SOTA LD Weekend - Spring 2023 (Part 1)

Pictures from Saturday.

The picture everyone takes on Nine Standards Rigg… the standards!

Antennas, 2m 300ohm ribbon J-pole and 13cms double double quad on 5m pole bending in the wind.

Smiling for Brian whilst not loosing my hat.

4 VHF bands worth of equipment.

Alinco DJ-G7 handy, Yaesu VX-170 handy, WA5JVB 23cms Yagi, Yaesu FT 817, SG Lab 13cms transverter, Hobbyking 4Ahr 4S2P LifePo, Eremit 4A LiFePo (transverter and handy backup power), GPS, camera, phone. 2006 75p Tesco gardening kneeling mat- still going strong!

ODX QSOs per band

2m Simon GW4TJC GW/NW-050 213km
70cm Paul G4IPB G/LD-053 45km
23cms Stuart G1ZAR G/SP-004 133km
13cms Jack GM4COX IO85GH 122km

Thanks to everyone taking part and chasing. Thanks to Mark for organising. Thanks to everyone for a good chat in the pub afterwards. Thanks to Woody for not barking!

9 Likes

Thanks to all for a good weekend, plenty of S2S worked and to those I met in the Brookside in the evening. I missed Neil @G0WPO in the Pub, who I shared Red Scree G/LD-017 with for about an hour. I hope you made it down safely?!

I’d worked somewhere in North Wales on 70cm, but I didn’t recall it was a summit-to-summit until I’ve just uploaded my log. I’ve discovered that from my summit of Red Scree (G/LD-017) I worked @MW0PJE, who was working Moel Llyfnant (GW/NW-018), a distance of 183.07km / 113.75 miles :smiley:

Thanks to Mark @M0NOM for doing the organising, looking forward to the next one :smiley:

Dave

4 Likes

Thanks Mark for another superb G/LD weekend.

The Brookside is a great venue and you do a good job securing us a room. The reports of the food were so good that I’ll give it a try next time.

The weather was actually a little to hot and sunny for me!!

The Lake District summits are amazing. I forget how beautiful they are.

Most importantly, the people. This is was makes the G/LD weekend for me. Both those who attend the get together in the pub and those who I speak to from a summit.

SOTA is a great community and this was a fine celebration of all that is great about SOTA.

73, Kevin

5 Likes

I should have mentioned in my previous comments that the absolute highlight of my weekend was a CW summit to summit with Colin @M1BUU. Colin is an absolutely gent and did everything to make my first CW S2S a success.

Thanks Colin.

K

8 Likes

Wow! What a weekend! I’m tired and baked but happy! :slight_smile:

To kick off the weekend I saw Kenton Cool at Lancaster, he was giving a presentation about the history of Everest expeditions.

The talk was very entertaining and informative, I’d definitely recommend it.

I managed a few hours in bed at home before my alarm went off ridiculously early on the Saturday morning. My first target was St Sunday Crag G/LD-010. I’d already done my daily step target before 9am, and I hadn’t even reached my first summit!

I did 20m CW with my trusty home built MTR-5B. I hadn’t done much Morse for a while and the pile up was a little unruly, which was a baptism of fire. Nevertheless, I’d got more than enough contacts in my log, so it was time to move on to the next summit.

Operating on St Sunday Crag, looking towards Helvellyn G/LD-003.

Fairfield always looks way harder to me than it actually is, before long I was on the summit of G/LD-007.

I did 15m on Fairfield and had a reasonable log but it was clear than the higher bands weren’t producing anything spectacular. I did manage to qualify quite quickly and the lure of a nice cold drink in Ambleside was strong, so I planned to get my last summit over and done with ahead of schedule.

I felt hungry by the time I’d reached the tarn, so I stopped and ate my sandwiches before tackling Seat Sandal G/LD-022.

Kevin MW0KXN had reached out to me a couple of days before asking if I minded if he activated Seat Sandal too, I replied saying that I didn’t mind at all, I was just after the qualification.

I reached the summit and instantly saw Kevin and his wife, it turned out that we had arrived at pretty much the same time.

Kevin started activating on 2m, so I set up my MTR-5B for 15m. 15m wasn’t lively at all, so I switched to 17m. 17m wasn’t much better, so I went down to 20m. I’m not sure if the chasers were all having lunch, but QSOs weren’t exactly there by the bucket full. Again, my log book had more than enough QSOs in it, so I packed up with the idea of making it to Ambleside before the cafés shut. I said goodbye to Kevin and that I hoped to see him later at the pub.

