SOTA LD Weekend, 7th/8th October 2023

Hope to be there. Can’t pass on the chance of a few more S2Ss…

Martin

2 Likes

I’ll be in WB that weekend, Long Mynd and Stiperstones beckon so with luck I can add some S2S opportunities.

3 Likes

Can’t get to LD land, but hope to get some S2S action from NW044 Moel Famau Sat or Sunday.

1 Like

Remember it is the Longmynd Hike that weekend

https://longmyndhike.org.uk/events/2023

It won’t prevent an activation as no roads or paths are closed for the event, but carparks and hills will be busy at times…

1 Like

I’ve never heard of it, Adrian, many thanks for the warning! I guess that I might try View Edge that day!

1 Like

The hike starts in Church Stretton at 13:00 local time on Saturday, so Sat morning should be OK, though there will be traffic arriving in Stretton.

Many of the fittest entrants will have finished by first light on Sunday, and the rest of the field will have thinned out by then. It all closes at 13:00 on Sunday.

Longmynd and Stiperstones feature on the way out and again on the way back, but Stiperstones is likely to be quiet by the Sunday.

View Edge is well clear of the action though, and should be a safe option!

I’d like to join a LD weekend, but I’ve been helping with the LMH on and off for 50 years, and again this year :grin:

2 Likes

See you there Adrian. I’m in the closing officer’s car this year. My feet might not be frozen by the end like last year!

3 Likes

Can people who are planning on coming on Saturday to the Brookside PM me please do I can get an idea of numbers. Deadline is Wednesday PM thanks.

1 Like

Our 6th annual S2S 10-point Madness event coincides with this! between 20 and 30 stations simultaneously on a 10 point summit on Oct 7th starting at about 1400 UTC.

1 Like

OK, I’m now paying attention to the weather as Saturday is on the MWIS listing now. Please plan accordingly.

Viewing Forecast For

Lake District
Saturday 7th October 2023
Last updated Wed 4th Oct 23 at 4:51PM

How windy? (On the summits)

Westerly 30 to 50mph.

Effect of the wind on you?

Arduous mountain conditions. Stability and balance may be affected. Significant wind chill.

How Wet?

Drizzly rain

Light drizzly rain at times. Overall amounts small.

Cloud on the hills?

Probably clear

Many summits cloud free but cloud capping the tops during and after periods of rain. Some patches may form on mid-slopes.

Chance of cloud free summits?

70%

Sunshine and air clarity?

Patchy sunshine through high cloud. Very hazy up to around 600m but excellent visibility above

How Cold? (at 750m)

14C. Chance it may be significantly warmer on highest ground. Feeling between 0 and 5C in the wind.

Freezing Level

Above the summits

1 Like

MWIS is always pessimistic regarding wind speed.

Reading between the lines of various sources, it looks like it will be very mild, and damp at times.

2 Likes

I check the weather daily for my area (south Cumbria) and the forecast for the weekend has been changing back and forth between dry, sunny and warm and rain all day. I’ll probably wait until Saturday morning and look out the window!

2 Likes

Just a quick post to wish all the activators and chasers all the best. I would have loved to make it up to the lakes this weekend, but work just isn’t going to let me get there in any sensible fashion.

Until the next one!
Have fun everyone.

Dave G7SAT

4 Likes

The world famous* LD (Little Dog) has been dead and buried for over a year now, so won’t be participating. But great of you to organise this memorial event for her!

Boss will you do something about this hookgrass?

7 Likes

I shall be without a car most of tomorrow (Saturday) so I’ll walk from home to my nearest SOTA summit, Arnside Knott G/LD-058, the smallest Marilyn hill in England, for a mid-to-late morning activation.

I hope the car will be back early evening so I can attend the get-together in Windermere.

EDIT UPDATE: postponing to 1200utc to avoid morning rain and go to higher summit, Gummers How G/LD-050

Forecast looks challenging

I prefer ‘exciting’

1 Like

(C) Met Office 2023

Yes, the MO forecast for the central Lakes is rain on and off, but drier after early morning rain on southern summits where I’m going. In any case, I’m taking a tarp and groundsheet.

1 Like

Being optimistic, I’d go with Ben’s assessment - it will be mild and damp. You might get unlucky and get a soaking, but equally your top half might stay dry.

I’ve got a main possibility, and a contingency, decision to be deferred until tomorrow morning, possibly at the point the roads diverge!

1 Like

“Two roads diverged …, and I --,
I took the one less traveled by.
And that has made all the difference.”