SOTA LD Weekend - Spring 2023 (Part 1)

I’ve reserved a room… now I just need to sell a kidney to pay for it. Again a single person stay for one night in Windermere is more than 2 single occupancy rooms with breakfast for one night in Switzerland including taxes and exchange rates :cry:

I’m still not sure I can come yet but it’s better to reserve a room that’s full refundable now than find I can come but can’t find anywhere to stay!

EDIT: I have just got the confirmation email with the available extras: Breakfast £10, early check-in £20, late check-out £20, parking £6/day, dog charge £10/dog/night

I wonder if the toilet paper is metered? By the sheet or by the metre ?

2 Likes

By the ell! :wink:

By comparison, I have just paid for my room at Westwood Park Hotel, Welshpool, a handy stop over for Mid-Wales activations and a bargain at £35 per night. It’s not very convenient for Windermere though.

1 Like

You guys are too nice. There are plenty of bunkhouses and hostels and some superb campsites.

3 Likes

Oops, will be away but hope to chase.

Brian, I didn’t spend the last 40 years working so I can sleep in a tent. I worked to pay for nice things like a room with an en-suite shower and loo, a bed with pillows and a full cooked breakfast that someone else has prepared.

It seems that a night in the Hôtel de Paris Monte-Carlo is going to be cheaper than a night in Windermere!

1 Like

A few years ago we would head to the Lake District for a family day out but we tend to keep away now, which is sad. It seems as though since Covid was invented, Brits have discovered that they don’t need to get on a jet to experience wonderful places, plus they’ve discovered outdoor exercise.

I want my quiet British countryside back!

My wife agreed that I could my trip to Cosford air show for a trip to the Lake District instead, so I will now be able to make it for the LD weekend. My nephew is taking my place at the air show. I’m not sure what to do about Saturday night, I could borrow the motorhome but it’s stored in Carlisle, so it’s a heck of a lot of effort and diesel for one night. I’m happy to camp in a tent, but I haven’t located a camp site yet. Maybe I could wild camp on a hill.

73, Colin

3 Likes

Note that the Kirkstone Pass is closed for this event so make plans accordingly.

Kirkstone Pass to undergo scheduled full road closure starting in March (cumbria.gov.uk)

73 Chris M0RSF

Different strokes, I suppose. I have stayed at hotels and guest houses occasionally, but for the ultimate pleasure and sense of belonging give me nights in a tent with the stars to gaze at before bedding down, and the dawn chorus to wake me up, followed by an English breakfast cooked exactly as I like it rather than how some chef thinks it ought to be, and after zipping the door I can head straight up the hill. Same for the evening meal, I can do a curry, bolognese, steak or chilli exactly how (and when) I like it with the extra pleasure of having created it myself. Usually no tinned stuff and never dehydrated cardboard for me, I can really cook, so the only requirement is a real ale pub within staggering distance! Oh, and if it rains, I have six decades of experience in dealing with it, it becomes part of the pleasure. I have camped at places where even a simple B&B would be well over an hours drive away, amidst scenery that blows the mind. If you prefer being tied down to a hotel or B&B that is of course your choice, but to my mind it is very limiting because it reduces yoiur freedom and ties you down to availability, their timetables, and long drives.

3 Likes

With just over a week to go, is there a final tally for this meet-up? Has another thread been started, which I’ve missed?

I’ve got my B&B booked for the weekend, walking distance from the Brookside Inn. I’ve not picked which summit I’m going to go for, but is there anything being organised? It’ll be interesting if we all pick the same summit!

Is a table/area being booked at the Brookside Inn, or is it a case of turn up and take over a corner?

Hoping this weather holds!

Dave.
G7SAT

1 Like

Dave, check the alerts.

Almost certainly not - some will post their alerts in the last few days before the G/LD weekend. As with previous years, I’ll wait until visiting activators have picked their choice of summits - which folk living locally like me can activate any time. I’m happy to do any suitable G/LD summit I’ve not activated so far this year.

I’ll be taking 2m, 70cm and 23cm FM for local/regional QSOs and 60-10m CW for those further afield.

Andy

1 Like

If people can now pm me if they intend to be at the Brookside Saturday evening I’ll let them know we’ll be descending.

Best indicator of who intends to be here is SOTA alerts.

Wall to wall sunshine here at the moment, but will it last? :thinking:

Mark

2 Likes

I plan to be at Brookside on Sat pm. Now staying in Langdale due to Kirkstone pass closure.

David
G0EVV/P

1 Like

I’m thinking of activating Red Screes (G/LD-017) and Stony Cove Pike (G/LD-018) for the LD SOTA weekend. I know the kirkstone pass is closed that weekend, but the council site says the kirkstone inn and car park are accessible from Windermere; link.

I’m hoping that the car park at the inn will be relatively quiet, without the normal passing traffic. Is anyone living nearby who can comment on the previous closures to the kirkstone pass? I’m planning to get to the car park around 9am, and do Red Screes in the morning, and Stony Cove Pike in the afternoon. I was hoping to lunch at the inn, but their website states its closed :frowning:

Any thoughts or advice welcome!

Dave
G7SAT

1 Like

I’ve activated Red Screes and Stony Cove Pike in recent weeks and - driving from Windermere town and parking at Kirkstone Pass Inn C.P. - saw signs reading that the road will be closed (north of the Inn) from the 5th. June.

There were (are?) roadworks controlled by temporary traffic lights both north and south of the inn. You would be unlucky to find the car park full especially if you arrive by 9am.

The Inn is definitely closed - there are workmen all over it and it’s having major work done on it.

BTW: The routes up Red Screes and Stony Cove Pike from the Inn are arguably some of the nicest walks in the Lakes. I make a point of doing them every year.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, I’ve put up my alerts and now just hoping the weather gods are benevolent!

1 Like

I’ll second what @G8CPZ has said, whenever I’ve been up there during the previous closure the car park has been very empty. If you are coming from this direction I’d say it is an excellent choice.

Mark.

3 Likes

I’ve popped into the Brookside this evening and let them know we are descending a week Saturday.
They’d like pre-orders please given the size of the group, if you can PM me what you would like it will make their lives much easier.

Here’s the menu. I’ll need to let them know midweek next week, so if you can let me know before Wednesday evening. Cheers.

1 Like

I’ve got a last minute visitor arriving on Saturday afternoon so I’ll only be out Sunday. So that means I’ll be around Wasdale rather than the central lakes.

Don’t these people know its the LD weekend? :rofl:

2 Likes