Telescopic Pole Support for the QTH

On the occasions when you want to test the latest homebrew wire antenna at home, here is a temporary pole support which permits the antenna to be elevated and tested at a height that matches activation conditions.

Materials: 20 ltr Bucket, a length of 50 mm PVC tube and a bag of ready mix cement. Select a pipe diameter of choice.

73 Andrew VK1AD

18 Likes

:+1: I have done this a number of times!

On my first attempt……. the plastic handle quickly broke off. So on v2, I added redundant U bolts either side of the tubing so that I could put some rope across them and make a handle.

73, Lea M0XPO

3 Likes

The flat bottom tub has a diameter of 300 mm and the height is 230 mm. The PVC pipe is 600 mm long and has an inside diameter of 50 mm.

Here is a picture of my 7 metre extended telescopic pole. The tub doesn’t move an ‘inch’ even on a 50 km/h windy day like today.

I use a trolley to move it around the garden.

73 Andrew VK1AD

6 Likes

…and when it’s not being used for a mast you can use it for a brolly, get some extra shade in the garden, and pretend that’s what you really made it for all along… :wink:

4 Likes

Disguise a capacitive loaded short vertical as an umbrella :open_umbrella:

Andrew

3 Likes

I have done the exact opposite. We already had a very heavy umbrella stand and I machined a tube that would screw into the base. It is super solid. Plus, I get some exercise moving it around the patio. :smile:

3 Likes

In a previous apartment I had a sturdy holder for the rotary clothes dryer in the garden… that would also have been suitable for an antenna mast…

73 Armin

6 Likes

The cursory similarity between my hexbeam and a clothes dryer has been drawn to my attention more than once. One friend even suggested he might pick a day when I was out to lower the mast, hang some laundry on the hexbeam, and put it back up to 40 feet…

2 Likes

The quick dryer… perhaps a new business model? :smile:

73 Armin

3 Likes

I use a metal drive-on stand and a kettle bell to keep it in place. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very posh. My kettle only has a whistle not a bell.

2 Likes

Always wanted one of those as a kid.

Mine just clicks. But it does have a blue light, so still quite fancy.

Today, my portable 2 inch, 50 mm pole support spike in action at Mt Ainslie VK1/AC-040 and Black Mountain VK1/AC-042. Fortunately the wind was calm at both summits.

FYI, I worked Chris F4WBN at 10 watts from Mt Ainslie :slight_smile:

73, Andrew VK1AD

1 Like