SOTA trip to G/DC and G/SC

Next week Martyn M1MAJ and I will be off to the south west with the main aim of activating our remaining uniques in the area, though we may also redo some previously activated summits if time and weather allow. We’ll have a few days based on the Devon/Cornwall border for the G/DCs, and then move to Somerset for some G/SCs. Will try to put up alerts when specific plans are firmer.

As usual I’ll be looking for VHF and especially UHF contacts, though I get the impression that it may not be a good area for them. Martyn will normally concentrate on HF - 60m, 40m, 20m, whatever seems to be working!

I have routes for all the summits having been looking at previous activation reports, but am not impressed with either DC-006 Carnmenellis or DC-008 Hensbarrow, so would welcome any useful recent experiences of them.

5 Likes

Weather not looking good, but we will probably try to do Brown Willy G/DC-002 today, but may abandon if too wet.

3 Likes

It looks like I was last to publish an activation on G/DC-006.

It was after a lot of rain so beside the gorse the ground was quite wet. I should have used boots or wellies not trainers.

I followed G4OBK’s route this time, the tracks were churned up with cattle so there was a lot of mud. I found it better to stay away from the wall where I could the ground was a bit dryer. There is a notice on the gate saying private but it is marked as Access Land on the map. The footpath to the Access Land goes through the farm and had you would have to get past the dogs, better to stick to the G4OBK route. There was cattle on the Access Land but they were bored and wet so ignored me.

I was there for a 4m QSO but had to work hard for VHF contacts this time. I didn’t Alert so I was not too surprised at there not being many people on at random near tea time.

My suggestion would be to send a direct e-mail to those who have chased the summit recently on 2m.

The Tx mast gave me trouble on 2m and I had taken a bandpass filter for 4m. On the previous trip I had failed on 4m due to the Tx mast overloading the Rx. People could hear me but I couldn’t hear them. If you have a bandpass filter for 2m don’t leave it in the car !

Some 1 point summits count for more than others, this is one that counts for a lot !

This time 0 points but I did get the one 4m QSOs so objective achieved.

73 de

Andrew (G4VFL)

2 Likes

We did activate Brown Willy G/DC-002 today, though it was a struggle in a number of ways. We took the route from the north over the edge of Rough Tor. Given the forecast and the rain we had driven through to get to the parking we set off in waterproofs and with rucksack covers on. It was windy throughout, but on the outbound route it was mostly dry with only some light rain. As we approached Brown Willy the wind became much stronger, making it difficult to safely pick through the rocks. We did make it to the trig point but it was hard to stand or move safely: trying to keep 3 of feet and walking poles on the ground for stability!

Brown Willy in distance

Brown Willy

Brown Willy towards Rough Tor: I was struggling to stand to take this one, so it’s surprising the trig looks anything like vertical!

We carefully made our way down onto the more sheltered eastern side, and managed to find a sheltered spot behind some rocks near the summit where I could try to get a 2m antenna over the rocks and Martyn could spread out an HF antenna.
I decided that the 2m dipole was too fragile for the wind and used the EFHW rucksack antenna raised on an extension pole. I expected to struggle on 2m, but started well with a husband and wife pair, but then nothing. When Martyn came over to see how I was doing I expected him to ask if I needed HF, but instead he asked if he could have VHF contacts as the HF antenna wasn’t matching. I persisted and over 90 minutes managed to get 10 VHF contacts. Martyn grabbed 5 of them in between trying to sort out the HF dipole, but was unsuccessful.

VHF setup hiding from wind behind rocks.

Useless HF antenna!

Light rain had started soon after we arrived at the summit and continued on and off, but by the time we were packing up was becoming more serious. Once out of the shelter of the rocks, it was a less pleasant walk back with driving 45degree rain in our faces: sometimes heavy, sometimes lighter. It was the sort of rain that proved that none of our waterproof gear is actually waterproof, though we would have been a lot wetter without it.

Back at the holiday cottage Martyn discovered a broken connection, which meant he was using half a dipole :frowning:. Not clear if he can fix it at the holiday cottage, so it might be the spare dipole with less bands tomorrow.

Many thanks Andrew G4VFL for the information about Carnmenellis: timely as we are hoping to do it tomorrow. We will be wearing boots (provided that they and everything else have dried out from today’s soaking). We were hoping to get Carnmenellis and Watch Croft done in the same day, given the limited time we have at our current base near the Devon/Cornwall border, but the forecast for tomorrow is also looking rather damp, so not sure we will manage it.
I do have a bandpass filter for 2m: just need to make sure it gets back in the rucksack which is drying out.

