slepy FLE and FLEcli inspired SOTA log entry (in Python)

This thread:

tipped me off to FLE and FLEcli. Cool! Especially as I still prefer logging SOTA by hand.

I do write GUIs, but I’m a fan of CLI when the GUI doesn’t offer much value. FLE clearly straddles that boundary. :slight_smile: This was an excuse to try to remember what I could from the dragon book and to try out that pyparsing library I’ve known about for a long time but hadn’t had a use case for, yet.

The result is here: slepy. Direct link to description and examples including a handwritten (or should I say handscribbled? log) here: slepy documentation.

The biggest difference from the FLE format is that I followed the way I hand log time. (If someone can point me to a video where I can watch someone logging on paper with the FLE style time notes, it’d help me to understand that style.)

Some fun potential modifications:

• Hardcode your callsign.
  • Use current date if not given.
  • Simplify the syntax. No need for ‘my_reference’ or ‘s2s’ for example.
  • Check values for validity including summit references.

Thanks to @WU7H for some useful correspondence.

Best regards,

Drew
n7da

4 Likes

Drew, thanks for sharing your work.

Regarding time entry in FLE, I found it pretty straightforward. When I log on paper I have columns of time, call, RST sent, RST received (the latter two not always completed in the heat of the moment). Here is an example from the FLE text file from a portion of my most recent SOTA activation:

17m CW
2055 K0LAF
56 N0RZ
57 AK5SD 7 3
58 W0MNA 429 339
59 W0ERI 439 339

2055 is the UTC time entry for K0LAF. The subsequent times are in minutes only. I was happy to see that the recent update to FLE now exports RST to ADIF.

73 de Roy WN3F

4 Likes

Yup, Roy showed it perfectly. I only write the full UTC time on the first QSO in my log, then I only record the minutes. When I have a pileup going I can work 2 or 3 per min, so I don’t write down anything for time if the minute is the same. When the hour changes I will record it for one QSO, then back to only writing the minute.

FLE syntax is great.

2 Likes

Just the FLE idea is great. Thought it would be fun to do something custom for the way I happen to hand log. Saving it as a programming exercise for this student to modify it for the FLE timestamp style.

Bonus: this runs on anything and don’t even have to compile it to run it. Hackable, too.

Drew
n7da

3 Likes

I use FLE. I log on paper and write down in the FLE order so that’s time (usually just the minutes) before the callsign and then the reports (usually just the S assuming R=5 T=9). But I usually write down the callsign first and then fill in the time later. I just leave a gap to the left of the callsign in my notebook. So on paper it exactly matches the FLE format but I can actually put pen to paper in any order.

2 Likes

If I make a FLE timestamp style variant of this program, are there any other changes from my format that folks would want to see?

Drew
n7da

1 Like

Allow a new summit/date to be entered as part of the log data:

(I’ve sent it to Bernd as a feature request for FLE but don’t know if he will include it)

1 Like

More than one activation in the input file seems doable. my_reference and/or new date to indicate a new one. (I ran an activation a while ago that went over the UTC rollover. Not on New Year’s and not really on purpose. But that turns out to be two activations.) Carry over the last freq/mode or reset them at this point?

Something like this:

#Header
mycall MW0PJE/P
mysota GW/NW-001
#Log
2m FM
1000 mw0abc
01 mw0abd
mysota GW/NW-002
1200 mm0abe
01 mm0abf
mysota GW/NW-003
1400 mi0abg
01 mi0abh
1 Like

Carry over previous freq/mode. Makes sense. Thanks for the input!

I have no idea what all this means. I have, however, had two glasses of wine and so all is well with the World.

4 Likes

I fully understand what they are talking about but :hearts: for an honest answer. Cheers :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

On topic: If someone would squeeze this code into a webapp (on sotadata maybe) the SOTA ecosystem would benefit a lot :+1:

73 Joe

1 Like

I have about half the code written already to accept FLE files. Other priorities got bumped higher.

3 Likes

I don’t know what your backend is, but if you can use python and could use some code, let me know. FLE import on the web site would be awesome! Well, even better if the format I like. :slight_smile: I’ll suffer and translate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If folks could send me some example FLE files, I can do some testing of my parsing code. Easiest option is via PM (click on my Callsign, hit the “Message” button), and copy/paste the file into the message (use the “preformatted text” option so Discourse doesn’t interpret things weirdly).

1 Like