SOTA Net - tonight 13 August 1900z

Dear all

The first international SOTA net will be tried out tonight at 1900z. Echolink node 611072 G3CWI-L will host the net. There are several ways of joining in:

1. directly using a computer with Echolink software (free) installed. Note that your amateur radio licence must be validated by Echolink before you can use the software.

2. using an iPhone or other smartphone (free app). Again note that your amateur radio licence must be validated by Echolink before you can use the software.

3. via an Echolink enabled amateur radio repeater or simplex node. In this case you will need a radio with a DTMF dialer to connect to the net. No validation is required although some repeater groups may require you to register to use Echolink.

As this is a test, the net will be Chaired by me, so after each over, pass the net back to me. That’s a bit formal and we can find the best format as the net develops. I should point out that I have no experience of Chairing nets :slight_smile:

Once the net begins I will go round asking each person to introduce themselves; tell us briefly about their involvment in SOTA and how they are connected into the net (radio/PC/phone).

If you want to listen in but not participate, change your name on Echolink to “listen only” and I will not call you in.

One thing we should discuss is whether there is actually a role for such a net and, if so, how frequently it should take place.

Richard
G3CWI

Echolink 611072 G3CWI-L

In reply to G3CWI:

Richard, I have hitherto stayed well away from Echolink, this is the first use for it that has perked my interest. Can you tell me what is meant by and involved in “validation”?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

You have to scan the first page of the license document you have
printed off from the ofcom site and submit it to them. All the
details are on: www.echolink.org. Not sure how long validation takes
though - the site says < 24 hours.

Rick.

In reply to G8ADD:

Basically Echolink is a system that is only available for the use of licenced radio amateurs. To keep it that way, they require you to e-mail them a copy of your licence document to verify your eligibility to use the system. Once received they will send you a code that will allow you to unlock the software and use the system.

The software (and instructions for use) are all available at www.echolink.org

It is one of several such amateur radio/internet linking systems and is arguably the easiest to use and the most flexible. Like most of these things there is a bit of a learning curve and the concepts take a bit of getting your head round.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to M0RCP:

Rick

You could presumably download the PDF from OFCOM and e-mail that?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I’d imagine that’d also be ok and it’d mean one didn’t have to purchase
a scanner/digital camera. The validation FAQ is at:

http://www.echolink.org/faq_validation.htm

Rick.

In reply to G3CWI:
Do not think i will be able to join you tonight richard but will make it next week the wife has been rushed into hospital please let me know how it goes tonight thanks dave M3XIE

In reply to M0RCP:

My validation request has been accepted. Time taken just over 2 hours.

Rick.

In reply to M0RCP:

"What’s the easiest way to test and adjust my audio on Echolink?

There is a special “echo” conference server, called ECHOTEST, to which you can connect to test your audio. Once connected, the server simply records anything you transmit and plays it back. This is a convenient way to verify that your transmitted audio is clean, and to adjust record and playback sound levels. You can connect by choosing “Connect to Test Server” from the Station menu in the Echolink software. If you are connecting to EchoLink via an RF link, the node number for ECHOTEST is 9999. "

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
i dont have a microphone socket on this laptop, could i still join in by txt ?
Steve m0sgb

In reply to G3CWI:

Tried that Richard, but my audio sounds pretty quite compared to Skype.
Don’t see why i should have to shout.

Rick.

In reply to M0SGB:

Steve

You cant really join in by text because not everyone will access using a computer. You can listen though!

Richard
G3CWI

If 20 people join in and each one talks for just 3 minutes, the net will take an hour. I can’t imagine anyone will want to spend more than an hour so I will try to keep things moving along with the aim of concluding the net in an hour.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
hi richard will try and get onto gb3mi, if i can via vhf radio,
Steven m0sgb

In reply to G3CWI:
Hi Richard, ill “listen in” on this one, via iPhone.

Thanks

Adrian
MM0TAI (Using 2M0ETR for ECHOLINK)

In reply to MM0TAI:

Cats woke me up just now (4:30 am local time) to be fed, am looking at the link where there are 14 connected, though it says I can’t connect to that particular node–must be full!

I think next Saturday night Richard’ll have to lease a T1! :wink:

Looks like a good net underway–have fun!

–oots! it finally let me in! am listening and had a chance to say hi–partakers: G0HRT, M0COP, GB3TP, M1MAJ, G6WRW, G6ODU, MW0IDX, MB7IIP, 2M0ETR, G1FOA, M6NJB currently listed.

Looking foward to catching it earlier next time,

73 de Jason
HL4ZFA

http://www.6k0fm.net

In reply to G3CWI:
I tried to participate in this net, using the HTC smartphone.
At first the battery went low and charging meant a wall outlet too far from the window.
Connection failed a few times, excuse me please. Then when you passed it to me my daughter phoned and echolink was overruled. Then connection dropped again.

Sorry to all of you. Smartphone Echolink is different from CW !
The net I thank can be helpful indeed.
Wish all of you good sota hunting and many thanks to all activations.
73 Wim pa0wdg

In reply to G3CWI:

Thank you for making the net happen Richard. I’ve never used Echolink on the repeater before, but it was so easy!

I hope to join in if there is another net, tonight I was in charge of putting my 5yr old son to bed! I had my VX150 tuned to the GB3TP repeater and my son was asking all sorts of technical questions about how the radio worked! I think he is destined to be a ham!

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to G3CWI:
From what I heard a very good net.
Just to explain I connected as a listener only using my Netbook.
The microphone, which on Skype works well,seems to have very low output on echolink.
Someone, don’t know who possibly Colin 'cgh , connected by my local repeater GB3TP, so managed a quick over before I was called away for evening meal.
Would prefer a conference that you could leave and join at will never been one for nets :slight_smile:
Still to try my Samsung Galaxy Ace which seems OK on the Echolink test site, but has a noticeably increased battery drain when connected :frowning:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Yes Roger, guilty as charged!

Colin
M0CGH