9 Likes

Well done for overcoming the struggles and successfully activating G/DC-002. I listened out for Martyn when I saw his spots on 40m but didn’t hear anything. Bad luck on the antenna.

Hope things go more smoothly on the next one! :point_up::point_up::point_up:

73, Matthew M0JSB

2 Likes

Aiming for Carnmenellis G/DC-006 and Watch Croft G/DC-007 today. Long drive so not sure of times or it we’ll manage both of them.

1 Like

We got back from the trip at the weekend. We were too busy driving to, walking up and activating summits to do reports on the fly. Some reports may appear here when I have time to write them.

A quick summary of the 11 days activity:

• 18 summits activated, 14 of them uniques for both of us.
  • That means that we have both now activated all of G/DC and G/SC, and as a bonus we also managed to activate our last remaining G/CE on the way home.
  • I got at least one 2m FM contact on all 18 summits, but only got 4 qualifying 2m contacts on 15 of them.
  • I got at least one 70cms FM contact on all 14 of the summits I tried 70cms (weather conditions or time constraints meant I didn’t manage to deploy a 70cms suitable antenna on the other 4), getting 4 or more 70cms contacts on 9 summits. I needed to venture onto HF to qualify 4 summits, but also did some HF just for fun.
  • Apart from the antenna disaster on Brown Willy mentioned above Martyn activated all the hills on HF. He always started on 60m and got at least one contact on all remaining 17 summits, but only qualified on 60m on 8 summits. One or other of us activated the 17 summits on 40m. On some summits where we had time 20m and 10m were also used. The backup HF dipole we were using only had 60, 40, 20 and 10 available.

A special thanks to those who worked me on 2m, and especially those able and willing to QSY to 70cms.

5 Likes

Some photos now added to that report.

It was a long drive, but we managed both of them on 11th September 2024. The forecast was still suboptimal: some sunshine but also showers, some heavy. We managed to get out to the holiday cottage on the Devon/Cornwall border reasonably early. It took 1:15 to drive to the parking for Carnmenellis.

We parked in the rough layby at SW688364, donned boots and rucksacks and set off along the road, straight on onto a footpath where the road bends right, follow the footpath round a right bend, and take track left to access area. The gate to the access area has a faded notice saying it is private, but beyond it is now access area. The gate is also broken and only on half a hinge: It wouldn’t easily open, so we climbed over onto the muddy cow churned area beyond. Over rough ground beyond the cows to a more bracken and heathery area ascending towards the summit, finding a bit of a path not far from the fence. We had driven through some showers and there were still some about, and one arrived as we neared the summit. Given the weather we decided not to cross the barbed wire fence to the trig point as the vegetation beyond looked worse than where we were which was well inside the activation area.

Martyn found space for the HF dipole in the less dense vegetation below the fence. Caroline used a fence post to support the end fed half wave VHF antenna on an extension pole, deeming it too windy for the dipole. She also needed to use the 2m bandpass filter to block out interference from the many antennas on the summit: this meant that 70cms wasn’t possible. It took Caroline 15 minutes to get 6 2m FM contacts on the log, but then it went quiet. Meanwhile Martyn had moved to 40m after only getting 3 on 60m. He had 17 40m contacts in the log by the time Caroline wandered over after finishing her lunch to see how he was doing. The terrain made it awkward to change the links to 20m, so Caroline continued on 40m while Martyn ate lunch, getting another 4 contacts.

HF setup

HF setup with Redruth antenna mast in distance.

VHF antenna and source of interference!

We retraced our steps back to the car. When we picked up a traffic report, we were glad that we decided to take the more southerly B3280 towards Penzance as the A30 was blocked by an accident on the Hayle bypass. The B3280 wasn’t a fast road with many sections not really two cars wide, and it took about 50 minutes to get to our parking for Watch Croft. It seems most people approach from the south, but we decided to approach from the north, parking in a parking area opposite the remains of the Engine house of Garn Gilver Mine at SW420363.

remains of the Engine house of Garn Gilver Mine

We headed back down the road and took what looked like a path heading in the right direction, but it disappeared into deep vegetation, so we re-examined the map, retreated to the road and continued down it, until a clear path headed off left near the low point of the road. Once on the proper path it was easy walking up to a path crossing where we turned right towards the summit. This path narrowed as it ascended but was in general wide enough to avoid tangling in gorse and heather. The trig point sits atop a pile of stones, with excellent 360 degree views.

