Tenth Anniversary of SOTA

SOTA started in 2002 so next year will be our tenth anniversary. What will you do to celebrate this event?

Richard
G3CWI

Any particular day? Week? Month?

Might be an opportunity for a World SOTA Weekend (or Week, or Month) or something like that?

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to G3CWI:

I did my first activation only on July 6 2006, so can not really advice on this. Perhaps a bottle of champagne?

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

The 10th Anniversary of SOTA will be on Friday 2nd March 2012. Maybe there should be a SOTA special event on that weekend. I can’t think of anything at the moment for this special event that will make SOTAs 10th Birthday memorable. Only G - England and GW - Wales had SOTA associations since 2nd March 2002.

Jimmy M3EYP
G - Association Manager

In reply to thread:

The MT have not forgotten this anniversary and have certain plans already, but are always open to ideas!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M3EYP:
Amazing to think that there are now 54 associations. At the start, CQ’ing on 7.032 didn’t always bring a contact, let alone a pile up!

It would be great to have at least one activation that weekend from every SOTA country.

Perhaps a certificate for the most SOTA countries worked that weekend/greatest distance worked? Just a thought.

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to M3EYP:
I agree with you Jimmy that a weekend to celebrate the anniversary of ten years of SOTA, this should allow more to get involved.
Here is my ywo pence worth…

A special event certificate for those who want one, Any activater that gets the 4 contacts over the weekend qualifies. These to be sold at a slight profit for SOTA funds (data base etc).
Maybe a certificate for chasers too?

All associations to take part, it is about SOTA so why not have one big party on the summits?

I will take part in a weekend activation even if I need to take a day off work, I like the sound of this :slight_smile:

Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

Sean… you bring your radio gear… I’ll bring a massive tent, beer and my gear :slight_smile:

In reply to thread:

The forecast for this weekend doesn’t look too brilliant but I am hoping to go out Friday for a local activation (probably CE-002) on the actual anniversary date, March 2nd, probably getting on towards noon. Any others going out for an anniversary activation?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

You beat me to it Brian! CE-002 was my first activation on the 2nd of March 2002. If you don’t mind a joint activation, I’ll see you up there.

Pete, M0COP

In reply to G8ADD:

Any others going out for an anniversary activation?

I’ve heard rumour that honorary president John, G3WGV maybe out on a summit to celebrate.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M0COP:

FB, Pete, I was thinking of 2m FM and 5 megs, but the XYL won’t operate her taxi service if the weather is miserable!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Hopefully TW-001

Dave G4ASA

At the time of writing this there have been over 100 SOTA spots on a mid-week day in the Winter. Amazing how it has grown!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I bet you and John are proud!

I suspect that soon chasing will be possible 24 hours per day.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3CWI:

100 SOTA spots on a mid-week day in the Winter

But of course SOTA is now global and in half of the world it is summer!

Tom M1EYP

Maybe there was lots of activations spotted today because of today being Leap Day.

Jimmy M3EYP

I don’t think Leap Day is a public holiday anywhere Jim. I was certainly at work all day.

In reply to M1EYP:

I don’t think Leap Day is a public holiday anywhere Jim. I was
certainly at work all day.

Well, as one who activated, leap day was relevant. I had to take a few hours of holiday time, but a sunny afternoon and the thought of a once - in - four - years chance to squeak some bonus points was too much to resist! So Jimmy may have a point… :o)

In reply to M1EYP:

I would love to be able to celbrate the anniversary by reaching my 500th chaser point!

I am getting pretty close and with the alerts posted for Friday and Saturday I hope to get there.

Hope everyone has a great time whatever they decide to do.

73’s

liz