SOTA Lake District Weekend Date: 17-18 Sept 2022 (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from SOTA Lake District Weekend Date: 17-18 Sept 2022 (Part 1) - #100 by G4OBK.

Previous discussions:

3 Likes

Looking at the long forecast for next weekend, it looks to be promising a dry weekend with sunny spells - perfect SOTA wx if this is the case!

I have alerted ‘The Old Man of Coniston’ G/LD-013 for the Saturday and ‘Grasmoor’ G/LD-009 for the Sunday.

I’m looking forward to coming back up north and hopefully making many S2S contacts with other activators on various summits :grinning: I also look forward to meeting some people in person on the Saturday evening!

73, GW4BML. Ben

7 Likes

i missed that next weekend is LD weekend. If anyone is interested I am looking to do Skiddaw on Tues 13 Sept. on 18 sept I should be on Conic Hill as i head up the West Highland Way, maybe tgat will reach for S2S??

3 Likes

Does anyone have any thoughts or tips about “The Honister Rambler” bus service? I’m camping in Braithwaite and was wondering about catching the bus round to Buttermere and then doing a linear walk back to the campsite via Grasmoor and Grizedale Pike one day rather than paying to park the campervan somewhere. Would that be a silly idea?

Looking forward to next weekend,

Jonathan

1 Like

Jonathan
Thanks for raising this, I am staying on it’s route so hopefully can make use of it later in the week - I have a very long weekend :wink:
Timetable at [https://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetable-pdf?ServiceId=XNBO077.O]
Alan

3 Likes

HI Jonathan

That’s sounds like a very worthwhile idea, a one way walk to get two really nice summits and save on parking and extra fossil fuel use. We’ve used the Honister Rambler ourselves on previous visits around Buttermere. I was in the Lakes District last week. The bus services in Cumbria are far better than what we have here in North Yorkshire. We used the 508 service that runs from Penrith to Windermere and travels through the Kirkstone Pass.

73 Phil G4OBK

3 Likes

Thanks Alan and Phil, I’ll do a proper plan for that. They go past my campsite but the early buses only go clockwise - luckily its only about a 1.5k flat walk from the campsite to pickup the first bus going the right way so thats not a problem. We’re not used to decent rural bus services down here :grinning:

Jonathan

1 Like

Been as there are quite a few GW activators up in the Lake District on the 17/18th I’ve succumbed and booked a B&B in Windermere so I look forward to meeting up with some familiar and not so familiar faces on Saturday night (add me to the ‘list’ Mark @M0NOM :grinning:). Oh yes, I’ll probably do a few summits as well :grinning:

73 Allan GW4VPX

5 Likes

Good news Allan​:+1::beers:

1 Like

I’ll check shortly about food at the Brookside Inn but AFAIK everything is back to normal.

3 Likes

Family commitments are limiting the chance any SOTA activity this weekend, though i might be able to sneak into the shack on Saturday for some HF action. I hope that all those participating have a really great time. :grinning:

73, Gerald

5 Likes

As as I write and with only five days to go I see 22 alerts posted for G/LD summits on Saturday. That’s impressive and no doubt others will post theirs in the coming days.

2 Likes

Assorted events have conspired to stop me taking part this time. A real bummer with so many people taking part.

1 Like

Please add me to your list of diners at the Brookside. What time Mark?

David
G0EVV

Hi David.

It’ll be a case of ordering as you arrive, but I’ll confirm that they are happy with the numbers.

Can everyone PM me if they are coming on Saturday evening and would like to eat?

I’ll confirm they are happy with general numbers.

Food service is until 9pm, I’d suggest not leaving orders any later than 8:30pm. I’ll try and get there for 6:30pm, but obviously the keen folk will still be getting their last S2S at that time :wink:

Here is the current menu:

Nibbles

• Salt N’ Pepper Squid £7
  • Crispy Whitebait £6
  • Tempura King Prawns £7
  • Halloumi Fries GF V £6
  • Thai Sticky Beef, Mango & Chilli Beansprouts £7
  • Olives, Balsamic Onions and Feta Cheese £5
  • Baked Ciabatta, Balsamic and Olive Oil £5

Mains

• Brookside burger, Monterrey jack cheese with baby gem, beef tomato, gherkin in a seeded brioche bun with fries and coleslaw *** £13.95
  • Grilled chicken burger, fries & coleslaw £13.95
  • Steak and Ale pie, hand cut chips, garden peas and gravy £14.95
  • Vegan spiced cauliflower, spinach and lentil pie, hand cut chips, mushy peas and gravy £13.95
  • Battered haddock, hand cut chips, mushy peas, tartare sauce *** GF available £14.95
  • Whitby Scampi, hand cut chips, salad, garden peas, tartare sauce *** £13.95

Salads

• Goats cheese and red onion marmalade crostini on a bed of mixed salad with pesto and balsamic glaze *** V £11.95
  • Thai sticky beef salad with bean sprouts, spring onions and mango dressing GF £12.95
  • Grilled chicken Caesar with baby gem croutons and parmesan shavings £12.95

Sides

• Chunky chips £3.50
  • Fries £3.50
  • Truffle & Parmesan fries £4.50
  • Mixed Salad £3.50

Desserts

• Sticky Toffee Pudding toffee sauce, Vanilla ice cream £5.95
  • Lemon Tart raspberry sorbet, Fruit compote £5.95
  • Treacle Tart with vanilla ice cream (VE) £5.95

GF – gluten free V – vegetarian VE – vegan please inform us of any allergies on ordering

5 Likes

I popped into the Brookside yesterday evening and they have set aside 14 places - so far I have 10 confirmed. For those that can make it for 7pm I think that will help them out.

Regards, Mark.

5 Likes

Looking good from Brant Fell today!

10 Likes

I should be up 2 summits on Tuesday so hopefully will get some S2S with you.

Shane

Lynn and I will be coming along, but not for food. See you later

Looking good from St Sunday’s Crag too.

7 Likes