SOTA 2m CW Day

I didn’t hear you either :frowning:

You got one more 2m CW QSO than I did! I called for a long time on 2m CW from G/SP-015, but no QSOs at all. 20 QSOs on 2m FM including 4 S2S was some consolation.

1 Like

Apologies for my ignorance, Are we looking at using horizontal polarisation?

David
G0EVV

1 Like

Mainly yes, although I tried calling with both H and V-pol yesterday.

1 Like

Trying again.

3 Likes

It will help chasers like me with choice of both if polarisation is stated in the spot. You are pretty good like that Tom - you always spot your working freq after QSY from 145.500 and you always declare your TX freq offset on FT8, always a big help. Stating the polarisation used on VHF modes other than FM when spotting yourself should be compulsory!

73 Phil

2 Likes

Are you free to try a few modes on 2m now Phil?

1 Like

Yes Tom but modes available here are limited to the popular ones. FM AM SSB CW FT4 FT8 RTTY PSK haven’t tried much else I’m afraid.

73 Phil

1 Like

Shall we meet on 144.525 in the all modes section? I’m just completing an SSTV QSO there atm. H-pol.

1 Like

Can try Tom as you have beam may work you. Moving my RX now after the excitement of working Vlad again RX9WT R9U/SO-064 on 20m CW split.

73 Phil

1 Like

Tuesday evening seems to be fine weather. I set an alert for another 2m multi-mode activation.

FT-817; 5W; 2el delta loop (horizontal) and J-Pole (vertical).

Summit to be decided later. Watch for up-dates!

73 Heinz

2 Likes

Tuesday evening is the 2m UK activity contest night. 1800-1855z 2m FM, and 1900-2130z 2m SSB (and maybe some CW?).

I’ll be out on a hill for that, but therefore won’t be available to try at 1600z. But if you’re still QRV at 1730, maybe there is a chance? I should be just about set up then.

1 Like

1730z should work for me. I will spot myself.
73 Heinz

2 Likes

The wx today is very poor and forecast to remain so through until late evening. I won’t be activating tonight.

3 Likes

I have been giving aerials a bit of thought for use on 2m CW. I think I have a cunning plan.

I have located 2, good quality HB9CV’s in the loft, along with a power splitter. The web says 4.2dBd gain per aerial. The stacking distance with the modest gain aerials being 1.3m That should deliver 7.2dBd at 4.5 m on a roach pole, minus 0.3dB RG213 line loss.
All I need is 2 paxolin squares to mount the aerials (at their centre of gravity) on the pole using a couple of cable ties. Simples.

Roll out the good wx.

David
G0EVV

1 Like

David, if you going to go a bit of trouble to make a better yet manageable 2m antenna system then why not treat yourself to a length of LMR400 coax? It’s just a little over half the weight of RG-213 and over a 1dB less lossy at 100MHz and 2.3dB less lossy at 400MHz. I’m not a 100% sure if standard RG213 fit BNC or N connectors fit it though but crimp N connectors are only £3ea for it.

1 Like

Hi Tom,
OK, understood. Thanks for the info. I have a forecast for dry and sunny weather and will activate later today!

73 Heinz

2 Likes

Tomorrow evening looks much nicer so I hope to be out for the 2m FT8 event 1900-2100z. Although I have a dodgy feeder to check…

1 Like

I understand the point, lighter and lower loss but, I would only save 0.145dB and I would have to source the cable and N types. but I agree, every little helps.

David
G0EVV

1 Like

The Propquest website is showing a possibility of some ES later today.

1 Like

Aerials now ready. Summit identified.
Do we have a date(s) in mind?
David
G0EVV

1 Like