TAKE FOUR - Top band Tuesday - feel free to join in

Hi all,

Myself @GW4BML and Kevin @MW0KXN will be continuing our mid-week madness tomorrow evening (Wednesday 15th Feb) from the SOTA summit of ‘Waun Rydd’ GW/SW-004. We will erect a full size 160m dipole in the sky (yes 80m of wire) and call out ‘CQ SOTA’ hoping to work as many stations as possible! We will be running 10w out of the Icom 705 into a resonant antenna approximately 6.5m AGL. We plan to begin activating around 21:00 UTC +/- 30 mins on 1.8-SSB and 1.8-CW. We will then move over to 3.5-SSB and 3.5-CW just in case some stations can’t get us on top band!

I wonder will we be able to make a S2S this week - are there any more operators out there like me and Kev :rofl: we’ll hopefully find out tomorrow evening if there is!

We really look forward to working some stations from this SOTA community and hope propagation is good so we can get across the pond - you never know!

73, Ben & Kev (GW4BML & MW0KXN)

7 Likes

No.

And I can’t afford to buy that much wire. :rofl:

6 Likes

Hahaaa - is that why your sticking to 145-SSB :rofl:

2 Likes

I am not sure that I would have invited comment on that. Fraser @MM0EFI has shown great restraint. I am bracing myself for other people’s responses.

As Ben has said, it would be great to work some stations from the SOTA community.

1 Like

Looking back in my log I see that in recent years I have only worked G4AZS and GX0OOO on top band for SOTA. Way, way back when I first got caught up in ham radio (late 50’s) top band was the number one choice for mobile operation, those huge clunky whips worked quite surprisingly long distances!

4 Likes

I put it as polite as I could :slight_smile: hahaaa

2 Likes

160m is a great band when it’s working well - we intend to test a few things out over the next few weeks @G8ADD Brian, so it would be great to work you :slight_smile:

73, GW4BML. Ben

2 Likes

I’ll be there, Ben, but bear in mind that I don’t even own a working Morse key so I’ll be waiting for you to pick up the mike! :wink:

4 Likes

OK, you talked me into it!
I’m not in your league chaps, but I’ve alerted for my local summit Long Mynd G/WB-005.

I’ll use the FT817 with 5 Watts to a full length low slung inverted V dipole, here’s hoping for an S2S and lots more contacts as well :smiley:

Adrian

5 Likes

Hi Ben - will listen from home. The wx forecast isn’t brilliant so 80m of wire in a 29 mph wind on a boggy summit probably won’t work for me tomorrow, but with a good weather forecast I may well try Burnhope Seat which has a summit area big enough for a 472 KHz dipole. Probably just 5w from the 817 when I have a go!

2 Likes

Hahaaa, we’ll be calling out on SSB first :slight_smile: will listen out for you Brian!

1 Like

That’s great news @G4AZS Adrian - it would be fantastic making a S2S on 160m :slight_smile: we will only be pushing 10w from the Icom 705.

I’m hoping wx conditions will be on our side, so lets see what happens.

73, GW4BML. Ben

2 Likes

Hi Paul - that’s great, we’ll listen out for you too either calling in as G4IPB or maybe S2S G4IPB/p :slight_smile:

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

The forecast shows a weak cold front passing through during the day but the barometer staying fairly high, the wind gusting to 14 mph, so it looks doable - fingers crossed!

1 Like

deleted

And I lost the top of my home brew top band whip one night in 1982 on this railway bridge just off the A49 in Euxton, Chorley, after going out giving away WAB Squares on Top Band in Lancashire!

73 Phil G4OBK

5 Likes

I’m interested in what the feed impedance of your low dipole is. It should be around 4-5 ohms plus ground loss resistance, ie. 100 ohms or more depending on recent weather and the local animals peeing acidic resistance resistance. Hook up an analyser and see what it says. :slight_smile:
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

4 Likes

Hahaha, i remember old times… have fun! the lenght of the wire is the key :slight_smile:

1 Like

We will have info for you later @VK1DA :slight_smile: all being well! The centre dipole piece won’t be as high tonight, but it will be interesting to see the change in vSWR from 9.5m high to 6.5m high. We will share our results.

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Thanks Klaus @DF2GN - the total amount of wire in the sky is approximately 80m, so we’ll see if it performs again!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like