SOTA Dogs on Summits

26 Likes

Baron is waiting for Sabina to come closer. We were walking in the trench from WWI, Skabriel mountain, Isonzo front. The trench is so narrow, Sabina can walk alone with the walking sticks.

73, Milos S57D

4 Likes

My Jake and Ian VE6IXD look on as Ken VE6AGR succeeds in first-ever activating VE4/MP-002 (Woody Summit) on June 13, 2019.

It is generally accepted that dogs can pack approximately one-fourth of their body weight. I ran across Taking Your Dog Backpacking thirty years ago; it has chapters on gear, training, wilderness, routes, and making your own dog packs. For how old it is it’s not a bad resource.

9780876666753-us

I have trained Labs to a field standard since 1992 and run in the Master National. Jake is my fourth and enthusiastically learns and throws himself into any work I ask if he wants to do. There is no reason why he cannot carry extraneous gear into the field although I would never put anything fragile on him.

The biggest concern taking a dog into the field here is encountering a moose with a calf as they tend to take aggressive exception to any canid at close range.

Timber wolf track on the Woody Summit activation trail…

(Photos courtesy VE6AGR)

I ran a backcountry ultra-low impact guide service here; where are the llamas now that I really need them? :wink:

llamapacking

(I suppose there’s no one who does SOTA with llamas?)

20 Likes

He’s Zac, a 2 years and 2 months siberian Husky. He’s an half goat mountain with 531 points and 90 summits to date.
We have reduced the activations recently due to the hot weather.
we start again as soon as possible.

I/LO-181 (Cimone di Margno)

I/LO-297 (Monte Crocione)

I/LO-192 (Monte Due Mani)

I/LO-200 (Monte Suchello)

de iw2obx Roby

26 Likes

Love the radio harness for the K9. I hope MPE isn’t exceeded!!!

2 Likes

20 Likes

SOTA Dog, Rex, on Mt Rosa in Colorado. W0C/FR-007.

21 Likes

Sweet!

2 Likes

Moab below Deadwood Peak W6/NS-073

16 Likes

SOTA dog Paula on Milseburg DM/HE-007

on DM/NS-129

and on ON/ON-024

73 Lutz

22 Likes

This is Athena (Tina) she accompanied me on activations of Jobs Peak and Strawberry Peak W6/CT-086 (pictured) back in 2015. She is older now and has had leg injuries and can’t do the hikes anymore. She is a great dog.

17 Likes

My SOTA border collie… Roxy. She’s been with me on most solo activations. Great dog, great friend. She’ll also let me know if anything comes crawling out of the woods while I’m distracted with radio!

26 Likes

Our Chaffy (Chua chua and staffy)“Willow” on ZL3-WC713

21 Likes

And here are Patty and Sadie on Frog Lake Buttes, W7O/CN-024 during a ski activation several years ago. They were willing to follow their mistress Jen-K7GEN anywhere. When they were challenged to keep up on the way down, we played the “small dog card” and carried them.

19 Likes

Nice one Dan! I yet to take our Skye up a hill. Will do it soon. 73 Geoff ZL3GA

1 Like

Nice thread. I lost my best friend and hiking partner earlier this year. She made it 13yrs. Always eager to jump in the truck and head up a peak. Great protector of my kids when they were younger. She got me into a bit of trouble now and then, but well worth it!

Nana the SOTA Mutt atop Mount Elwell W6/NS-182

She went SK 01/18/2019… RIP girl…

73, Todd KH2TJ

24 Likes

Mt Watson W6/NS-147

Always on point!

17 Likes

Maggie on W7I/SR-126 Squaw Butte.

19 Likes

Here’s Ollie, the best dog ever on Wolf Point, W7O/NC-027 last year. We miss him a lot.

21 Likes

Flutter fading is too strong when he moves anyway :rofl::joy:

73, Sylvia

3 Likes