Summer Expedition 2015

I can do CW, but SSB is much easier on my fingers and brain :slight_smile: Iā€™ll look out for your spotted frequencies and attempt both.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi All

Apologies for our early appearances on West Lomond and Bishop Hill today - a consequence of a combination of better weather and better ground conditions than we dared hope for. Though for us a good thing - just as we arrived back at the car an hour and a half early the heavens opened (and itā€™s still larruping down now). One soaking avoided :smile:

Tomorrowā€™s forecast is quite a mixture so apologies in advance for any further deviations from the alerted times/bands :flushed: (though we will do everything in our power to be QRV at 0630z looking for VK!)

73 de Paul G4MD

Gentlemen, thank you for trying. I could hear occasional snippets, but never enough to put out a call, and QSB always hit the signal hard. A few of the louder chasers helped frame when you were calling, and I could hear you at those times, but yeah, QSB and youā€™d be gone before four or five characters were sent.

Enjoy the rest of your Northern Jaunt.

Perhaps we need a facility to ā€œalert for alertsā€ - an alert for a summit you have a watch on triggers an email to you in advance :smile:

Cheers,
Andrew
VK3ARR

Hi Andrew,

Conditions were strange all day. I think conditions are at a low point at the moment. Not total wipe outs like those that occur after the sun goes beserk, but the logs on all bands from 5MHz to 18MHz include a proportion of incomplete contacts all down to chasers fading out.

Thanks to you and all the other VK chasers for listening out this morning. Tomorrowā€™s itinerary puts us on a summit at 07:30z, so if anyone down under is in the shack, then it might be worth a listen. I will work my way up the bands from 10MHz to 18MHz and maybe further up. We are on a tight schedule, but I should be able to cover 2 or 3 bands.

73, Gerald G4OIG

Apologies to all those hoping to try 2m SSB on this outing. Unfortunately the wind has been too strong on the summits and we have had to find sheltered positions out of the wind to operate, so making 2m operation impossible. I am hoping that the weather conditions will improve so I can get close the highest point. As we are rushing around and with little 2m SSB activity up here, I only have the Moxon with me and the 817 barefoot.

73, Gerald G4OIG

Another 3 summits today, 3 tomorrow and 2 before we travel home on Saturday. All has gone okay so far with only minor repairs required to the kit.

Many thanks to the chasers that have been looking for us on most summits. On the higher bands I am still looking for DX chasers and get a real kick out of getting the 5 watts over to those that have been able to copy me despite indifferent conditions.

73 Gerald G4OIG

Hereā€™s hoping for some better conditions (and less local noise) I might actually be able to hear one of you on at least one of them.

Stewart.

Hi Stewart

Very pleased we eventually managed to make it from Innerdouny Hill this afternoon!

Hope to work you from a few more of our remaining summits :smile:

73 de Paul G4MD

Hi All,

Hope you havenā€™t been too disconcerted by our running early on most summits so far. We have had much better weather than we planned for, and our fitness levels are obviously higher than we gave ourselves credit for! We have I think in nearly all cases worked through our alerted times so hope no-one has missed out as a result.

Alerts now on for tomorrow (Friday) the penultimate day of our expedition.

For some reason all three summits have potential issues with parking, so hopefully we will be on time but please bear with us if we go adrift on timing.

Looking forward to working a bunch of you tomorrow :smile:

73 de Paul G4MD

Thereā€™s room for 50+ cars at the car park by Craigowl Hill!

Which is where weā€™ll park if we canā€™t get on where we plan toā€¦

BTW found your ā€œslippery slopeā€ up Lendrick today - now also slick with mud and slime that seems to have run off the hillside. Very interesting :wink:

73 de Paul G4MD

Oh yesā€¦ you need crampons really. Front pointing on grass :wink:

As Paul said, the surface was covered by slime. I was glad of the walking poles to give me 4 points of contact onto the slope. Nice route nonetheless. :smile:

Thanks to the 2m SSB / CW enthusiasts for your support over the last few days. I have been able to copy you much easier than you have copied me. I was unable to operate from Craigowl Hill today as we were in thick mist and I was not able to find a suitable position with a takeoff to the south. Anyone who has been up the hill will understand the problem. ā€¦ just too many radio compounds up there. It was a bit like operating within a Faraday cage!

The weather is likely to be damp tomorrow, so I may not operate on the band. Keep a look out for a spot after my 18MHz sessions.

73 Gerald G4OIG

Hi All,

Well all went well today, on the parking front at least! The weather and radio was somewhat more mixedā€¦ after a good start on Turin Hill our activation of Craigowl Hill was somewhat curtailed by the QRM from the NATS facility and the clag, wind and rain that arrived on the summit shortly after we did :worried: After an enjoyable ascent of Kingā€™s Seat in glorious sunshine the weather treated us to a repeat of Craigowl, with the addition of poor conditions on the LF bands just for me - 60m was dire, and 40m beset by 59 QRN and static crashes so thanks to those stalwarts who fought the conditions to give me a reasonable number of contacts :smile:

Particular thanks to Frank G3RMD who instigated an attempt on 80m which was great fun - though my 4.5W wasnā€™t enough to be heard in the poor conditions, I copied GM4WHA, G0RQL, GM0AXY and G3RMD talking about me at 3x3 :wink:

Last day tomorrow with just two summits, hope to see you thenā€¦

73 de Paul G4MD

sorry I missed you both yesterday afternoon. Had a power cut at 12:30. Turned out ot be a cable fault across the road from me and did not get power again until 22:00

Many thanks both for your efforts

73 Graham G4JZF

Great to work you today Paul from Benarty Hill though struggled with the QSB. Shame I didnā€™t manage to work all the other hills as up till a year ago they were all in my local stomping ground, I lived in Thornton just south of Glenrothes.

73 Glyn

Donā€™t do power cuts
Have my trusty portable Yellow PSU always charged or take the M/C battery off. :smile:

Paul to much static yesterday and this morning still in bed LOL
But thanks for a great GM sota tour :+1:

Karl

A power cut in the area would have enormously improved my chances. Most of the local QRM goes away. It would also have removed distractions which meant that I missed some of the spots.

Back home now with a pile of post-activation admin to do. We had a ball activating 20 summits in the 7 days. Although we finished with a couple of damp and very windy activations, we are very pleased with the results, not least that we had the physical ability to handle the distances walked and the heights ascended. Neither of us are as fit as we used to be a few years ago when we were out in Wales once a fortnight. The challenge now is to build on the level of fitness achieved in readiness for our next outing.

Thanks for all the QSOs across the bands. It was a pity that conditions were not better, but we could not do anything about that.

73 Gerald G4OIG