SOTA on Tour 4

Don’t know what recording you checked against but there’s several on YouTube, some remastered to decent audio quality and some really bad.

I’ve got the original on vinyl. Same with a lot of Floyd and Genesis of that era. In some cases I’ve compared them to “remastered” versions and found quite important differences, but the remastered ones at least have much cleaner stereo.

I’ve passed your website on to my son Andrew, since changing his bass for one he is more comfortable with he has made great strides and will really appreciate your hard work.

2 Likes

Out of interest, how did the CEO check your gear, visual inspection or hooking up to test gear?
Cheers
John
m0vaz

Visual. He said he was expecting much bigger gear. When I showed him the FT-817 and FT70D, and demonstrated that they both turned on from internal batteries, he said all he really needed to check were the chargers. I brought both down to him - both are the ones supplied with the rigs when bought new. He could see immediately that they were dedicated manufacturer supplied chargers, and he at that point said “I’m happy, you’re good to use this equipment”.

The Captain had already seen a detailed request from me, and seen a copy of my licence, so most of the process had already been completed. The Captain just said that he wanted his electrical officer to confirm the electrical safety condition of the gear, and with that, permission was granted.

5 Likes

And the first SOTA chase from M1EYP/MM from the Spirit of Adventure cruise ship is:

@SV2OXS on SV/MC-058 - 20m CW

Set up on Deck 14 (observation deck) at the front of the ship. Lovely sunny day.

5 Likes

What’s the band like, Tom, what sort of line-up is there?

Hi Tom,
It’s great to see you playing radio from the ship.
I’ve got back home from hospital a few hours ago and I’ve also been chasing some SOTA after a whole week not doing it.
If you are still QRV, let’s know a frequency and time and I’ll try to contact you.
Conditions seem to be really tough according to the inexistent or very weak signals received form the SOTA activators spotted on SOTAwatch so far. Only Roger F5LKW was a solid 599 on 40m and George SV2NCH not at all that strong on 20m but he was copiable with no problems.

Guru

2 Likes

How about now on 10.119 Guru?

Just worked the SOTA station in YU on 20m and before that had my CQ answered - and QSO completed with BH1TSU, Beijing.

Edit: Now 14.057 CW

2 Likes

On 14.057 now with the PreAmp of my IC-706 ON and nothing heard from you…
Edit: I’ve now gone to 30m waiting for you on 10.118 KHz

2 Likes

And we made it!!! :v: :v: :v:
Thank you, Tom!
It wasn’t the best of the copies we’ve ever had but good enough to be properly logged.
I forgot asking you about your QTH Locator…
[edit] but I saw in your previously posted log picture that you are in Dover, aren’t you?

3 Likes

Yes. JO01pc

3 Likes

Hi Guru, good to see you back home and feeling better. :grinning: In VK3 we are in lock down till Wednesday, :unamused: staying at home all the time and itching to get out. I know how you must feel. Stay safe and well.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Hi Tom, great to hear you’re operating MM. How have you found that loop you are using? Tell me more about it.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Hi Geoff @VK3SQ

There is a more detailed account of using the Alexloop here - You too can visit G/SP-015…

So far I’m pretty impressed with it. It’s by far the most effective compact multiband solution I’ve tried. In the past I’ve been sceptical about whether these kinds of products are worth the money, but this one is good.

Put it this way, I’m using 5 watts from an FT-817 on board the ship, and China and Brazil were in the log yesterday.

Rehearsal today postponed until 8pm this evening, passengers on for the inaugural cruise tomorrow morning. So breakfast followed by a morning of SOTA chasing for me I think.

Guru @EA2IF - it was great to hear your call in CW come through, and even better to hear you confirming my report. Hope it’s the first of many while I’m /MM.

Tom M1EYP/MM

2 Likes

Thanks Tom for the link…never heard of the Alexloop. Enjoy the cruze, job and mm.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Sure, I’ll be looking forward to many more QSOs with you /MM along your sailing.
Magloops are fantastic antennas. I home brewed one several years ago and I still use it from time to time.
imagen

I have taken it to some SOTAs and have even produced some transatlantic S2S with VE. My best ever DX with it was the French polynesia on 17m, when I had the magloop in the balcony of my house in the village and my FT-817 hooked at 5W.
My magloop is 1.45m diameter and I can tune it on 17, 20, 30, 40 and 60m.
It would be great if we can have a magloop to magloop contact one of these days.
Enjoy your cruise, the music, the radio and all the beautiful places your going to visit.
I enjoyed a cruise accross the Mediterranean sea during our Honey Moon trip and it was a very enjoyable trip.

Guru

3 Likes

Good being a rather relative term in this case. It’s a pretty poor implementation of a small transmitting loop but a lot better than the WonderWand that Tom was going to buy (that is complete junk imho). As soon as I heard that my heart sank and I immediately offered him my Alexloop. The price of these loops is just ridiculous; Alex is a nice guy though. I had dinner with him and his wife a few years ago.

Tom has agreed to buy me a new one if it falls overboard so I am hoping for bad weather and high seas.

7 Likes

It was a very generous and considerate gesture Richard, and I’m incredibly grateful. Being able to operate - and be consistently received by stations I’m calling - is great. Having my QRP CQs answered by DX is even better.

Of course, I am well aware that “good” is relative - but in this specific context with all the practical restrictions and limitations - my wkg condx - are actually very good indeed!

3 Likes

I see while typing my reply, CWI edited in an additional sentence at the end. Poor show…

2 Likes

This is no doubt mainly thanks to the Ocean effect and also your /MM at the end of the callsign.

2 Likes