Sotamaps mapping error

To put it in context, one StreetView is the equivalent cost of 7 map views. We should easily stay in the map view free tiers. The StreetView one is a bit touch and go. I suspect that’s why Google decided that they wanted me to suddenly click a button. In any case, the button was clicked, and we’re back, and SV is removed. I like the idea of a link out to GoogleMaps for the situations where SV makes sense to look at.

:blush: I’m surprised it took me so long to think of such a good idea! :blush:

There are off road “street views” that do include trails. I don’t know if anyone has recorded a summit yet. Who is going give that a go with a SOTA summit?

Well, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle says that you’re bound to come up with the idea, completely at random, sometime within a time-frame of, say, a billion times the lifetime of the Universe. So, you’re a lucky man!

Are you calling him a typewriting monkey?

There are some great ones in Greenland, even with some sections that can only be covered by boat.

Tee-hee… Let’s just say typewriting Haggis.

Let’s improve a spectacularly funny Eddie Izzard sketch.

“Où est le singe?”
“Le singe est dans l’arbre… Mais non! Le singe est assis à la machine à écrire!”

1 Like

Implemented! - just double-click on a summit marker in the main mapping page.

Getting Google Maps to load in new tab on double click => 5 minutes.

Getting Google Maps to load at the right place, and right(-ish) zoom AND place a marker => 3 hours.

Those Google people don’t make it so easy to use their products…

1 Like

:man_cartwheeling: :+1: :man_cartwheeling: :+1: :man_cartwheeling: :+1: :man_cartwheeling: :+1: :man_cartwheeling: :+1: :man_cartwheeling: :+1:

Nah, not enough icons: where’s the medals, and hooch, and dancing girls?

Avec le singe :wink:

2 Likes

May we, mon sewer!

Oh no Jim - is nowhere private any more?
Actually with the latest European data/privacy laws, I wonder if the guy with the google backpack will get all the required signatures of the other hikers he included as they pass below him 100m further down the mountain (but in the picture) ?

Ed.

Is that what the Google pano vehicle has to do with all the cars, buses and trucks it passes on the road?

If it shows the people inside the vehicles - I’m not sure … any way I can’t believe that Google have come up with a back pack 360 camera unit - they have it seems but really - isn’t this technology going too far ?

Ed.

I don’t know: I’ve seen some quite good streetviews taken on mountain summits, and they’ve been pretty good. And, yes, the backpack unit is used by many in out-of-the-way places.

“No expectation of privacy in a public place” is the phrase you are looking for Ed.

1 Like

2 Likes

Well, that would be my view of TRX pano displays and RBN’s and CFM for SOTA and suchlike, but I guess I’m in a minority there