SOTA 2m CW Day

Somehow I feel that a 2m CW day later in the year would be fun. I’m currently buying a new QTH that has this view and some 2m CW would be fun. Any takers for a 2m CW event later in the year? If yes, post here and I will sort out a date.

11 Likes

Count me in.

But beware. You may remember in days past when a spate of 2m CW activations was described by a chaser as “Selfishness of the Highest Order”. ISTR you responded with some SOLO activations (Selfishness of a Lower Order).

2m CW will not be everyone’s cup of tea. However, it is definitely mine, so I’m in.

2 Likes

Nice view.
I’ll give it a whirl.

3 Likes

I’d give it a go. Not used 2m in ages.

3 Likes

I’ve worked one 2m CW activator, KI4SVM. I wasn’t sure his spot for 2m SSB/CW was right, but I tuned up and heard him about 339. Only 2m CW QSO in the log. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Richard, what rigs are used with cw and ssb mode?

73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Great idea Richard, I have no fear of CW on 2m and have an FT817 for the job my worry would be finding enough chasers who can do CW within the foot print of the summit to qualify the Activation. Would have HF as a back up.
Enjoy your new QTH looks like a nice area.
vk5cz …

3 Likes

Hallo Richard

I think a SOTA activity day in 2m CW is a good idea.
There have been activities in FM on 2m. I can’t remember a CW event. But I haven’t been around that long either.
In CW, quite good distances can be reached on 2m, so it would be really interesting.
Besides, it would be a revival of the 2m band, which was already endangered for us.
There would also be a whole new group of chasers.
It should preferably be on a weekend when there is no other 2m contest…

73 Armin

3 Likes

The FT817 is probably the most common radio for 2m CW/SSB.

4 Likes

I could imagine activating my old IC 202 again… :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve more or less given up trying to activate on 2m with CW and now only have 2m CW QSOs with like-minded locals. I would be happy to participate in a 2m CW Day. Despite Tom’s warning, I would hope non-CW or HF chasers won’t resent us indulging in our minority sport for one day.

5 Likes

…we can additionally set up a 2m ssb day :wink:

73 Armin

4 Likes

Sounds good Richard, never tried on 2m before.so not sure if the ft991a will cope

3 Likes

Hello

I am now quite brave… and suggest
the 25.7. as 2m cw day and
the 22.8. as 2m ssb day…

What do you think?

73 Armin

3 Likes

Works for me. I wonder if people might prefer a weekend or a single day?

1 Like

It will Allen. That’s my new home rig, and it copes with everything I’ve demanded from it so far, including being able to operate even in the presence of what appears to be possible PLT-type QRM from a neighbour that blights 3 - 10MHz! You should have no problem getting it to work on 2m CW.

3 Likes

I’d narrow it even further. As 2m is relatively local/regional, you don’t need to worry about even making activity windows for each (vertical) hemisphere - they can organise their own locally if needs be.

I would recommend a 3 hour Saturday session, say 0900-1200z, in order to focus activity. The danger of having a whole day or weekend period for this sort of thing is the inevitable spreading of activity and significantly less S2S possibilities.

I would also recommend “building up a head of steam” with a series of “proof of concept” sessions. This appears to be working well with the SSTV thing at present. We haven’t set a date for a wider SOTA SSTV event yet, but by having Saturday morning activity sessions, we are building up interest and creating opportunities for activators and chasers to get systems working accordingly.

2 Likes

Hi Tom… nice radios. I would be interested to know what the best settings are for recieving cw if I might be a pain. I know I get out ok but on sota I never seem to recieve too well so I think maybe I am doing something wrong…Would appreciate you knowledge you being an old hand…Thanks best 73

1 Like

Hi Allen,

I’m an ‘old hand’ at SOTA activating, but extremely new to the FT-991A - I’m very much still at the familiarisation stage with it! If I come up with any tips I’ll let you know.

In fact this “SOTA chasing from home” business is a bit of a new thing for me, or at least something I’ve not done for many years. The combination of varying lockdown restrictions and a new shack radio have encouraged me to be a bit more of a home QTH-based SOTA chaser.

2 Likes

Count me in.

1 Like