The Luckiest Man Alive?

I am sure that many will have heard about the massive bushfires that have been occurring in Eastern Australia for the last few months. Many, perhaps hundreds, of commercial comms sites have been impacted by these fires.

I have just heard that a radio tech has just been given the contract to drive around all of these sites and audit them. So many will be SOTA summits.

Just imagine; a company 4WD, go to every site with keys to any locked gates on private and public land, all expenses covered and being paid to do it. Surely the ultimate SOTA trip?

Just one question, should he take a linked dipole or vertical with him?

13 Likes

I think he needs a bit of help…

4 Likes

It would be so so right if one of the emergency comms radio amateurs got that job.

Ahoi
Pom

2 Likes

Both, of course!

1 Like

Who is that lucky fellow? Whoever it is obviously needs someone to help out, hold the clipboard, pass the pen, snap the occasional photo.

I’m free! I even have my own linked dipole :rofl:

3 Likes

Hmm, at least 3 helpers, Drive, Open Gates, Make cups of tea. etc, etc
Plus come with a complete sota station to insure an activation opportunity is never missed.
If you pick me I might even be able to find a microphone to go with said radio gear.

Warren vk3byd

2 Likes

Shouldn’t he/she at least walk some of the way?

A linked dipole and me.

1 Like

With all the offers of help, perhaps a 15 seater bus would be the answer?
One to open the gates.
One to shut the gates.
One to make the cups of tea/coffee.
One to supply the microphone.
One to supply the rig.
Two to quickly put up any antenna/s needed. (Make that four because we hams never agree.)
One to drive.
One to read the map. (Make that two. See above).
Two for IT computer logging.
Chief cook & bottle washer.
One to supervise.

2 Likes

Don’t you need somebody to be in charge of the beer and beer cooler?

1 Like

No, that Aussie stuff would taste equally bad, warm or cold!:wink:

funny thing is - the beer you lot drink and think is VK ---- we havent actually sold since the 80s…

4 Likes

There would be no hope of getting a 15 seat bus up some of those hills. But I like the idea.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

I was told that it is a myth that Foster’s comes from Australia and all the Australians drink this beer and most Australians have never even heard of Fosters. Looks like you never knew this before Brian, so you learn something new everyday and now you have learnt this.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

And one to log.

Well I’ve tried Emu export and TED but I suppose they were brewed over here, too!

I’m not sure if those 2 are actually brewed over here or in Australia itself Brian.

Jimmy M0HGY

Good Point Andrew, So best add to the list;
A Large Helicopter, complete with Pilot, aircrew and ground crew, Fuel truck etc.
Also I note some one had left the CW operator off the list, so best add one of them.

With that many people, we will also need someone to look after the accommodation as well.

Warren vk3byd.

The lucky guy is starting to feel a bit unlucky at this point.

3 Likes

With the Jeep, might as well take the kw amp and beam, too !
K6YK

1 Like