Kevin’s sun shelter and flowerpot antenna in the distance on G/LD-022

The walk back to the car in Grasmere was a hot trudge, and the water I’d stashed in the car for a ‘lay by shower’ was nearly as warm as that from my shower at home! It was nice to get the sticky sun cream off and feel a bit fresher. I made it to the cafe in Ambleside and had an iced coffee with a side of caramel shortbread. :yum:

I did took part in sone retail therapy in Ambleside before heading to the pub in Windermere. The traffic was a little bit heavy due to the Great Northern Swim event taking part in the lake, but it wasn’t too bad. The swim event seemed to well organised with plenty of signage asking people not to park on the road, which seems to have been heeded.

I really enjoyed my time at the pub and stayed far too late! I’d said my goodbyes once and then another conversation started! The food was good and I’d like to publicly thank Mark M0NOM for liasing with the venue and sorting stuff out behind the scenes.

I had thought about doing Blencathra today but I’d stayed at the pub too long for that. I wasn’t drinking but I had an hour’s drive to get back home. (I’d figured it was much cheaper for less than a tenner’s worth of Diesel than to stay overnight in the Lakes).

Looking at SOTLAS, I decided that Lambrigg Fell G/LD-046 would be a good target for today. The drive is 35 minutes from home and would be a unique summit for me. I parked my car at the quarry and crossed the main road, walking through the wind farm. I read G3CWIs notes about Lambrigg Fell and he details being bitten by an insect - within a few minutes I was being investigated as lunch! Thankfully I managed to swat all of the clegs before any of them managed to get their teeth into me!

I’d taken along my FT817, as I’d planned to use that on Blencathra on 12m. I’d also taken a home brew rig that I’d built a few weeks ago and not yet tested on air.

I started with the home brew rig and was quite surprised when I actually started working people with it! The rig puts out about 2 watts on 20m from a single BS170 FET. The direct conversion receiver is separate and based on the Sudden by G3RJV. The receiver is the ubiquitous SA612/LM386 circuit. I added an op amp filter to try to peak the audio a little.

I was pleased to hear Kevin M(W)0KXN/P calling me at one stage, so I attempted to slow the keyer speed down. I got a bit lost in the menu - I’d re-purposed a Ham Gadgets RockMite keyer - and I’m not used to it. I did eventually get the speed down to 14wpm but Kevin didn’t respond to my calls. I worked a few chasers at 14 wpm hoping that Kevin would call again, and he did! The summit to summit with Kevin on G/LD-037 was the QSO of the weekend for me. Apparently Kevin had been inspired to take up Morse after learning about my rigs and activations. A really confident and pleasing contact, especially with a home brew rig!

A great way to end an awesome weekend, already looking forward to the next one.

Colin.

13 Likes

Here Here,
Mark, thank you for organising the W/E and dinner. I just need to fill my logs in, that is going to take some time. Having a WA2 in the log was a bonus.10 LD s2s in the log as well, another thank you, but only one new complete, still missing 15. 9 Standards was also a complete, thanks Andy.

Thanks all.

David
G0EVV/P

5 Likes

Seeing you sat there on the grass in that photo Andy I think you missed a trick. When I last activated 9SR in too-warm weather I used one of the larger standards as shade from the fierce sunlight for the KX2 and me. But even better it has an ‘operating shelf’ [obviously designed for SOTA activators] running round it at waist height on which I set up my radio kit, log book, etc.

Nice large flat AZ, loads of space for 80m dipole, etc and great views / VHF take-off. Must activate it again soon.

2 Likes

Too many people Andy. I stopped counting people walking past (many Coast to Coasting) when I got to 70. The standards were buzzing with people so I went to the trig. I have a sun shield I now deploy when I found how hot a black 817 gets in the sun. It’s made from similar material to survival blanket, metalised Mylar. It’s embossing foil, very shiny gold coloured Aluminium in my case. A big sheet weighs nothing. Mrs. FMF worked for people who made it and she got me some rolls that were faulty. I’ve got a roll of 100m x 0.75m and 100m x 0.4m That’s enough for many home made survival blankets and rig sun shields. You can see it, the gold shiny thing in the picture of equipment covering the 817. It’s looks like something NASA would put on a satellite. Really works at keeping the 817 cool. I’ll make up a KX2 sized one ready for my trip to FN.

3 Likes

Oh yes, I’m forgetting it was a Saturday plus tourist weather. The SOTA LD event is the rare exception where I will operate at the weekend. As a retiree I’m lucky to do SOTA on weekdays avoiding the worse of the crowds.

