Tenth Anniversary of SOTA

A tenth anniversary logo is winging its way via email to Barry GM4TOE. Providing he likes it I will post it to my Flickr account shortly with a link here in case anyone wants to include it on a QSL card or website.

Steve GW7AAV

Note: Friday 2nd March is the Anniversary for G and GW. GM is later in the year. So if you miss tomorrow there is a chance to get North of the border and do it all again.

Hi Steve,

There are also tenth Anniversarys for GD and GI later this year as well as GM.

Jimmy M3EYP

It is only right and proper that SOTA’s 10th Birthday is marked by a return to my early morning pre-work activation of SOTA’s most activated summit.

So join me tomorrow morning, 2nd March 2012, and help me get SOTA’s 10th Anniversary party started in good style.

Details as posted on SOTAwatch Alerts.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M0COP:

CE-002 was my first activation on the 2nd of March 2002.

Thanks for the 10th Anniversary activation (and a new one for me, too)!

Edit@4pm: …and for G/WB-004 later, too. Another new one, bringing me up to 980 points and 247 uniques. :slight_smile:

73, Rick M0LEP

In order to have plenty of time available for an early morning activation, while not risking being late for work, I got up at 0528 on Friday 2nd March 2012, the 10th birthday of the fabulous and life-chaning Summits on the Air awards programme.

I wasn’t too groggy either, despite quiz night just a few hours earlier, and was away in the car within 25 minutes. I had anticipated beginning the ascent by headtorch, but there was enough light by the time I was parking to embark without it.

It was 40m CW on the summit, which was being brushed by a light breeze with a little mist swirling around the surrounding valleys. It was a fantastic start on 7.029MHz CW with 18 stations worked in 12 minutes - thanks for the support chasers! SOTA’s 10th Birthday party then slowed down in pace, and ended with a 28th QSO at 0729z.

No stations responded to a call on 2m FM, so it was time to go to work.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
My SOTA 10 th birthday activation was fun.

A lovely spring day on Walton Hill, warm sun and barely a hint of a breeze, and we almost had it to ourselves except for a few dog walkers and a YL on a horse - Oh, and Pete M0COP, who dodged the brambles to set up for 40 and 20 after saying hallo! I opened my batting on 2m FM, a bit disappointing, only 10 contacts but with places like Gloucester and Stowe-on-the-Wold in the log I was obviously getting out. Next went to 5 megs but got no response, a well-tried and successful set-up but I will have to look into it and see what if anything is wrong. Had a quick bash at 40 just to see that the set-up was working on that band and worked four stations including Val, G6MML/P on LD-047: there was some simply appalling operating from some of the chasers, continuing to call whilst she was talking, somebody let the alligators out of the Safari Park! Back to 5 megs, still no joy, so had a cuppa and went home. A lovely day on a nice hill plus some radio, I’m still feeling the glow!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I just had time for a quick word with Brian before setting off for the rubbish tip! This happens to be fairly close to Aconbury (G/WB-024) so a sack full of non-rubbish came too and I tried to use all the bands/modes I ever offer. Difficult (for me) pile-up on 40m with 19 QSOs, followed by few takers on 2m FM or ssb and none heard on 70cm FM. One of the 2m FM contacts lives within a mile of me but we have yet to meet; a particularly pleasing 10th Anniversary contact, Ian (G4WTF) did the first activation of several of the summits around here including Pen-y-Fan which was my first activation.

My nicest day ever for an activation, (short drive, hardly any wind, watery sunshine and lovely trees) so an excellent way to celebrate the 10th birthday.

Congratulations to the founders and to those actually celebrating their own 10th SOTA anniversaries today and this weekend.

Rod

In reply to G8ADD:

Thanks for all the qsos today on G/CE-002. Here’s a brief comparison of the two activations from the same summit, 10 years apart.

2/3/2002 12 qsos on 7MHz in 90 minutes, 11 G’s and 1 GM. Les, G3VQO and John, G3WGV being the only SOTA chasers.

2/3/2012 21 qsos on 7MHz in 21min, nearly all from known chasers in 7 countries. Also 5 qsos on 20m.

A 40m half-wave inverted V dipole and FT-817 @5w were used on both activations.

Most of the time taken for the 2002 activation was in explaining about Summits On The Air!

Nice to meet up again Brian.

Pete, M0COP

In reply to G8ADD:
After being a daily visitor to these pages for quite a while & saying “I must get out & do some activating”. I took the 10th anniversary as an opportunity to get active.
My local summit G/CE-004 Bardon Hill was the location, 15 mins from home & a short walk to the top. Th walk I’d done a hundred times was suddenly different carrying all my kit. 5 watts of 2m FM into a vertical co-linear.
Once I had got used to pressing the PTT, I made a good few contacts & had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. Will be making an extra effort to get out again soon, and also to finish off the top band vertical.
Thanks to those who made a contact with me, and thanks to all you guys for the interest & help / advice gained from reading your posts.
Now I have 10 years of catching up to do!

73 Stuart G1ZAR

In reply to M0COP:

2/3/2002 12 qsos on 7MHz in 90 minutes, 11 G’s and 1 GM. Les, G3VQO
and John, G3WGV being the only SOTA chasers.

I hadn’t realised that I’d been active in SOTA that long! Although you are in my log, with the correct QTH, I had always assumed that my first SOTA QSO was with Richard G3CWI/P, who was on SP-002 on 27/03/2002. If I actually kept a record of chases, then I’d be a point better off now!

73 de Les

“2012 marks the tenth anniversary of SOTA in the United Kingdom. Special certificates for both Chaser and Activators are being made available”

Is there a limited time period for this award?
Ho help suss out which summits to activate, is there a map (google?) showing the area boundaries?

Thanks…Stuart

In reply to G1ZAR:

Is there a limited time period for this award?

Yes.

is there a map (google?) showing the area boundaries?

No.

See perfect answers to your questions but probably not what you wanted! :slight_smile:

The current news has the full rules to the 10th anniversary awards. It’s found by clicking the green link at the top right of SOTAwatch’s home page amongst other places.

As for maps… the SOTA MT don’t provide these as there a number of 3rd party solutions. You’ll find that a good map resource is www.adventureradio.de or there are Google Earth kml files to be found. The don’t show boundaries, just the summits with details such as height, points etc.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

A special design logo perhaps …
Luc ON6DSL

In reply to G1ZAR:

Try the website http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/EWRegions/Marilyns.php

I guess this is what you are looking for.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to ON6DSL:

In reply to G3CWI:

Luc ON6DSL

The 10th Anniversary Logo…

Imgur

Sorry it took so long to get uploaded, but I have been getting my holiday home (on a SOTA summit) ready or working with zero spare time in between.
Quite a few other things have been taking a back seat too.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to ON6DSL:

Luc ON6DSL

The certificates carry a special design by Steve GW7AAV and I believe he will be making it available for use on qsl cards if they so wish

Barry GM4TOE

Oops - I see Steve beat me to it