Summits by train

Now there is too good an offer to ignore

1 Like

Hi Nick
I need to make use of your bus. I’ll have to work out what I can do with the connection from Ilkley. The website still talks a lot about covid e.g. having to wear face coverings. I assume that is out of date?

On the background photo on your link there are some dishes visible on the left. Is that a community broadband scheme?

73 Richard

1 Like

Hi Richard

As you have probably worked out, the timetable is designed to connect with the Skipton bus. Your options from Ilkley are rather limited, but I think still possible.
Also note that the timetable changes according to the local school holidays, so SSH means only on Saturdays and school holidays, and SD is only on school days.

Yes, the website is out of date regarding covid etc. The bus is back to its maximum capacity of 16 seats, but a few people continue to wear face masks.

I’m not sure about the microwave dishes on the hillside. There has been a lot of work installing fast internet connection as far as Buckden, so I think they may be obsolete now.

If you need any more information you can phone 01756 636161 during office hours, or email info@upperwharfedale.com, or email me at my address on qrz.

Hope to see you soon

Nick

Yes, they are! I saw Ilkley in the timetable but didn’t study it in detail. But I can see me parking at Kettlewell to do a walk ending in Buckden and then getting the bus back to the car rather than walking the last bit, especially as the days get shorter.

Late reply, but another suggestion for a visit to Germany: Brocken, DM/SA-001 - direct trains from Wernigerode, usually steam-hauled, but expensive. There’s only a “climb” of about 20 m (height difference) from the station to the summit.

1 Like

Black Combe (Silecroft station)

Scafell Pike, Hardnott, Harter Fell (via Ravenglass and the Laal Ratty to Dalegarth)

Muncaster Fell (Ravenglass Station)

Arnside Knott (Arnside)