The GW SOTA S2S and hog roast day June 2024 - PLEASE READ (Part 1)

Heh Heh!
I can’t come, but I hope it’s a DX HOG your’re roasting !

Enjoy!
K6YK

2 Likes

ROLL UP… ROLL UP… ROLL UP… IT’S RAFFLE TIME!!

In exactly 4 weeks time, we have the annual GW SOTA S2S party and get together, where everyone enjoys speaking on the radio, meeting up in person afterwards, and having a chat while eating there well deserved Hog Roast bap :slightly_smiling_face: or macaroni cheese pasta dish.

Again, this year we will be running a raffle to try and raise as much money as possible to help the running costs of SOTA, i.e websites … servers etc.

So, for the activators and chasers who are unable to attend, and would like a ticket, it is £5 a strip. This strip will get you 5 single tickets and a chance to win a good selection of prizes which relate to our hobby.

To date, I have a band hopper from SOTAbeams, a Wouxun 4m hand-held from Martin Lynch, a 40/20 EFHW from SAW and many goodies from Icom. Once I have received all prizes, I will put images up.

In the meantime, if you would like to purchase a strip (£5) or maybe more :slightly_smiling_face: please send the money to my PayPal address with your call-sign in the reference box. Please make sure you send the funds as ‘Friends or Family’ to the following PayPal address:

lloyd_1109@outlook.com

I will then mark your name down on the rear of the tickets. If anyone else would like to pay over PayPal who are attending the event, please feel free to do so, but make sure your call-sign is also in the reference box when transferring the funds.

SOTA is a great amateur radio hobby, so lets try and support the best we can :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m really looking forward to meeting everyone on Saturday 8th June - let’s hope the weather is booked this year for the event!

If anyone that hasn’t paid, and wants to come, please let me know by PM or email using the address above - EVERYONE IS WELCOME! :slightly_smiling_face:

73, Ben GW4BML

5 Likes

Unfortunately I wont be able to make Wales, however i am planning to be on G/SP-002 Black hill, to join in the S2S ACTION! going to drag M7BOA - Andy along too, and well get some multiple modes and bands going on HF and VHF!

Hope to work lots of you then!

Alan

4 Likes

So I’ve pinched @G5OLD 's idea of doing Glasgwym and Arran Fawddy as an overnighter Friday into Saturday staying up on Glasgywm, as his previous alerts no longer seem to be up. Weather dependent though - if it’s grim I’ll be overnighting in the comfort of my campervan in the camp site.

Wondering now which rig to take. With there being a lot of close by S2S opportunity I’m presuming the focus is going to be 2M / 70cm. Planning on a handheld for FM, but if there’s a lot of enthusiasm for SSB and/or CW I could be persuaded to lug the 705 up. Will have HF for some 10M challenge action either way :smiley:

4 Likes

If anyone has LoRa trackers, please bring them along as it will be interesting to see how the improved Lora iGate/digipeater network now works in Wales.

4 Likes

I think most activators will be operating on HF as well, both SSB and CW :+1: looking forward to a contact on the day.

73, Ben
GW4BML

4 Likes

Thanks Ben. I was specifically asking about 2M/70cm SSB/CW. For which so far there seems to have not been an enormous amount of enthusiasm. Which is fine by me as it means less weight for me!

3 Likes

Take a 991A. Go big or go home :slight_smile:

The UV K5 can apparently do 2m SSB/CW… I need an excuse to try it out.

2 Likes

In that case, I might take my 705 with me. We could try a S2S on 2m CW then?

3 Likes

We will certainly be taking 2m/70cm ssb capability with us (whereever tgat may be).

Also have the quansheng thingy which is worth a punt.

Ian

2 Likes

We are in and about to book Hotel John and Margaret Stevenson 2W0ILQ

5 Likes

And if anyone would happen to have their laptop with them who could flash my T-beam as a 439 tracker - that would be much appreciated! I always seem to just get a blank screen after trying here. Either the “step by step” instructions are missing some obvious steps (for computer wizzards), or there is operator error at my end (I’m not an expert!!)

2 Likes

Feel free to post it to me for programming. I seem to have been able to do mine (eventually).

3 Likes

I’m planning on attending the hog roast. I have booked in campsite from Tuesday, leaving Sunday. Just me.

8 Likes

Can you post a photograph so we can see what version of the TT-Beam tracker you have - in particular the screen.

Dave

2 Likes

Richard very kindly offered to put the software on for me and I’ve put the T-beam in the post to him. The screen wouldn’t show you anything as it just went blank after my attempts to programme it. Hopefully it will be up and running in Wales.

3 Likes

All sorted and working now. I will post it back on Tuesday. If anyone else wants one set up, let me know.

3 Likes

Gosh that was quick. Both the delivery and the programming!

Thank you :pray:

1 Like

@M1FHM Alan

Your raffle tickets for the GW SOTA day - thank you and good luck :grinning::+1:

3 Likes

It will be great to meet you all :grinning: really looking forward to it! I have potentially booked good wx with the sun out all day.

73, Ben
GW4BML

3 Likes