Special callsigns for 2012

I have just received the February 2012 issue of RadCom. As widely predicted, there will be some optional changes to UK callsigns to celebrate the two major events in 2012 – the Diamond Jubilee of HM Queen Elizabeth II, and the London Olympic and Paralympic Games.

From 0000 BST on 5th May until 2359 BST on 10th June, all individual and club licence holders will have the option to apply for a NoV allowing the addition or substitution of the letter ‘Q’ in place of the Regional identifier. For example, G3VQO could become GQ3VQO, MM0FMF could become MQ0FMF, and 2E1ZZZ could become 2Q1ZZZ.

From 0000 BST on 21st July until 2359 BST on 9th September, all individual and club licence holders will have the option to apply for a NoV allowing the addition or substitution of the letter ‘O’ in place of the Regional identifier. For example, G3VQO could become GO3VQO, MM0FMF could become MO0FMF, and 2E1ZZZ could become 2O1ZZZ.

As stated above, these options will be available by NoV. An on-line process for obtaining the NoVs will be available from 1st March.

The prefix GB2012 will also be available for Special Event Stations related to the Olympics, and four ‘flagship’ stations will appear using the form 2O12 followed by a single letter.

As these changes are subject to NoV, any visitors to the UK operating under CEPT rules will have to use the standard options of M/ or MM/ etc.

73 de Les, G3VQO

Hi Les,

Are UK foudation licence holders allowed to apply for these special callsigns?

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

I think it is open to all.

Some calls will be very nice

G4RUN becomes GO 4 RUN
G4SWI when mobile becomes GO 4 SWIM
G4JUM when portable becomes GO 4 JUMP

73 de G4VFL

In reply to G4VFL:

Thank you for your reply.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

The full info is on the gas board’s website.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to M3EYP:

The full info is on the gas board’s website.

Andy
MM0FMF

LOL!

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to G4VFL:

Some calls will be very nice

Only one I can think of for the Q prefix is G4MEN, which becomes GQ 4 MEN. Would that be construed as advertising?

By the way I don’t who that is but he/she lives in Cheltenham.

Steve GW7AAV (Who won’t be bothering)

Hmmm… So, D,E,I,J,M,U and W are reserved for personal callsigns, C,H,N,P,S,T and X for club callsigns, and B for beacons and repeaters (as noted below, thanks). They used R last year, and Q and O are being used this year. That leaves A,F,G,K,L,V,Y and Z. How many of those have they also already used?

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to M0LEP:

Beacons (and Brepeaters)

Alba

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:

Beacons (and Brepeaters)

One more down… :wink:

In reply to M0LEP:

GA was used in Scotland
GB obvious
GG was used for 100 years Girl Guides
GK0 was used from Runnymede with the suffix JFK
GV was used in connection with VE day
GZ is used in the Shetlands as a short call for contests etc

That leaves just L and Y unused

73, Jim, G3ZQQ

In reply to G3ZQQ:

That leaves just L and Y unused

Game’s almost over, then… :wink:

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to M0LEP:

IIRC Q was used in 2002 for the Golden Jubilee and E was used back in 1977 for the Silver Jubilee.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

IIRC Q was used in 2002 for the Golden Jubilee and E was used back in
1977 for the Silver Jubilee.

…so they’re prepared to re-use special letters after a while, then. I guess back in 77 there were no 2* amateur calls, so using E wouldn’t have been ambiguous?

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to M0LEP:

Added info.
In January 2000, we used /2K since 2A-2Z are allocated by ITU to the UK.
In my case, I signed G3ZQQ/2K which counted as 2K3 for prefix counters.

73, Jim, G3ZQQ

In reply to G3VQO:
Hi all there are some other special special call signs to listen out for this year, the one’s for Preston Guild

Preston Guild is a historic celebration dating back to 1179. It is the only Guild still celebrated in the UK and as such is unique. The 2012 celebration will be the first Guild in the 21st century and the first since the granting of Preston’s city status in 2002. Held only once every twenty years, the Guild plays an important role in the development of Preston as a thriving and important Lancashire city.

In reply to 2E0NHM:

Which summits will the guild be activating?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF: the same as the Queen LOL

In reply to 2E0NHM:

the same as the Queen

I wonder if she asks her own Park Rangers for permission to activate Arthur’s Seat? Or do you reckon she just wings it and hopes she isn’t rumbled?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
My money is on her Winging it by Royal decree :slight_smile:

Nigel
2e0nhm