SOTA Dogs on Summits

Looking through some old pictures I found this one taken on the summit of Kinder Scout 30/01/2011 which was more than a year before I did my first activation.
Look who just happened to be there.
I can’t even remember if the pooch was one of our party or not.

8 Likes

OE3OLC memorial activity on OE/NO-106, Nov. 30. 2019. Vinnie (first time on a summit) and Nika amongst other moutaineers.

8 Likes

Our rescue dog Jack, 6yrs old and had at least 2 owners. We’ve had him 9 months.

Jack isn’t interested in playing or fetching or tugging - perhaps he’d never been encouraged as youngster?.

He obviously had never been in the countryside before but he’s learning fast. One of the first things he learned was that if I start unpacking my rucksack on a hill top then it means waiting & no walking. He quickly learned to curl into a ball on top of any spare clothing or tarp I had at hand but was still shivering. So for Xmas we bought him a fleece & waterproof coat. :service_dog:

Here is curled up on G/NP-009, Buckden Pike, on a cold, wet & windy day.

David

17 Likes

He looks older than 6 with that distinguished grey muzzle. (I was grey once, now white :frowning: )

2 Likes

You could well be right - That was, I think what the vet guessed. We don’t mind anyway - we love him poor thing and he really loves affection too!
Dave

3 Likes

Ah, but you’re older than 6 Andy (with all the respect due to a man of your vintage!)
:wink:

1 Like

Ha ha. I can see Simon M0TGT in that photo, and the dog is his - Morgan. To the right of the trig point is Edward 2E0NSR operating on a handheld, while behind Simon, sheltering under a rock, are his kids Jos and Lucy. They weren’t licensed then, but both are now. Plus there’s me - but unusually without family members - Jimmy M0HGY had woken up feeling ill that morning and bailed out.

1 Like

Our Lab cross Skye on Saddle Hill ZL3/CB-725 yesterday. She really enjoyed the walk - lots of new smells to check out!

18 Likes

Today, my SOTA buddy Harry at Mt Taylor VK1/AC-037. Activation on 1296.240 MHZ FM.

73 Andrew VK1AD

14 Likes

Our 13 year old retired racing greyhound Almondine on South Fork Mtn. W7O/WV-030. She only likes summits with fluffy beds brought along so she doesn’t get to tag along for many but this is basically a drive up so she spent a good 15 minutes sniffing about before going back to the car, which has the entire back seat converted into her bed. She still loves car rides!

14 Likes

Some photos of me and Sledge, my best friend and regular summit companion:

Brandon Clark, KL7BSC

15 Likes

Shack sloth… (Our QSL card ).

15 Likes

What happened to Kipper (aka W0OF)?

My latest task with SOTA is to work out a way to get our Newly Acquired Tabby up the hill.

Bridget is the 2 year Springer/Lab as previously mentioned, that we have had from Pup!

Barbara is the 7 year old Tabby that we have re-homed

She is the CAT control in the shack!

Matt G8XYJ

12 Likes

Meg, has been with me on almost every SOTA trip.

13 Likes

Wow! Meg looks rather startled by the camera!

David M6GYU

2 Likes

That or the photographer stole her bone.

2 Likes

Not quite what we expect.

2 Likes

What a thread. A great read throughout!

Sasha (post 42) sadly died in November 2019 aged 10. She will always be sorely missed! 6,000 miles and several SOTA summit camps in the 5 years after she was rescued.

Now Finn - a Deerhound/ Saluki Lurcher born on Mischief Night 04-November-19. Photos of his first SOTA G/NP-006 Great Shunner Fell (aged 8 months) on 24-July-20.

John G4YSS
(GX0OOO/p)

10 Likes

Good exercise keeping up with that dog John!

1 Like