SOTAdata - activator log entry not as touch type friendly

Hi,

Lots of cool stuff in the new SOTAData website.

One nitpick (and I guess the issue tracker isn’t public, so…)

The previous iteration was easy to transcribe a log directly with the web interface if you touch type. Key in the first QSO for the activation. Subsequent ones just required a backspace, enter time and callsign and hit enter. Unless the band changed, then update that as well. It was quite quick and easy as a touch typist to enter an activation log that way.

As it is now, it’s not as quick. It’s not horrible, but it’s not as good.

Any intent to support that to the previous level or no? If no, I’ll switch to some sort of transcription system and then upload the log file. I guess there are a few solutions. (Or I could write another.)

Thanks and best regards,

Drew
n7da

1 Like

The most efficient possible way to enter a paper log is Fast Log Entry (FLE):

The FLE notation is simple and intuitive. Perfect for touch typing. Once you have the log entered you can export a CSV that you upload to SOTA Data. If you don’t like Windows, then use FLECli which will run on anything (even a Chromebook):

2 Likes

Yep. FLE and friends is what I had in mind if I use an external program.

I still like paper log during activation. Usually use a piece of A/A4 paper folded twice. Need to bring an anvil to clip to it to keep from blowing away on summits folks like to call “Windy”. Haven’t lost one yet, but bound to happen if I don’t. Those small clipboards with an extra clip at the bottom look about right.

Drew
n7da

1 Like

I do 100% of my logging on spiral bound ‘Rite in the rain’ waterproof logbooks and a mechanical pencil. I’ve tried logging on my phone and on a tablet… I find it awkward and slow. Also, wet touchscreens don’t work very well!

Give FLE a try… you will like it.

3 Likes

I’ve always used the quick method on the computer. But after that I had to enter my frequent S2S a second time. That was much more cumbersome.

73 Chris

2 Likes

Enter to add a newline when in the comments field should now be supported but I can’t remember if I pushed it to the repository and I am away from my Dev laptop now, so I may be wrong :slight_smile:

1 Like

I export to ADIF. The same file can be uploaded to SOTA, POTA, Log4OM,…

1 Like

Just tried it - it’s awesome! It will be my number one choice going forward.

2 Likes

I keep ALL my logs both home station and portable in one system, so I enter paper logs into my main logging program (cqrlog) and then export an adif for uploading to the SOTA database.

2 Likes

I’ve started using FLE, I find it quite good.

Is there a way to enter multiple activations in one log in FLE?
Today I activated 3 summits and it would save time if I could enter all the logs in one go rather than having to export each summit and starting a new file.
I’ve tried adding a new "mysota " line but it doesn’t work.

1 Like

No. You could send a feature request to the author.

2 Likes

In the directory where I keep my SOTA logs I have a file called blank.log. When entering a new log I do something like this:

cp blank.log 20-06-2023-w7w-cw-030.log (I use the date and sota ref in the filename).

Then I edit the new log, which already has the headers: mycall, mysota, date. I just need to correct the date/ref and then enter my contacts.

Entering multiple logs in one file is a good idea. @ON4KJM any chance you could add that in a future version of FLEcli?

2 Likes