Summits by train

Hi Paul,
I just saw it advertised in my Radcom which arrived here only yesterday and have ordered a copy as I edited that book late last year. ( What's New ).

73 Ed.

It’s not a 10 pointer, but Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto. Kosei line to Shiga station. Bus to Biwako Valley ropeway and a short walk to the summit of JA/SI-006 Houraisan. Throw in a flight from your normal place of residence :smiley:

1 Like

Good thread. I don’t have a car and live in London. and I’m planning some more SOTA by train/walk. More suggestions are welcome. One I’ve done by train is the yorkshire 3 peaks.

Aware that it’s an old thread, but bumping for any more/new suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shining Tor G/SP-004. Train to Macclesfield. Bus to Buxton - get off at Cat and Fiddle or Peak Tearooms.

1 Like

The Cloud G/SP-015. Train to Macclesfield. Bus to Rushton Spencer walk over The Cloud, drop into Congleton and catch train again.

2 Likes

thanks Richard, I’ll plan a trip to Macclesfield, maybe train up the night before, try and do both the next day and take the train home in the evening

2 Likes

Get off here. Visit tea rooms and eat the cake. The summit is of much less importance than the cake here!

2 Likes

Travelodge right by the train station in Macc. I have never quite figured out how to do Gun G/SP-013 by public transport.

Consider this for the Wharfedale three peaks: Buckden Pike G/NP-009, Great Whernside G/NP-008, and Birks Fell G/NP-031.

DSC_0411_crop3

But more important is that I drive the bus on Fridays and Saturdays, and I can stop anywhere that is safe to do so.

Nick
G8VNW

3 Likes

Just to add a few more summits to the list that are easy by train:

Firle Beacon G/SE-010 from Southease train station, short walk
Cliffe Hill G/SE-014 from Lewes train station, short walk
Wilmington Hill G/SE-011 from Alfriston (train to Seaford then a bus to Alfriston), short walk

1 Like

…Kinder Scout (G/SP-001) from Edale…

1 Like

another useful resource when planning: All Stations Route Map

1 Like

The Wrekin G/WB-010 from Wellington (Shropshire) station, approx 12km round walk…

1 Like

Last year I got the train to Craven Arms and did Callow Hill (G/WB-015) followed by View Edge (G/WB-018), then jumped on the train back up to Church Stretton to go up Caer Caradoc (G/WB-006).
I had to run though - as best as you can on the terrain and with a backpack full of radio bits and water.
I think fitting in Long Mynd G/WB-005 as well would possible but asking a lot, even with an early start - unless there’s a bus to the top or you hitch a lift?

1 Like

Hi Pete,

It was many years ago when Richard @G3CWI activated Long Mynd Pole Bank G/WB-005 and Caer Caradoc G/WB-006 by train. Richard - you may want to let Peter MW0PJE know who for trains were by then for when you did this.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

There is this shuttle bus service from Church stretton, which goes over the Long Mynd, and would allow an activation of Stiperstones G/WB-003 as well.

It only runs in the Summer, though, 2nd June until 25th September…

2 Likes

Top picks from me to add to a list:

Tal y Fan (GW/NW-040) from Conwy, I’ve done it once :laughing:
Hope Mountain (GW/NW-062) from…Hope

Edit: and Mynydd Carn y Cefn (GW/SW-014) from Ebbw Vale Parkway

Arnside Knott is a cracker of a day out by train.

1 Like

You may have sparked an idea! I read your (much) earlier post about Arnside Knott. A return ticket to Arnside costs about a tenner from my QTH and takes about 40 mins each way.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of this thread before. It goes perfectly with my Sota eco - The 9th eco-friendly activation today
By the way, Uwe, DK8OA and I were again on DM/NS-008 by train and bus today.

73 Chris

2 Likes