upload all of my logs to lotw once I figure it out.

That is all. 73,

Fraser
8P9BW / MM0EFI

32 Likes

A well proper report.

Fraser, can you copy this post into the 8P/BB-001 summit entry (Sotadata3) so itā€™s there for any others fancying a bash at it?

5 Likes

I thought the same and just started with it while reading thru the articleā€¦ :slight_smile:
But I can removed it and let Fraser add more as needed.

3 Likes

Super report Fraser but I think you have confused me (Alistair - 2M0WTN with Mike ?) but happy to be mentioned none the lessā€¦.
:grinning::wink::grinning:

Hope to speak again soon

Cheers

3 Likes

Fabulous report, Fraser, with good detail for others who may be interested in this great locale for a ā€˜tourist activationā€™. It brought back ā€˜warmā€™ memories of my own time in Barbados and a Mt. Hillaby activation as 8P9VE. I was envious as I did not do nearly as well with dx contacts (or wx while on Hillaby), and there was no surprise turtle hatch when Pat and I were at Sugar Bay. Next time ā€¦ I should add that the local amateur radio club are a very welcoming bunch and a visit to their shack is another worthwhile thing to do while on the island.

3 Likes

Hi Fraser, well, what a great activation report with terrific photos too. You sound like you and mo had a wonderful time there and really enjoyed the holiday. Thanks for the kit details and the links to various sites that where valuable to you both. A very informative report. :+1:

cheers to you both :wine_glass: :tumbler_glass:

Geoff vk3sq

2 Likes

I was actually using the moxon - the delta loop didnā€™t help things so it was band conditions improving just enough for us to make it. You were easily my best DX of the day and I was really pleased we made it.

3 Likes

Fantastic Fraser, one of the best Activation reports I have read in a long time, once again Im jealous not only of your nice holiday, but activating while you are there. Well done

Tony & Elaine

2 Likes

Ho hoā€¦ that made me laugh out loudā€¦

Always a relief when Iridium spotting.

Brilliant!

2 Likes

I sure did and often do! One of you needs to get an upgrade. :smiley:

1 Like

I canā€™t believe we stayed at the same hotel! Certified as ham radio friendly. :smiley:

1 Like

Frazer, Thank you very much for the activation and giving me a new Sota country worked. I was using a 2 ele Moxon, Unfortunately I had QRM from EA8 who was constantly calling over the top of you when you came back to me which made it difficult my end. But you were loud & clear other than that. A great report and I hope you both had a great holiday.

73ā€™ Don GW0PLP.

2 Likes

Brilliant report Fraser. It sounds like you really enjoyed your time over there. :grinning:

Hopefully Mo is already planning the next island adventure with SOTA incorporated. :wink:

73, Gerald

3 Likes

We exclusively use sotl.as for all holiday planning!

Delighted Don! I actually worked 3 Welsh stations on 10m that morning, which was a great result.

4 Likes

My copy arrived today. A very informative read accompanied with some very nice photos.

A great Rough Guide for anyone interested to activate in Barbados.

I heard/read via the GW Mountain drum (WhatsApp) that you were active, but unfortunately unable to get to the radio in time. In a way quite glad, otherwise Iā€™d have to visit for that completeā€¦

Looking forward to reading the rest of your Rough Guide in The Caribbean series.

3 Likes

HaHa! That is superb Robert.

Thatā€™ll be Ā£14.99 please.

Oh. donā€™t tempt me. I like the look of Martinique.

2 Likes

I was refreshing my memory as to which nations form the Caribbean and Martinique also caught my eye when I opened sotl.as. It seems to have a summit for all abilities.

But I guess Iā€™ll have to pretend Iā€™m in Martinique when I eventually make it onto a GM/SI summitā€¦

1 Like