SOTA Dogs on Summits

What a beauty - the right partner for Winter-SOTA.

3 Likes

After reading these posts for the past several weeks, I was determined to take Bridget with me up a summit! She is a Labrador crossed with a Springer Spaniel - You may call her a Springador!!
Mum was a Brown and White Spaniel, Dad was a Blond Labrador, so where the black coat comes from is a mystery!

Anyway, we had a week in LD land, staying in Bowness on Windermere, so Bridget and I took a walk up G/LD-053

Rubbish summit, no views and poor for 2m FM, but having Bridget with me was good fun and I managed 1 QSO meaning that at least I got the unique!

I hope to take her with me more often - she is just over 1 year old, so should be fully grown soon, meaning that she should be able to tackle the bigger summits in due course

73 all Matt G8XYJ

18 Likes

Hi,
Today I was making “pic-nic radio” and I brought my father-in-law’s dog, a bichón maltés called “Pichi”.

He is nine years old but still has fit to make sotas with me.

11 Likes

Molly my Bullmastiff loves going on activations - when it’s cool outside!

Hank
K4HYJ

13 Likes

LZ1ANV Victor with his guide dog Idalgo, on his first SOTA activation.

19 Likes

Some of the dogs that are regularly exercised on G/SP-015 know me now and always come to say hello when they see me up there!

I don’t even like dogs.

3 Likes

Just take it: Smart dogs are curious … and of course - if you are an “old acquaintance”, you are welcome.
Maybe you already belong to the pack and do not even know it yet :grin:

73 Armin

7 Likes

Just a short update - this thread is featured as the last item in this weeks AR Newsline broadcast & podcast.

73 Ed DD5LP.

7 Likes

Nika - standard poodle
Date: 09/Aug/2019 Summit: OE/KT-094 (Golz) Call Used: OE3VBU/8 Points: 8 Bonus: 0

73 Martin

11 Likes

Hello everyone,
These are my SOTA companions:
Thor 11 years (Pastor Aeleman). Retired !!

Isco 3 years (mestizo). Excellent climber !!

They are faithful until the end !!!

13 Likes

Today on I/FV-185 Monte Quarin :wink:

73, Jarek

11 Likes

Here is my 3.5 year old Giant Schnauzer Freya with me on a few SOTA activations she has scared wild life on a few hikes thus far.

14 Likes

Shortwalk and activation with our youg Springer Spaniel - Woody on Great mell Fell G/LD-035. He can only do shortish walks so far. Not sure if being pulled upwards by a dog is an unaided ascent!

View on to Blencathra LD/008

Note dog and mast waiting to be raised!

15 Likes

my dog ORA !! with me for a few SOTA activations

16 Likes

Last week we wanted to activate EI/IS-096. When we parked the car, there was a border collie. When we got out of the car he just walked straight to the top. Every ten meters in front of us, he looked if we where following him. And after a half hour or so, we reached the top. He was not tired. And when I build up my station he sometimes jumped on to the KX3. It was a little bit difficult to keep sending CW.
When we went back he was guiding us to the the start.

15 Likes

This reminds of when me and my dad Tom M1EYP were in Sark last year and after activating Le Mouin GU/GU-001 we explorer around Sark and Little Sark and while on Little Sark this old golden retriever named Rover decided walk with us and walked with us down to sea and back to where this dog joined us for the walk. Further information on this can be found here Le Moulin 2018

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

It is always a bit difficult when the transceiver is near the sausages …

:wink: Armin

3 Likes

:slight_smile: :joy::blush::grin::crazy_face:

My dog Zac is used to put his paw on my hand and on cw-key and remove it only when I give him a snack… :expressionless:

7 Likes

He’s got you well trained then.
(P.S. my two dogs have me trained to the same level)

2 Likes