Ascending Watch Croft

Ascending Watch Croft

Ascending Watch Croft

Having seen nobody else since we left the road, Caroline took advantage of the hole in the trig point to erect the 2m dipole, but after 3 contacts in 10 minutes it all went quiet on 2m FM. Meanwhile Martyn was struggling to find somewhere to get the HF dipole up, the summit being covered in gorse and heather with few narrow paths. He eventually got it up, but at the expense of multiply blood stained trousers where the gorse had attacked him. Martyn also got stuck after 3 contacts on 60m, so we partially shared 40m (wanting to minimise link changes given hostile vegetation). Caroline ran on 40m getting 16 contacts, with Martyn grabbing one of the stronger regular chaser as well to get his 4th. He took over 40m for two more contacts while Caroline went back to 2m for final calls which picked up a mobile station to qualify the summit on 2m FM for her.

VHF

HF and VHF

Taking down HF

Late afternoon sun on Watch Croft

Descending Watch Croft.

Caroline had planned a more interesting longer return walk, but time was against us, so we retraced our steps. From the point of view of walking and views, a nice summit; for HF operation not at all nice! At least we avoided any further showers on the afternoon walk and activation, driving through some rain on the 1:15 journey back to the holiday cottage (the A30 running well as the Hayle bypass accident had cleared).

6 Likes

12 September 2024: G/DC-008 Hensbarrow Down and G/DC-003 Kit Hill.

Another day of sunshine, showers and moderate winds was forecast. Our plan was to activate our last two G/DC summits, G/DC-008 Hensbarrow Down and G/DC-003 Kit Hill. We had a good run down the A30 but needed to come off at the A391 as the B3274 which would have given a more direct route to the start point for Hensbarrow Down is closed for major roadworks.

We parked in the small muddy parking area at the start of the footpath at SW992575. It was empty so we could choose the only spot where we weren’t getting out of the car into mud or puddles. We had driven through some rain, but it had stopped by the time we were setting off on the walk. We started off on the footpath which was narrow and increasingly encroached by wet vegetation. Shortly beyond where the footpath passed a short crossing track, we deemed it to have become impassable and retreated to the crossing track which took us a short distance to the main quarry track. We followed the gradually climbing quarry track around a long left bend, eventually getting views back to the white painted 312m trig point which was on the summit of the original natural hill. We decided against a trig point visit through the damp dense vegetation.

312m trig point now about 50m below summit!

We continued on the quarry track round a right hairpin, leaving it back on ourselves along an older more vegetated track. We headed right off that track to head towards the summit of the former tip, crossing another older grassy track. Clouds were heading our way, and the wind got up as we approached the fairly rounded top, and then a shower arrived. It wasn’t clear where the true summit was, and we dropped down slightly on the eastern side where some isolated broom bushes provided a little shelter from the wind. We had views over the China Clay workings towards St Austell and along the coast.

Caroline had noticed interference on the handheld as she climbed, so this was another summit where the 2m bandpass filter was deployed, with the FT817 running into the EFHW rucksack antenna (it being too windy for the 2m dipole). This meant that 70cms wouldn’t be possible, but as it turned out there was just a single 2m FM contact, into nearby St Austell: unsurprisingly very strong signals. There was plenty of space for the HF dipole with large areas of light vegetation. For the first time on the trip Martyn qualified with exactly 4 contacts on 60m. He passed HF to Caroline for a run of 10 on 40m to qualify the hill for her too. With his lunch eaten he took over HF for 20m getting 15 contacts including an S2S for both of us. Once Caroline had finished her lunch we packed up.

VHF sheltering behind broom bush.

HF overlooking China Clay workings

HF overlooking China Clay workings

Hensbarrow Down towards St Austell.

The weather had varied over the time we were there, sometimes sun, sometimes rain, through thankfully most showers were light and/or short-lived: it looked like some places were getting more rain than we did! The return roughly followed our outbound track, except that we stayed on the quarry road all the way back to the public road. We had an hour’s cross country drive to our next destination of Kit Hill.

