Snowdonia 10-13 September 2020

Planning to be in Snowdonia activating 10-13 September 2020. Will have 2M FM handheld (with APRS for spotting) and maybe HF SSB. Radios are Kenwood TH-D74 and KX2, so 70cm and a variety of HF bands available if there are any special chaser requests! Summits depend on weather and enthusiasm at the time, but aiming for some multi-summit days. Timings on any alerts should be taken as a vague indication that I will probably be around at some point that day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good luck. You might need to get there really, really, really earlier or even sooner if this post is anything to go by:-
(UKC Forums - Fracas on Snowdon)

1 Like

I’d heard it was busy, but hopefully won’t be that bad! Aiming to do Snowdon on the Thursday morning via the Watkin path, but won’t be up there that early as I plan to do Y Lliwedd on the way. I’ve done it early-ish via the Watkin path before and having seen no one else on the way up, it was a bit of a surprise to suddenly see loads of people as I got close to the summit!

Parking fortunately won’t be an issue as I can start from my campsite for this walk. But the others I will need to park, hopefully staying locally means I can get there early enough. I do like my hills quiet, so if it all feels too busy I’ll try to find some less popular ones.

1 Like

Im in Wales for a week, going to attempt GW/NW-002, Carnedd Llewelyn. Not sure what others yet, Would be great to get a S2S though!

2 Likes

Plan to be on the summit no later than 0730 bst. This means boots on the ground 0500. Yes it will come light during the ascent!
Do prime objective first, Snowdon. Rest is a bonus that is unaffected by other people.
Carry hands sanitiser if ascending Watkin path where scrambling is needed.
David
G0EVV

2 Likes

Carnedd Llewelyn is on my list of potentials - maybe Friday or Saturday. Planning round the weather a bit, generally looks OK, but might be a bit windy some of the days.

And @G0EVV I’ll be up early, but not THAT early :slight_smile:

Not long got back from the Holiday in Wales. I did plan to activate Llewelyn, but as I was going to activate Carnedd Daffydd for HEMA first, and taking longer to reach the summit I had to cancel!

If Im up that way again I’ll give it another go, sorry to those who were expecting me, but I didnt want to be on a summit in the dark!

A fun and busy long weekend activating.

Thursday was Y Lliwedd GW/NW-008, Snowdon / Yr Wyddfa GW/NW-001 and Yr Aran GW/NW-019 copying @G0POT’s route. Except for I didn’t fancy the steep route down from Yr Aran at the end of a long-ish day, so backtracked to Bwlch Cwm Llan and took the foot path back to meet the Watkin path. Further but easier.

Friday I felt a bit rough, and the weather wasn’t great so had a lazy day. Enjoyed a pootle round Beddgelert which I have a soft spot for.

Saturday was Elidir Fawr GW/NW-005, Y Garn GW/NW-004, Glyder Fawr GW/NW-003 and Tryfan GW/NW-006. This time following @G4OBK’s route. Even down to calling the same taxi firm from the top of Tryfan to take me back to the start! (£45! I think I got the tourist rate!).

Sunday I headed a bit further South hoping to meet the better weather and for a shorter journey home. This time it was Glasgwm GW/NW-015 and Aran Fawddwy GW/NW-007 following @M1EYP and @M0HGY’s route.

I’m very grateful to folks for their write-ups which are a great aid to planning. And also to @HB9DQM for SOTLAS which I find such a pleasure to use.

Obviously to the chasers too. Apologies to people who may have missed me as I was very much smash and grab on the summits. They were often windy and/or busy and I also had some (for me) quite long days so didn’t hang about. All activated with a 2M handy, mostly just with a Diamond SRH771. I did get the roll-up j-pole and 5m pole out a few times, but mostly that was to enable me to operate out of the wind and get the aerial above the shelter! Carried the KX2 all the way round and got it out once on Yr Aran for 2 contacts.

Looking fresh(ish) at the start on Y Lliwedd.

Should’ve listened to @G0EVV and got up earlier to avoid the trig point queue on Snowdon :slight_smile:

I was very glad of the summit shelter on Elidir Fawr as it was in the cloud and windy.

I think this is looking North near Glyder Fach. Enjoyed many views like this over the few days when the cloud lifted.

At the end of a long day, view from the operating position on Tryfan - still hunkering down out of the wind but now the cloud has lifted and I have sun!

Final descent down from Aran Fawddwy at the end of a very enjoyable long weekend :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Congratulations on the Snowdon trio…that’s a mighty hike in one go and my knees were feeling it by the end…and to go on to do two more days of climbing and activating. Great stuff.
Michael G0POT)

1 Like