SOTA Lake District Weekend Date: 17-18 Sept 2022 (Part 1)

[quote=“GW4BML, post:75, topic:29376”]Have you asked @M7BIA Martin for permission on Shinning Tour @G1JPV Tony. I had to give him 2 weeks written notice
[/quote]

It was only two weeks because I know you Ben! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I guess it’s alright as long as Tony provides the same dependable S2S that we have become accustomed to from G/SP-004. You have set the bar pretty high.

2 Likes

Backtracking to plans I had when the 1st of these events took place…

I have always wanted to do Nine Standards Rigg, not sure why but the standards and the name appeal. I know it has a reputation for being a little damp in places but I was looking on Google Earth and it looks like there is new hardcore track that runs nearly to the summit.

If you take the road out of Kirby Stephen then to Winton out to Coldkeld and on to the end of the public road there is a car park. From there a hardcore track to Stowgill Farm. Then a track runs by Great Stowgill and Stowgill Sike and onto the marked track on the 1:25k map. But it then continues to about 150m from the actual summit. So suddenly a summit that had a fearsome reputation looks a doddle and has a nice VHF and up path over to the LD summits.

Are a lot of these tracks new? I can’t believe I missed them the last time I looked at this summit? Anybody know?

1 Like

Afraid I have no recent experience here to help you Andy. (It was so boggy when I went I haven’t yet opted to repeat it). However I seem to remember that the worst of the bogs was immediately surrounding the summit - ie that last 150m! Your saving grace might be that it has been incredibly dry.
Let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Hi Andy

I can send you a good GPX track with no boggy bits if you email me.

Nick

1 Like

Hi Andy - despite my moaning it isn’t that wet! I have usually done it from the B6270 which starts a long way up the hill. (B6270 up the hill park at Jimgling Cove (never had an issue there) easy path to the top of Dukerdale and up the hill to Rollinson Haggs). After that there are several paths across the moor that are not particularly well defined until the summit area is reached. The trig point is a few hundred meters from the standards, both are in the AZ. I don’t know about the new track but access tracks are appearing over several local moors as estates are trying to improve access for shooting. One local estate was fined for building a track across part of the AONB without consent…. Still Nine Standards is a nice hill and good take off to the lakes and with a large AZ it is easy to find space to play radio….73. Paul

1 Like

Andy, IMMSMR, I recall your talking about doing NSR for last year’s LDW event. Did you activate another summit instead?

I activated NSR June of last year - pleasant walk and summit - bags of room for your Topband dipole.

I took this route starting from the B6270 - no bogs (in June anyway) …

(C) Crown Copyright - Ordnance Survey 2022

I activated from the standards which gave me shade from the bright sunlight. One of them has a waist-high ‘shelf’ round it making it an ideal operating desk.

P.S. it has great views from there hence a great VHF take-off.
P.P.S. All my positive talk about NSR makes me want to activate it again soon.

3 Likes

I took the same route as marked by @G8CPZ. It had been raining heavily earlier that day. I don’t recall anything worthy of note that was bog-like.

Yes, NSR was planned for the 1st event but I collected Paul HB9DST from Windermere so we didn’t drive out to NSR but did Gummer’s How. Last time I was on Stony Cove Pike. I had considered doing the Old Man of Coniston but that is another 40mins drive plus a longer walk which meant I’d have had to finish earlier to get back down in time for beer-o’clock :wink:

The bog descriptions are probably typical internet bollo^W hyperbole. Just as when I’ve read of “horrendous exposure” in someone’s description only to find you could drive a bus up the path and nowhere did I feel exposed (and believe me, I don’t like exposure).

I wear my hiking boots even in summer when walking summits in the Pennines. My foot sometimes finds a boggy hole on the moorland that never seems to drain even when all the becks, tarns and peat hags are bone dry.

I’ve rarely got a booty where water came over the top of my boot - a swampy approach to Hard Knott comes to mind. Just to rub salt in the wound, it was also a failed activation

1 Like

So there are new tracks!

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/7071069

1 Like

You’ve inspired me Andy! I’ll take the hound up on Wednesday. I did note that the description in the link above says “most of the way”. I’ll take the usual route from the B6270 and let you know.

Hello namesakes. Looks like Andy @MM0FMF might get plenty of feedback on that route prior to his planned activation in September.
Screenshot 2022-08-01 181034
Though he might get us confused by our names and similar callsigns.

As I said above all this talk of NSR got me wanting to do it again.

And yes, I’ll be taking my hound on Friday.

Regards, Andy G8CPZ

1 Like

Just proves that you don’t have to be Australian to be called Andy/Andrew (but it helps).:wink:

2 Likes

Another Andrew here, who has just booked accommodation for the Lakes weekend.

Hoping to activate Grasmoor on VHF, Saturday and something smaller on Sunday.

Andrew, G0LWU

1 Like

Take your gaiters. The worst bit is around NY822058

1 Like

Just put in holiday request for 17-18th of September. Hopefully everything goes as planned, would love to spend two days on the summits. And I might pick up just enough Morse to do hf as well :smiley:

2 Likes

Martin is merely a “squatter”…

Activator G/SP-004 activations
M1EYP 125
2E0YYY 122
M7BIA 70
G3CWI 59
G1INK 46
M0HGY 27
G7WKX 13
M1EYO 11
5 Likes

We have booked a holiday cottage from 9th and hope to manage a couple of activations in the week before the meet-up, respecting the fact that it’s Liz’s holiday too!

We are both really looking forward to the weekend after the small but very friendly LD meet in March, and the success of Ben’s GW SOTA meet-up in June.

1 Like

Although I won’t be partaking in the LD weekend I will be on holiday with my walking club in Patterdale from Sept 4th - Sept 8th inclusive. I expect to make a few smash and grab handheld 2m activations of a few SOTA and WOTA summits near to the Kirkstone Pass while we are walking in the area.

73 Phil G4OBK

3 Likes