By the time we got to Kit Hill the showers were decreasing. We only had a few spots of rain, but while Caroline was operating HF, Martyn managed to snap a rainbow, so there was rain nearby! We parked at the car park halfway up the hill and took a track around the south of the hill before ascending to the summit. This was the nicest of the Cornish summits activated so far with good views and plenty of space for activating, it could get rather crowded on a nice summer weekend. There were people about but on a showery September weekday afternoon we could set up without too much impact, though Martyn kept an eye out for dogs around the HF antenna.

Caroline set up the VHF dipole by one of the toposcopes surrounding the ornate former mining chimney on the summit, while Martyn set up on the grassy area inside the polygonal folly enclosure. We had visited the trig point but deemed it too awkward for HF (and there are notices discouraging walking over some of the earthworks near the trig point). Once setup it took Caroline 10 minutes to get 4 2m FM contacts. Best DX was a contact into Swansea, crossing most of the Cornish peninsula. For the first time on the trip Caroline was able to try 70cms, but only one of the 2m stations was strong enough on 70cms for a contact. 60m was still playing reasonably well, so Martyn qualified the hill with 4 contacts there before moving onto 40m where he got 10 contacts including 1 S2S for both of us. We finished off the activation with a run of 5 contacts on 20m for Caroline. We roughly retraced our steps on the return, with a brief diversion to look at the remains of the South Kit Hill Mine (mostly chimney stack).

Ascending Kit Hill

Kit Hill

Kit Hill

Kit Hill

Kit Hill

Kit Hill rainbow

Kit Hill VHF setup

Kit Hill HF setup

Kit Hill HF setup

South Kit Hill Mine

2 Likes

Thank you for the reports and photos… they reminded me of my vacation 5 years ago.
We spent a week in Newquay and a week in Weymouth.

Beautiful

I (only) activated 6 summits back then.

73 Armin

2 Likes

13 September 2024: High Willhays G/DC-001

This was the day when we moved from a holiday cottage on the Devon/Cornwall border to one in Somerset east of Bridgwater. The forecast was much better than previous days, with little chance of rain, and given the relatively short distance to the next holiday cottage near, we calculated we had time for a proper hill on the way. This was to be a repeat of High Willhays G/DC-001. We had checked before leaving on holiday that there was no firing on the northern Oakhampton ranges. It took only half an hour to get from doing our shopping in Launceston to the Meldon Reservoir parking, despite congestion on the A30.

It was ideal weather for hill walking, blue skies with fluffy clouds and a pleasant breeze, though it clouded over later. We ascended over Yes Tor, with a prominent trig point and only 2m short of High Willhays. There were a few people and some Dartmoor ponies by Yes Tor.

Meldon Reservoir

Cattle above Meldon Reservoir

Yes Tor

Yes Tor towards High Willhays

Dartmoor ponies

Dartmoor ponies

Fewer people continued along the ridge to High Willhays. We couldn’t work out if the large cairn or the tiny cairn marked the highest spot. Caroline propped the VHF antenna up against the rocks, while Martyn operated HF from a slab of rock a little lower: comparing photographs, a very similar spot to that he used on our first activation in November 2012.

Does the big cairn mark the summit?

Or does the little one mark the summit?

HF station

VHF station

Both stations

This was the first summit of the holiday where Caroline managed to qualify the hill on both 2m FM (7 contacts) and 70cms (4 contacts). The added height helped, that and that there were a pair of Marks operating from Kit Hill Car Park (unfortunately from a vehicle, so no S2S). Martyn struggled to two contacts on 60m, but did better with 14 on 40m. Caroline moved to 20m for another 18 contacts including 2 S2S which Martyn grabbed too.

We took a slightly longer return heading south past Fordsland Ledge and over Black Tor getting more good views. Back at the car park We used the toilets, but Caroline was startled as birds flew out as she entered. She then realised the reason for some mess by the side of the washbasin: a nest perched on top of two electrical boxes in the corner, with 3 little faces poking out.

Black Tor

What are you doing up there?

5 Likes

Excellent reports, many thanks. Lots of memories evoked from what seems like ages ago… indeed in terms of my SOTA history these summits were ages ago, apart from the more recently revised Hensbarrow Downs G/DC-008 of course. I really enjoyed reading of your exploits and look forward to more from you. Pity I was only able to get into the shack to work you from a few.

73, Gerald

3 Likes