I activated Gummers How G/LD-050 on Saturday for about 2 hours. As you know there’s no shelter from the midday summer sun there either. So I, my dog and my rig were grateful for the tarp pitched on the edge of some low rocks.

My 40/30/20 EFHW sloper (in the background of photo) did the biz even on 60m with 10W of SSB.

And the view from under the tarp …

6 Likes

Great weekend with 71 Chaser/S2S points logged. Nice to hear a few Yaesu VX7R been used too, which we were using . I had forgotten how good this handheld really is.

Many thanks to Mark M0NOM for organising the event and thanks to everyone for the S2S QSO’s.

73 Chris M0RSF & Natalie M7NTD

9 Likes

A real struggle

A delayed departure from my home QTH on Saturday meant a late start for my walk up G/LD-003 Helvellyn. I found the conditions to be very tough; the heat got to me. To top it off, could not get a 4G signal to spot on HF, so VHF only.

I was shattered by the time I got back to the car before meeting up with the activators at the Brookside Inn. Thanks Mark for organising the meet-up.

On Sunday, I waited for the rain to clear before starting my circular walk from Patterdale toward the first of three that day G/LD-010 (St Sunday Crag). The previous day’s efforts were still felt; I decided to lighten my pack weight by taking only VHF/UHF. The pace I was going, it would have been a struggle to activate both on HF as well as VHF in daylight anyway.

I plodded on and managed to also activate G/LD-007 (Fairfield). The breeze on Fairfield was welcome and cooled me down a bit even adding the odd 007 reference during QSOs.

I traversed G/LD-022 (Seat Sandal) before my ascent ‘from the side.
Colin (M1BUU), who did those 3 as well the previous day (see a few posts above), made it seem so easy in his report.

It was great to speak to so many on air again with whom I’d spoken last year whilst activating the LD summits.

The walk back to the car was downhill mostly, but approximately 8km.
Most people would have outpaced me had they walked backwards.

A long drive home beckoned with a deserved stop-off at McDonalds for a Big Mac, Large Fries & Latte.

73, Robert
M0RWX

11 Likes

I had a look for you (I was doing a local WWFF), but couldn’t hear you unfortunately despite having a fairly low noise level. Conditions evidently not as good as when we worked in the Trans-Atlantic events. :hushed:

Dave spoke about it during a S2S recently and said it worked well.
Next would be for a small BT module to replace the mechanical switch, so it can be operated from your smart phone. No need to get up to flip the switches… :+1:

3 Likes

The problem is at my age, if i don’t get up now and again to flip the switches, i will seize up. Some of my recent S2S sessions have gone on for a while!

Cheers Rob

6 Likes

Paul @W6PNG (locally as M0SNA) and I tackled G/LD-028 Harter Fell & G/LD-034 Hard Knott from a parking place at the top of Hard Knott. The choice of summits I would normally suggest was limited due to the closure of the Kirkstone Pass, and because I am terribly unfit at the moment!

Last time I tackled Harter Fell (Eskdale) it was wintery conditions and the views limited. This time round apart from haze which prevented seeing either The Isle of Man or Blackpool Tower the views were good. The wind was variable and the insect population were waiting for a lull to come enjoy the feast. To be fair it was mostly small flying beetles which weren’t much of a problem, but the little biters that chew on your head were out too.

We started on 2m FM on both summits and shared Paul’s small rucksack based roll up ladder line antenna to good effect. Once 2m dried up we moved to my IC-705 with the Chameleon MPAS2.and external battery giving 10w. Paul was very impressed with the flexibility of the MPAS2 which proved itself with contacts between 6m and 60m, and gave him his first 6m and 60m contact!

