SOTA Dogs on Summits

Poppy (mountain dog) and Roxy (sofa dog), Sota buddies of Kimo!!

DSCN4951 DSCN3797 DSCN3885 IMG_5247

15 Likes

SASHA:
Sasha is a 10-year-old rescue Lurcher (Greyhound/ Staffy cross) originally trained as a lamper. Unless you happen to be a deer, rabbit or squirrel, she’s affectionate, faithful and quite obedient. She’s very quick on her feet and can be over the local horizon inside ten seconds when you least expect it and once game is sighted. So far she has 87 SOTA points on 14 summits including 18 winter bonus and has done three summit camps, two in 2018 and one in 2018-19. I am not the owner, just the walker but we are the greatest of pals!

Great Coum G/NP-011:

Great Whernside G/NP-008:

Cracoe Fell G/NP-032:

Thanks for all the Mountain Mut photos, all different and all enjoyed. What a popular thread this is proving to be. Well done Phil!
John G4YSS
(GX0OOO/P)

22 Likes

Here’s Annie and Sparkles hound, DX-Dog, the 59 K9 On Max Patch

15 Likes

throwing Fresbee during two QSO

16 Likes

From our most recent activation. Mac and Pudding

23 Likes

I found some more:

OE/NO-197 October 24, 2015

OE-OO-330

OK/VY-011

73, Jarek SP9MA

15 Likes

Dexter the Washington State (W7W) SOTA Dog. Dexter is a 10 year old Labrador Retriever. He has accompanied me on dozens of Activations.

Picture is of first SOTA Activation of W7W/CW-120. Photo: KG7EJT

22 Likes

First activation for Kona, 2 1/2 yr old Malinois 7/8/2019 on W7A/AW-003, Mt. Bigelow.

73, Quinton

18 Likes

Ascending G/LD-041 Binsey. From left to right Domino, Rolo, Bailey and Amber.

73 Chris M0RSF

15 Likes

MY IKE

Always a faithful friend.
73 de Igor S59WT

23 Likes

Beautiful dog! Has he learned to decode CW yet? :joy::rofl:

73, Sylvia

1 Like

Always a faithful friend.
73 de Igor S59WT
[/quote]

…Ike perhaps we could set up a sked? :wink:

Jake

17 Likes

My SOTA buddy Harry at Mt Taylor VK1/AC-037 in Canberra.

Kangaroos at Mt Taylor VK1/AC-037

73 Andrew VK1AD

16 Likes

Magnus was born in Hungary in September 2013 as a street dog and came to a shelter. Since he had the chance to be adopted or killed.
There are organizations that mediate these dogs. Simone wanted a dog and when she saw him on the photo, it was love at first sight.
Magnus is a gentle, restrained, but also can show that he has genes of a herding dog.
He loves narrow mountain trails and lakes and streams to cool off.

Today we were at Bärenkopf FL / VO-086.

He is very critical of my cw… I have to adjust the palm …

73 Armin

16 Likes

Balder, my previous dog, on our way up to what I now know is LA/TM-001 Gaustatoppen (way before I got my license). He would have loved SOTA and hiking.

My parent’s current dog is not such a big fan of SOTA or WWFF (this photo is from WWFF on a hill), she only makes CW like noises

18 Likes

If you and your dog happen to meet (Austrian) cattle on your walk…

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

6 Likes

The SOTA community has met Dani the German Shepherd (or Alsatian), who has been hiking with us for almost 10½ years including the last 2 years when I started SOTA. He’s slowing down now but still joins us for the shorter climbs.

Dani on Coosa Bald, W4G/NG-006

Dani following the XYL up Big Frog Mountain, W4T/SU-039

When the station is set up (using the backpack as an operating table), it’s good to have someone keeping an eye on things in case a black bear tries to conduct some unlicensed operations. Tipton Mountain, W4G/HC-011.

Fossils indicate that whales and dolphins evolved from land animals. Dani is evidence of how that must have happened - we never cross a river or creek without mandatory swimming time!

17 Likes

Me with Asia, my Galgo (Spanish Greyhound).

If memory serves me correctly, this was taken on Scafell Pike (G/LD-001) on my SOTA trip to the Lake District around August last year (2018).

She’s a rescue, so we really don’t know how old she is.

Sadly she seems to be slowing down a bit and now struggles with some of the longer/steeper climbs, hence why I haven’t been particularly active on the SOTA front these last few months.

To be fair, Greyhound breeds are build more for high speed, short bursts of energy. They’re not really an endurance dog suited to climbing mountains but I do try to get out with her when I can.

16 Likes

My Beagle is to old to go on most summits and wouldnt be allowed on many in VK as they are in national Parks. Besides she may do this:

18 Likes