Summer Expedition 2015

I know the track - I bet Tom plays it as I used to! - but in my mind the concept gets mixed up with “Der kranke mond” and “der mond ist blutig” for a general sense of foreboding. It looks a good day to stay in the pub!

Brian

Don’t drown in the green river… Pans People - Green River [Rehearsal] - TOTP TX: 01/01/1970 [Wiped] - YouTube

:sunny: I can’t think of a better reason for YouTube to exist! :sunny:

Of course as Tuesday approaches the detail of the forecast changes: yesterday a large depression was shown as centred over the north of England and the Borders, today they reckon it will be centred over the Hebrides. At least after yesterday and with what is coming I will only have to water my seed beds!

Brian

Just seen this as just back from the Brecon Beacons. We were very lucky with the wx - it was basically glorious for each of the six days we were away, save for one cloudburst as we arrived at the parking spot for the first one yesterday. We waited for that to pass and still got 7 activations done in the day - a new record for us.

Did quite a few trigs on the WAB net, though sometimes I couldn’t find a net running. Completed the last 9 needed for all 41 GW/SW summits activated, and managed to collect the 6m/10m Challenge multiplier on all 19 activations over the six days.

I doubt Gerald and Paul can possibly be as lucky as Jimmy, Liam and myself with the wx, but hope some of that luck heads north for you. Have a great trip guys.

Oh yes, Brian, I’m gigging tonight with a band called Retrobeats, and most likely playing the song in question!

Have a good gig, Tom. One band that I was in played that song every gig, it was a favourite of the singer - trouble was he had never actually thought about the words, he made it sound quite jolly!

Brian

Hi Neil, many thanks and sorry to be so elusive but we have to get it when we can… Hope we make it on a few at least!

Mark, Wx like we had on Ward’s Stone would be too much to hope for in GM! Very glad to hear all going well with the new job. We’ll be looking out for you! Will try to get the alerts on as accurately and as early as possible.

Tom, thanks for the good wishes. Glad you were favoured by the weather angels in GW! Looks like they’re otherwise engaged in GM at least until midweek, we’ll just make the best we can of whatever’s delivered :smile:

73 to all, and look forward to working a bunch of you over the next week

de Paul G4MD

Well we had a strange activation this afternoon, didn’t we! I tried to find a clear frequency on 14MHz, but it was difficult with the contest going on. The vertical tuned up on 18MHz, but I only worked Matt KA1R and Andy MM0FMF/P. I eventually found a reasonably clear frequency on 14MHz and managed 7 contacts, but that was all. I tried 10MHz, but worked no-one (maybe the vertical was not radiating on the band) and a return to 18MHz also produced no more contacts.

Anyone know what was happening?

73, Gerald G4OIG

Andrew VK3ARR… are you around on Tuesday 06:30z for Moncreiffe Hill?

Hi Gerald

Bands seem to be very strange this afternoon. I have been bouncing around to all bands chasing activators with no joy. Not even heard any chasers calling with their higher power which is usually a sign that the bands are flat. Managed HB9TVK/P on 40M and a handful of PY’s on 10M CW but the rest of my afternoon has been on JT9/JT65 and even that’s been a struggle!

73 Glyn

Conditions we strange. Apart from a howling gale making hearing the 817 above the wind noise difficult and wondering if the new 8m pole would succumb to a big gust the propagation was wierd.

I managed 3 on 2m FM trying to see if Ken GM0AXY was about. I knew he would be easy on 10/6 for a multiplier and QSO. But Ken was unavailable. After that I tried 10m. It reminded me of a certain parrot and John Cleese… dead. Likewise 6m. 20m was full of contest QRM. I did a few QSOs on CW but was getting splattered by contest stations and I think there was another station on my QRG but outside my skip zone.

18MHz produced an NV??? station who just QSB’d away. Then KN1R who was a good signal and gave me 559. Then nada until you appeared. It’s not quite a LOS path from SS-171 to SS-264. You had, not an echo, but reverb sound to your signal. Definitely multipath in some way, possibly direct groundwave/spacewave and a backscatter. Still thanks for the S2S and complete. I also worked LZ1BD and WA2FBN (QSBing up and down) and that was it.

SIgnals were there then gone then back a few mins later. Most un-satisfyingly poor propagation on the higher bands but all the contacts were most welcome.

The lower bands were playing up as well - after nearly 50 contacts from Torlum, I struggled to round up a dozen from Knock of Creiff, and reports were all over the place. Let’s hope band conditions improve for tomorrow!

73 de Paul G4MD

Thanks Glyn. I only worked 9 in total. I was ready to blame it on the 20m vertical sitting in tall dense conifer forest. Maybe the antenna wasn’t to blame, after all getting 5 watts across the pond can’t be bad.

73, Gerald G4OIG

I was surprised you were working on speaker Andy. Headphones usually overcome the wind noise. Anyway, it was great to work you. I saw your spot on the SOTAWATCH app and I was only 2kHz up from you. I didn’t notice much multipath on your sigs. You were just very strong!

Regarding your contacts, it was Matt KA1R who was on… the wind obviously inverted the morse. :wink:

73 Gerald G4OIG

It’s a real problem for me… I had LZ1BD as LZ4BD for a while :frowning:

I activated the Knock of Creiff back in 2007 and only managed 10 QSOs using an EFHW, having activated Torlum in the morning with 33 QSOs. Maybe the hill just hates HF!!!

73 Glyn G4CFS

I managed 66 on Torlum (60/40//20/17/2) and 21 on Knock (20m). But conditions were good that day.

Hmmm, obviously the Hydro is sucking in the RF and converting it to power or heat in a bid to lower running costs. :wink:

I spent quite a bit of time today listening around for activations on 30 metres. I heard chasers a plenty, but the activators were elusive; none better than 419, and those only briefly that good. I managed a very round number of successful chases.

Yep, no problem. I’ll organise my schedule around it - here’s hoping we make the contact!

Cheers,
Andrew
VK3ARR

Great, all I need to know now is whether you run CW… no problem if not. Preferred frequencies will be 14.062 and 14.285 +/- QRM. Let’s hope for some propagation so you get your Complete.
73 Gerald G4OIG