SSB Receiver

If your rig doesn’t record both sides of the audio there’ll be something here voice recorder for sale | eBay that will do.

I did that. Will show some picture of my planned setup in a waterproof box. But honestly it is not much smaller than a KX2.

So I would say KX2 with AX 1 and internal mic.

As close to a handheld as possible.

73 Joe

1 Like

I’ve brought one of those on the ship with me! (as well as FT-817, HB1B and FT70D!)

After a few days in Tilbury dock, we’ve today embarked on the first test sailing. I took a photo of the Red Sands Fort Maunsell towers that were occupied by pirate Radio 390 in the 60s, as the ship sailed past.

Out of quarantine tomorrow, and should get the permission to operate /MM in the following days.

Back on topic - sadly the Sony isn’t really hearing anything on LF, MF or HF above the QRN, so would appear to be of little use other than dozing off to sleep listening to Radio 4 on VHF (or whatever local FM station for whatever port we’re in). Thankfully the 817 with the Alexloop looks set to perform much better.

3 Likes

That Sony brings back memories - I had an ICF2001 in the late 70’s / early 80’s and literally wore out the buttons and sliders in the end.

2 Likes

This now rather tatty Sony 2001D has been my bedside radio for 30 years. Bought it down Tottenham Court Road in the good old days! Still a great radio.

4 Likes

This is a very good rx and very compact. Much better SSB and CW sound, great sensitivity and selectivity. Better than all the Sony RX I had.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

https://belrig.by/belka-DX
https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=14803

1 Like

Yes, I was just thinking out loud really. The only really modern radio I own is my Yaesu ft-3d hand held and it can record tx and rx onto an SD card, which has saved me writing down callsigns when pedestrian mobile on or near a summit.
On occassion I’ve been carrying a voice recorder along with splitter cable, the idea being that the splitter lead would take the incoming audio from the radio headphone output and feed it to earbuds and the recorder. The recorder would also record my live audio via it’s mic. I’ve yet to plug it in!

It would be awesome if you could find a web sdr and record your ssb output on that as well as recording incoming ssb onto a voice recorder. Then you’d have the full dialogue in ssb! The closest I came to this was when operating on Goatfell, Isle of Arran. A local station recorded our 2m ssb qso and put it on twitter. I nicked the footage for my video and synched it to footage of me talking into the mic.

1 Like

I am awaiting a TECSUN 368 .

I’ve found it pretty handy to be able to monitor a second band/frequency when I am using a remote rx, and it would be well worth carrying this little guy for that.

I primarily want it because of the very low rx power vs the '817 (1/20th). On long trips the '817s RX is what’s burning up the battery. It might even end up chopped up and added inside my next set of covers for the '817

I expect it to be based on Si4735.

Malachite has a poor rep with the one person who I know has one

I had an MCHF clone for a while and I built a splitter cable that allowed me to plug headphones in and a mobile phone. It took a little messing to get the phone to acknowledge the cable as headphones, but after that I was able to record both sides of a QSO - with monitor being used for my side. Primarily because I was using a Harris military headset for the most part both sides sounded great as the headset did internal compression due to how it was constructed.

Of course the issue of trying to use a separate receiver to record both sides of the QSO is that it needs to be plugged into the same antenna or at least one as good as being used by the transceiver, then deal with the massive overload of the local transceiver transmitting.

I think I’m after un-obtainium without the facility being built into the radio.
As said before, still interesting to know what there is out their receiver-only, as I’ve never ever looked into the options.

Mark.

1 Like

Thanks for the recording. I think you were experiencing summit brain, I get it all the time.
Sounds really good the recording however, and sooo easy when built in.

1 Like

Mark,

An audio recorder hooked up to record both sides of the contact will always be in tune, does not have huge level changes to deal with and you can find small lightweight recorders at cheap prices from the usual sources.

Andrew

1 Like

I owned a Yupiteru MVT-7100. That was quite good Mark.

Might be able to pick up a cheap one second hand.

Mark,
A one transistor regen Rx will receive SSB on 160 m 80 m and 40 m nicely. You could build something with two transistors and a ring mixer for a Delux version.

If that isn’t the perfect response it’s because your question can have many answers.

Ron
VK3AFW.

That’s a great suggestion.
Cheers, Mark

I reviewed a pretty good portable receiver in this video.

1 Like

Mark,

I have a SDRplay RSPdx receiver. Approx 11cm x 10.5cm x 3.5cm; 336g. All modes. I found it has excellent performance on VLF to 70cm. Needs SDRuno software on tablet, etc which can run on ARM Raspberry Pi OS (or on Windows 10, etc).

73 Andy

1 Like

… but, for convenient (e.g. on family holiday, business trip) I would take my Sony ICF-SW7600GR shortware/MW/VHF FM radio. HF performance is pretty good with an external long wire [not as good as the SDRplay] but a nice one-box solution. Approx 18cm x 12cm x 3.5cm, 637g (with batteries).

It has controls for SSB (LSB/USB/fine tune) and a wide/not so wide ‘tone’ filter which is good for non-contest CW on the narrower setting.

This just appeared on my Facebook feed. I did not know that this was a thing!

SDR Touch is an Android app which will work with an SDR dongle. They also produce a suitable driver.

There may be other options for the app.

1 Like

I still don’t see why you want to use a second receiver to do this when you want to record both sides of the AUDIO.

You need some audio matrixing/buffering/mixing and that can be done with OpAmps (single rail) and a FET or two to mute inputs (mute mic input when no PTT).

Take mic / ptt (from mic) and feed into buffer. Buffer feeds radio and gain stage, use PTT to gate off mic audio then take to radio. Take headphone output to buffer. Buffer feeds audio amp/speaker/headphones. Buffer signals are mixed and fed to digital voice recorder. Probably need nothing more than some CA5160 single rail opamps and 2N3819 FETs and a bunch of plugs and sockets. If you wanted to be clever, put a proper RF clipper in the mic signal.

As someone who has spent the last 38 years primarily programming embedded software etc. I like this kind of solution because there’s no DAMN SOFTWARE in it, it’s just schoolboy audio stuff.