SOTA 2m CW Day

Despite my wife keep telling to put that stuff on I can’t be bothered at my age. But hoping to stop getting more liver spots and brown blotches on my face and arms, I aired my tarp and tent yesterday, not for their usual deployment in winter weather but from the sun on forthcoming activations.

2 Likes

A 2m CW session this coming Saturday morning then folks?

1 Like

I tested my suspect 3-el 2m Yagi on G/LD-052 on this beautifully sunny morning. Beaming to the Ballymena mountains 240km away in N.I. I heard the GB3NGI 2m beacon clearly about S2 and I had a 2m QRPp-QRPp SSB QSO with Rick 2E0FRS near Preston (5/2 both ways on 500mW, 5/8 on 5W). CW should be even better.

So, I’m ready for a pre-2m-CW-SOTA-Day trial. I’ll try to make Saturday late morning [1st May] if others are doing likewise.

2 Likes

For comparison, we receive GB3NGI at our contest site above Gatehouse of Fleet using a 5 lambda Yagi at 10m AGL into a Kuhne transverter (damn hot rx) at about 579 over a 140km non-LOS path. We have to beam into the lower slopes of Pibble Hill. That received signal of yours doesn’t sound too bad for a much smaller antenna and the fact you have the Old Man of Conniston in the way.

1 Like

Google Earth suggests there’s not much in the way [That 352m spike spoiling complete LoS is too small to be OM of C]. Fortunately most of the path is over water.

Google Earth © 2021

On a good day I can just make out the GB3NGI ID above the noise when pointing the Yagi out of the upstairs bedroom window at about 27m ASL.

1 Like

I will message my area ham clubs to optimize my chances.

2 Likes

There is a OE HF-contest running 5:00 till 8:00 UTC om May 1st. No sota for me, but I will listen and optimistically looking forward for chasing, but I guess no chance to reach G,M,2E-land, VHF activity contest starting at 13:00 UTC .
CUL gl Martin

2 Likes

I can always receive GB3NGI here (IO87, about 230 miles across Scotland)) but, recently, there have been problems with it.
Following a report from another IO87 station and some work with GI6ATZ (the beacon keeper) it appears that the antennas do not like snow and I did have a period in February when it couldn’t be heard even on JT65B.

Not sure if all the problems have been solved

1 Like

Just set an alert for a 2m multi-mode activation this evening to test gear (FT-817, J-pole and 2 el Beam). I have never ever made a 2m CW QSO. Let’s see how this works out.

73 Heinz

EDIT: The FT-817 could do AM as well, if somebody wants to resurrect this ancient mode.

5 Likes

I’ll try to get out to attempt a 2m CW S2S with you!

2 Likes

Heinz, it’s never too late. Take the beam, be patient or put an airplane or equal reflector between stns, hi, gl 73

2 Likes

Hi Tom,

Will be looking for you!

144.050 +/- CW; FT-817; 5W; 2 el beam; horizontal polarization

In the longrun I will improve both, my output pwr and my antenna, but not today.

73 Heinz

PS: Don’t forget to charge your phone!

1 Like

Hi Martin,

How about an activation today? Grab your equipment and up to Höllenstein! Let’s attempt a S2S! It could work into OE3.

73 Heinz

1 Like

I will have a listen out for you. QTH is SW UK. I feel success is very unlikely, but I have an OK take off to the SE so you never know. If we get anywhere near a QSO, please be aware I am a CW beginner!

No chance of getting Tom from home I don’t think as I live on a S facing slope.

1 Like

sri Heinz, qrl in the barn today. Just bota or dota (dumps on the air) from my side.
And the TR-751 on my car is defective at the moment, just FM and cannot open squelch…
cul 150km+ will work in OE 73 Martin

1 Like

Clg and clg on 144.060, with a self-spot. No replies at all yet. I might have to resort to FT8…

1 Like

I went bi for you Tom but no copy in IO94of today, tried horizonal and vertical, which were you? Hung around on 144060 for 10 minutes, sent my call a few times but nothing heard unfortunately. Always have a key plugged in to my FT-991A, yes I am another user like you of that FB radio.

73 Phil

1 Like

I am willing to try 2m cw if I am free and I will probably operate from one of the G/TWs.

Nick

1 Like

I am always up for something different and 2m CW on a Sota ticks the boxes. The aerial is going to be the hard part, the last time I did such was an overnight on Skiddaw and Cross fell with 10W of SSB to a 9E Tonna.
I have read the mail and I think 0900 to 1300 would be my favourite, on a nice warm dry day. So please book the WX.

David
G0EVV

2 Likes

1 QSO on 2m CW, 11 on SSB, but did not hear Tom, M1EYP!
Not bad for a day during the week.

73 Heinz

1 Like