SOTA Net - tonight 13 August 1900z

In reply to G3CWI:
hi again richard, 1st off well done on hosting the 1st net.
I experienced a few issues, when there were long gaps i was “timed out” and had to reconect a few times, not a big deal.
Some interesting comments though and I like the idea of having a theme under the SOTA ‘Banner’, ie technical topics, associations etc etc.

As for how often to hold the net, perhaps fortnightly or monthly but of course this could change as demand dictates.

Thanks
Adrian

The net seemed to be quite successful. Twenty four participated:

MW0IDX, M1MAJ, G6ODU, G0HRT, M1EYP/p, M3EYP/p, 2M0ETR, SV1COX, G4OWG, G1YDQ, M0CGH, PA0WDG, G0AZS/m, IK/OE7PHI, G1FOA, M0COP, M0RCP, KU4RR, 2E0TVP, G4OWG, G6WRW, CT1DRB, HL4ZFA and M6NJB.

Three continents and nine countries were represented. There was a mix of people connecting by PC, smartphone and RF (some hopping in via several nodes).

Technically the net went very well with just one upset when everyone got disconnected. That was my fault as I had forgotten that I had a timeout timer set to protect my base station from continuous transmission.

The general concensus was that a net was an interesting development and that Echolink was a suitable medium for it. Several people felt it would be a good forum for discussion of technical/practical aspects of SOTA. It was also suggested that it could help in the formation of new associations - being a bit more interactive than e-mails and less prone to misunderstandings. It was suggested that the net might be weekly. Finally Jason HL4ZFA suggested that the net might be recorded - a fair point especially as it ran from 0400-0500 his time!

I think it is possible to run a news server on Echolink which might have some applications for SOTA. We could also try a less formal format for next time although that may be trickier for RF connected stations who can’t see what is happening in, what proved to be, a fairly dynamic series of logon/logoffs.

Lack of participants from North America was a disappointment (the only person on the net from there did not seem to have any knowledge of SOTA). Was that just a one-off thing or is there some problem with this format for the USA/Canada?

I will let people know when the next net will be.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Lack of participants from North America was a disappointment

Judging by Sotawatch they were all out activating or chasing.

I fired up my work laptop which has Echolink installed, I used it a lot when I was last away in the US on business. But I’d forgotten I used to use an Echolink proxy and that proxy wasn’t running. I didn’t have time to fight with the bloatware my IT dept. have installed so I couldn’t connect due to assorted firewall problems. I’ll be more prepared next time.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

Lack of participants from North America was a disappointment (the only person on
the net from there did not seem to have any knowledge of SOTA).

I have very little experience of “operating” via Echolink, but it seems to me that SOTA cannot expect to have the exclusive use of RF access points (e.g. repeaters) for the entire duration of a lengthy net. Perhaps the one non-SOTA participant was simply wanting to make a normal, one-to-one QSO through his local repeater?

Am I misunderstanding the system, or is it the case that as soon as one participant accesses the SOTA net via his local repeater, which could be anywhere in the world, then that repeater becomes monopolised by SOTA for as long as the net continues? If this is so, I feel it will show SOTA in a very bad light from the point of view of other repeater users.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Hi Walt

It’s amazing what can be achieved by asking people for permission politely beforehand. Using repeaters is just one way of a number of ways of accessing Echolink. My experience - also limited, is that most system operators are more than happy that someone proposes an application for their underused hardware. There are certainly some repeaters where connection to a net would not be a good idea (GB3MI being one) but for others that is not the case. Interestingly the default connection for many Echolink-connected repeaters is the IRELAND conference - the Echolink equivalent of a net that runs 24 hours a day.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to thread:

I downloaded Echolink and then found myself mired in details, I could see how to reset the firewall but the instructions for the modem have vanished - in the end I went back to the QRP Z-match and finished that instead of joining in. Perhaps next time!

Brian G8ADD

PS Walt - what repeater users? I live in a city with a million inhabitants and most of the time the repeaters are dead - still a good point, tho’.

In reply to G8ADD:

PS Walt - what repeater users? I live in a city with a million
inhabitants and most of the time the repeaters are dead

So they have outlived their usefulness, then.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Walt

For the avoidance of doubt, here is the e-mail I received this morning from the operator of the RF link that was used by Tom and Jimmy. This was in response to my e-mail thanking him for use of the facility - sent after the net.

"Great to be of help. I did listen in for a time but with 4 children it’s
always difficult to play radio until past 10pm when they go to bed. I hope
it went well and if you let me know if you are to re-schedule another as I
will connect in and listen…

…Glad to be of some help. Do pop in for a chat and I will leave the *58 as a
short cut for the locals to use."

I think you will agree that the tone is wholly positive!

As radio amateurs we share resources every time we transmit.

It’s not what you do, it’s the way that you do it…

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Thanks for organising the net last night Richard. The short part I managed to hear and work whilst I was in the car was very interesting.

As for the comments about repeaters etc, I can see that using an internet linked repeater for such a net MIGHT be considered a little antisocial if it is normally busy with local RF stations. In such circumstances using a simplex internet gateway (MB7Ixx station in the UK) would be preferable for connecting to nets via RF. I used MB7IAV when I was mobile last night and we are lucky enough to have another (MB7IDM) relatively close as well.

However, I have to say that the Tring repeater (GB3TU) near me is dead a lot of the time but when the IRLP internet link is actually working, it seems to promote even more local activity. This is no doubt because there are interesting things to listen to and work. I much prefer the “too busy” to the “dead” band but that is very rare on VHF/UHF these days around here and anything that fills the airwaves is to be commended.

Thanks again… 73 Marc G0AZS

Proof of concept? Concept proved - good thinking Richard.

I totally agreed with Martyn M1MAJ’s point that it would be most useful to have this sort of thing as well-known fixture that took place every week. Some weeks may be less busy than others, but if we knew it was always there for that purpose at the time, then over time it would become successful.

There were many excellent suggestions as to the worth and possible future use of a net hosted in this manner. I liked all of them. There was clearly a lot of interest. a lot of enthusiasm and plenty enough good ideas to prove to me that, if held regularly, this SOTA net will evolve over time and settle into something that is functional, useful and interesting.

For the time being, the net will need a net controller. There may be other ways in the future, but for now this is the only way I can see for the thing to run. Knowing that nets and net controlling are not your natural habitat Richard, no doubt you would be pleased if volunteers nominated themselves for a stint. Or perhaps this could even be sorted at the start of the net between the participants present? Anyway, FWIW, I would be happy to help when available.

Like many other amateurs I suspect, I never really “got” Echolink and what it offered to the keen self-respecting radio amateur. However, using a “friendly” node in Ipswich while I was camping in Essex, to take part in the net, and to chat to friends back in Macclesfield at other times, made me realise that this branch of amateur radio is a useful and interesting innovation.

I also find some quirky satisfaction in that we have a genuinely viable international net, enabled by a form of the hobby that is not recognised by our awards programme! Watch out for a question in a future Christmas Quiz: “Can you participate in SOTA using Echolink?”. :wink:

Tom M1EYP

Tom correctly suggests that my interest was technical rather than any personal desire to run a net. I’m far too young for that!

On reflection I have decided that I don’t intend organising or running any more SOTA nets myself; however I can see significant potential for someone with some imagination. Ideas might include:

Questions to an expert panel - with a chairperson
A monthly reading of the news highlights
Propagation updates
Perspectives on SOTA from abroad
etc etc.

Step forward the new Robert Robinson…

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Step forward the new Robert Robinson…

Is a comb-over a requirement?

Andy