Special Event Call for SOTA 20th Anniversary in Scotland

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the start of the SOTA program in Scotland on 1st July 2002, I have obtained a special event call GB2OGM. The call sign is valid for the month of July. UK special event call signs are only valid for operation from a fixed place that has public access. The location for this call is from the summit of Scotland’s most popular SOTA summit, Tinto Hill GM/SS-064. I hope to activate the summit several times during the month on as many bands as possible. I’ll be happy for anyone to contact me and we can do a joint activation if they too want to use the callsign.

Roger MW0IDX had some problems with the call GB20SOTA and so I decided that I’d get a call that looked like it had a 20 in it as it could be applied for using the online process.

So the call is GB2OGM or Golf Bravo Two Oh Golf Mike

(And yes, I expect that to cause problems for some people! :slight_smile: )

12 Likes

Golf bravo two oscar golf mike?
Not two zero golf mike?

I see it’s having the desired effect before it’s been on air. My work here is done :slight_smile:

Pete, it’s an Oscar.

2 Likes

On using PHONE it’s not uncommon for stations to reply to me as Golf Four Zero Bravo Kilo. They are usually newly licenced hams who haven’t done much, if any short wave listening. It’s never happened on CW needless to say!

73 Phil

1 Like

I’m hoping to get this 20th anniversary call GB2OGM on the air this Sunday 10th July from Tinto. All depending on the WX of course and my car being a little under the weather. Watch for alerts.

If anyone wants to join me, a PM nearer the time will confirm whether I’ll be out.

3 Likes

@MM0FMF

Just a heads up that IARU is this weekend ending noon UTC Sunday.

Contest bands presumably full in CW and SSB segments.

Plan accordingly!!

Paul

No Paul,
WRTC2022 although it kept its 2022 name will only happen in July 2023 due to the COVID lockdowns causing delays in the preparations.

73 Ed.

It does coincide with the IARU HF contest when it does run. It did in 2018 (where I was in the media team) and it will in 2023.

@DD5LP
Hi Ed

You’re correct and i provided the correct contest link (IARU) but wrong text (not WRTC as you pointed out) and I corrected the original post to help minimize confusion (or not).

Nevertheless a contest possibly fills the bands.

Thanks Ed.

Yes, after the CQWW HF contests, the IARU HF contest is probably the most popular and brings lots of high-powered stations onto the already congested bands (especially in Europe).

So I would recommend looking to the WARC bands if conditions allow but be aware that all the people who have been pushed off the regular bands by the contest traffic will be on the WARC bands with you.
73 Ed.

1 Like

As my car is a little poorly, I’ve decided it’s not that wise an idea to drive out to do this tomorrow. As soon as it’s fixed (27th July as I wait for parts and Summer holidays to finish) I’ll put the call on at the end of the month. Sorry if you were all super excited about working this special call.

4 Likes

Evening Andy,

As discussed that’s Anne (GM4UXX) and myself set for Tinto GM/SS-064 on Saturday 16th. Should be QRV 1200Z. Will have HF 60, 40, 20M - SSB about 30W and FM/SSB on 144/145. Battery wise we should be operational for >3hrs. (13cms for Andrew G(M)4VFL S2S with GM/SS-250 ) Golf Bravo Two Oscar Golf Mike (GB2OGM).

Work you?

73 fer nw

(;>J

1 Like

Possibly :slight_smile:

I’ll forward the NoV and email saying you can operate the station.

3 Likes