Tablets with trrs sockets

Hi. Do anyone have first hand knowledge of windows 10 or android tablets 10inch in size that have a mic input on the headphone socket. This is so I can run PSK through the tablet. I can’t find any info on tablets with said TRRS sockets, they just say 3.5mm headphone socket.
Thanks
Anthony

I like the look of Samsung galaxy tab A and the chuwi hi10 which has win10 4gb ram and 64gb storage but dont know if either have TRRS sockets or not.

My Linx 1010 has a built in mic that works, I’ve just tried it with Spectran. I don’t have a TRRS plug to hand to try to see if that works. The web site/manual is not explicit.

How do you use the built-in mic instead of a mic input on the headphone jack? Just put the tablet close to radio speaker?

Yes. The Linx was sat on my PC desk about 1.5m from a TS570D that was tuned to the Deutsche Wetterdienst on 10.1008MHz and the nice RTTY waterfall was visible on the display. I hadn’t even played with any mic volumes. Of course other noises get received and you need to mute the speakers or it feeds back!

1 Like

Cool, at least I know it’s possible. I was looking at a 1010 linx what’s the performance like?

It’s very good for what it is. I wanted a machine that has an acceptable keyboard and could be used for email, browsing, ssh, map viewing and pdf viewing. Everything I used to do on a Nexus7 when I didn’t want a full laptop with me. The more I use it the more capable it seems. It does all that fine especially as it is only a 1.8GHz Atom quadcore machine with 2GB RAM. I have a 64GB SDcard in it and have 3.5years worth of QST as pdfs and 23GB of OS maps. That all works fine business.

The Wifi works, I’ve never had it not connect, only 802.11n and gives me 72mbps. Bluetooth works, 2x USB host is brilliant. I have been using it to rip audio CDs at work. My work laptop doesn’t have a CD drive and due to security changes, my Linux laptop that does have a drive, needs to live in the server room (can’t have machines with root access physically accessible anymore). The Linx with a DVD drive connected via USB2 running dbPowerAmp will rip and encode to mp3 at 20x read rate, it’s faster than the DVD drive can read the disk. I have a USB2 to Ethernet dongle that came from China for £2.95inc p&p that does 60mpbs for when you need a wired connection.

The other day it got left in a mode where it didn’t go to sleep waiting for a click. I didn’t notice and folded it up and put in a bag. 5hours later the screen was still on, the CPUs were wide awake and it told me it still had 6hrs battery life left. It you run all 4 cores flat out the battery probably will last 4hrs, just noodling about, you do get 10hrs.

It works for me. YMMV.

Thanks. Ill definitely take a closer look at it.

Hi Anthony,
This is a very valid point if you want to run digital modes to your rig. On Android Wolphi ( http://www.wolphi.com/ ) produces several programs for AR digital modes which can work by holding the Android device to the microphone/speaker of the rig however he also gives a circuit for and sells a built unit that plugs into the headset jack on an Android phone or tablet. Note I say headset and not headphone because as you have found out many tablets do no have an extermal mic in capability. I found that the ASUS Memo Pad Android tablet has a headset socket and is reasonably priced and from a “known make”. I have used that on RTTY and PSK31 with my FT-817ND.

On the Window tablet front, it should be possible to use a USB audio dongle to provide analogue mic input and audio out for connecting to a rig. I wonder if this might also be possible with an android tablet that doesn’t have external mic. input?

The 10" Windows 10 tablet that I have is a Acer Iconia. As yet I have only used this to remote control my IC-7300, I haven’t tried any digital modes from it as yet but it does have a headset jack (earphones & microphone). I have a USB headset also to use with this when running the IC-7300 remotely. I use a bluetooth keyboard with this tablet and find that better than the on-screen keyboard.

73 Ed.

Now that is of interest.
Trouble being in tin tin shed the metal ruins the wi fi signal and booster may or may not work.
But a lan cable from the router to the shed and via this little beauty will serve me find to me Fire tablet for lesser cost of a good booster unit and possible cheaper and people can’t tap into your signal between the shed and the router in house. Always say if it can be transmitted through the air it can be heard by a third party…
karl

Sorry, won’t work with your tablet: wrong USB, no OS support.

It could be made to run with an Android tablet (coz I’ve done it for one of our customers) but it’s not a user thing on a typical Android install. And your Android isn’t a typical but a “special” too!

B**ger.

Thanks andy for letting me know will have to go for booster opinion on the Wi Fi.
Shame really as its half price setting up as for the booster set up is.

Thanks again

karl;

Hi Karl,

If you are happy to run a cable into the shed, you could put the booster on the end of that eg inside the shed. Keep you warm in winter too :smile:

Adrian
G4AZS

Will need a booster that Lan fed as one looked at is wireless.
But good idea.

Tin shed, warm (Snigger) better install the wood stove :slight_smile:

Whole idea of wi fi in shed is while down stairs or working in shed or garden the tablet kept on Sota watch and stop miss them whilst in garden and out side.

karl

Sometimes the problem is not the strength of signal from the Wifi access point but the strength of the signal back from the tablet/laptop/phone.

If you stand outside the shed but as close as possible to where you would sit and the tablet connects and works fine the you should (should) be able to place the booster in the window of the shed. It will see the home Wifi signal and give you a usable signal in the shed. It may be the signal at the shed is too weak.

Of course, there is no need to mention that you must not buy a Wifi extender that communicates over the mains wiring.

Interesting

No window in shed, just tend to lose the signal in shed and hold tab out the door few seconds laters it back LOL
Wi fi over the mains. Don’t like sound of that could reflect back into the radio system as on mains PSU and wiring labile to act as a antenna. But to extend the ethernet cable from the router in the house to the shed to another router in shed thats becomes wireless.

Ok had a thought about it, get the Wi fi booster hang it over the shed door way as it has line of sight with the main router in house and just put away when not in garden or shed.

Bingo found what looking for plug in Lan cable in shed and boom wi fi in shed

:slight_smile: going have to introduce more mains sockets in the shed LOL
karl

I’ve used these at work and they are great. You can turn the strength down as they can transmit WiFi easily over 250m(that’s what we did) and are fully waterproof and have a LAN port on them. They can connect to your WiFi and extend it or connect via LAN and create it’s own WiFi connection for you to connect to.

Anthony

You may find this useful
http://blog.mklec.com/trrs-and-trs-plugs-and-sockets-explained/

BOOM !

PLT interference…

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/plt/

Hi Karl,
Yes one of the “standard” (Wifi RF extender) models I told you about in the private email. I have three of these currently in operation to cover this house. One actually “double extends” to another one. They can work as Access Points (AP) or Repeaters. If you take the repeater option, they use the same SSID and channel number as your router, so that you can go between them and keep your Internet connection. Taking the AP option, you can create a separate VLAN. You want the repeater option.

As I mentioned in the private mail, you have two options - 1. locate this unit at the back of your house so as to extend the Wifi coverage out into the garden and shed area or 2. locate it in the shed area to cover the garden. It depends what strength WiFi signal you are currently getting out in the garden - if it’s very weak, the repeater needs to go in the house. If it’s stronger, put it in the shed. The point of note is that the receiver in these units are normally better than the one in your tablet or laptop.

An added benefit if you have some network device that doesn’t have WiFi, you can connect it to the repeater unit with a cat-5/6 cable. There are also some of these units with two local RJ45 ports.

73 Ed.

1 Like