SOTA and solar cycle 25

I seem to remember reading that activity always rises faster than it tails off (over the course of the entire cycle).

05:37 Utc

4 Likes

05:51 Utc

05:10 Utc

We have moderate solar activity already - and today we had the largest solar flare in over 3 years! The flare was behind the east limb, and much of the X-ray energy was blocked - and we still had an M4.4 flare! It appears that the flare was likely a Class X flare.

Large classic coronal loops were visible for many hours after the flare, and the slow decay of the x-rays was characteristic of a large flare.

In a day or two, more of the active region will move into view, and perhaps we’ll have more energetic activity. The solar flux has risen to 116, so we’ll probably see more interesting propagation for a while.

This is not the quiet sun that we’ve had for several years. The bands are NOT DEAD!

George
KX0R

4 Likes

Well I certainly found Sunday to be a lot better prop wise on the 10m band than Saturday was. USA on Saturday was in for for for around 15 mins yet on Sunday USA was in and out to different parts for a good two hours and reaching further west into IL. It was also wide open for a good hour or so to eastern EU on the Sunday morning but not Saturday, so I was not just hearing the bigger guns like I was on the Saturday. The good days for ham radio on the higher bands are coming again!

73 Phil

1 Like

I’m late today :slight_smile:
06:06 Utc

1 Like

06:55 Utc

05:01 Utc