TIME CALLSIGN BAND MODE RST RSR OPERATOR SIG REF
09:14 G6LKB 2m FM 59 59 David
09:16 G8CPZ/P 2m FM 59 59 A SOTA G/LD-050
09:19 GW4ZPL 2m FM 59 57 John
09:20 2E0IKN/P 2m FM 59 59 Clive
09:22 2E0MIX 2m FM 59 59 Derek
09:24 G6AEK 2m FM 59 59 David
09:26 M0JKS/P 2m FM 59 59 Dave SOTA G/LD-012
09:28 MW0CCG 2m FM 59 57 Nick
09:31 M0RSF/P 2m FM 59 59 Chris SOTA G/NP-015
09:31 M7NTD/P 2m FM 59 59 Natalie
09:31 G1OHH 2m FM 59 59 Sue
09:33 G0WPO/P 2m FM 59 59 Neil SOTA G/LD-013
09:34 G0LWU 2m FM 59 59 Andrew
09:36 G6PJZ/P 2m FM 59 59 Andy SOTA G/LD-050
09:36 G7SAT/P 2m FM 59 59 Dave SOTA G/LD-017
09:48 EA1DHB 20m SSB 59 59 Ricardo
09:48 SM5LNE 20m SSB 59 57 Jan
09:50 HB9JAY/P 20m SSB 55 55 Walter SOTA HB/SZ-038
09:55 F/HB9CYV/P 20m SSB 59 55 CHRISTIAN SOTA FL/VL-039
09:58 2E0BIA/P 20m SSB 59 53 Martin SOTA G/LD-018
10:01 G0EVV/P 60m SSB 59 59 David SOTA G/LD-019
10:03 G8CPZ/P 60m CW 599 569 A

We dropped back down to the car for fluid refills and a quick bite to eat. The path up to Hard Knott was easy to find and although we deviated slighty it was obvious. However, after rain this would have been a very wet experience in places, especially when making navigation mistakes.

Hard Knott is fairly sheltered although today I didn’t worry about qualifying on 2m. As others found HF was just ok-ish. Plenty of bands open however, and getting 3 SOTA contacts on 10m was an unexpected surprise, as was our 6m S2S with @MW0PJE Pete on GW/NW-018. Very nice!

Pub was welcome and The Brookside did us all well and I think Sean the manager appreciated the use of callsigns rather than endless Daves and Andys :grinning:

There was a question about whether we should try for the next LD weekend during winter bonus, I’d welcome people’s thoughts on this?

Thanks to everyone who took part whether activators or chasers, in LD land or outside - and indeed considerate partners whether present or giving day passes! It’s a great community. Paul was very good company and having started with a part-American company just under a year ago I know a lot more about the USA!

Regards, Mark.

TIME CALLSIGN BAND MODE RST RSR OPERATOR SIG REF
12:01 G6LKB 2m FM 59 59 David
12:02 M7IHH 2m FM 59 55 Peter
12:05 2E0BIA/P 2m FM 59 59 Martin SOTA G/LD-018
12:06 G6AEK 2m FM 59 55 David
12:07 M0JKS/P 2m FM 59 59 Dave SOTA G/LD-012
12:09 M0KXN/P 2m FM 59 59 Kevin SOTA G/LD-022
12:19 SP3ATB/P 2m FM 59 59 Max SP-2507
12:27 S52KJ 10m SSB 59 55 Jakob
12:29 M0MZB 10m SSB 59 44 Matthew
12:30 HB9CGA 10m SSB 57 52 ULRICH
12:36 SP6KEP 15m SSB 58 55 Radio
12:36 OK2PDT 15m SSB 59 59 JAN
12:37 9A1AA 15m SSB 59 59 IVO
12:42 OH3GZ 20m SSB 59 59 JUKKA
12:43 EA1DHB 20m SSB 59 54 Ricardo
12:44 EA2DT 20m SSB 53 44 Manuel
12:45 OM6AN 20m SSB 54 55 Daniel
12:45 SM5LNE 20m SSB 59 57 Jan
12:48 MW0PJE/P 6m SSB 59 59 Pete SOTA GW/NW-018

9 Likes

Natalie and I were on holiday in Barbon near Kirkby Longsdale for a week so activated a local G/NP summit for this event. Thanks to all for the QSO’s & S2S.

6 Likes

I would be up for that but not perhaps in the very depths of winter as I don’t have the kit anymore for walking on ice etc.

A weekend at the beginning of March would have the longest daylight and hopefully slightly warmer than at other times during the winter bonus period.

4 Likes

On the Sunday I activate Pike O Blisco. It was sweaty hot. As I descended passing the tarn at about 1200, two lads approached me. Both were wearing “weight lifters t shirts”.

I was asked “Have you any spare sun cream mate”.
I said I had done the slip slap slop in the valley and was well covered up, so no.
Ohhh was the reply.
Second Q, “Have you any water, mate? “.
I asked where they were going? Crinckles, Bowfell and the band”.
After I corrected their assumption that there were streams on their route I gave them 2L of water.
I hope they survived!
David
G0EVV

1 Like

And so was Darwin’s theory thwarted!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 100 replies. Continue discussion at SOTA LD Weekend - Spring 2023 (Part 2).