Strangest antenna for a SOTA activation?

I’m dubious about virtually all antenna tests done by radio amateurs. Few adopt any rigorous and repeatable protocols. Fun nonetheless.

6 Likes

My tuppenceworth. (Realising that the post subject has somewhat drifted)

I use a 2m monoband. 21’ of vertical wire connected to the centre of a SO239. A 21’ counterpoise about 3’ off the ground. This connected to the outer of the SO239. The other end of the counterpoise is supported by one of my walking poles and two guys.
It’s based on a screenshot of a post I saw on facebook and I’ve no idea of the theory behind it, but I can work Greece, Italy, Spain, Germany and Croatia with 25W SSB. It’s not great for a short hop. No tuner needed and it’s resonant across the band. Needs a common mode choke on the coax feeder. So, not entirely strange, but I’ve never seen the design listed.

As for S-meters …
Due to my limited cognitive abilities and the miniscule S-meter on my ft-857 , I am usually concentrating on accurately copying callsigns and signal reports. I generally give the caller 5/9, 5/5, 3/3 or even 1/0 if they’re in the back of the box and I have to put my ear over the speaker!!

1 Like

Hi Fraser,

The arrangement you describe is sometimes known as an “upper and outer” :slight_smile: It’s quite well known. I’ve used one for several years to good effect with world-wide contacts with 5W of ssb when conditions are reasonable. My own crude experiments have suggested a degree of directivity in the direction of the horizontal element.

I’d have thought 21’ was a bit long for 20m - mine is about 5.2m per leg, trimmed for minimum SWR at 14.285MHz. Choke at feedpoint formed from 6 turns of RG58C/U coax on an approx. 100mm diameter plastic container.

73 Paul G4MD

2 Likes

Thanks Paul. That’s very useful.

Yes, I couldn’t get the 21’ make sense mathematically, but it works and the SWR is flat.

I generally have the horizontal section running east from the mast, hoping that it would enhance propagation in a north/south direction. This would contradict your findings, so must try it the other way.

My choke is probably too industrial. I made it in a hurry with what I had. Yours sounds lighter! I must make a new one…

Fraser

2 Likes