Shining Tor webcam

Today looks a nice day to bag G/SP-004. Lots of sunshine, pressure 1034mb & rising, & you can even see the inversion layer over Manchester.

In reply to G1INK:

It’s all right for some! Thick fog and overcast here, brrr!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

It’s all right for some! Thick fog and overcast here, brrr!

Same here! Too cold and damp to go out. I’m going to stay at home and work the Welsh expeditions on 5 MHz and 3.666 MHz!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
Very foggy in Princes Street and cold right now. The inversion over the Forth was obvious as we came down the hill from home. So no activating for me today, just Christmas shopping. But I hope to get out over the next 3 days. Andy MM0FMF

In reply to G1INK:

Pity the pressure system didn’t bring with it any decent conditions today. The 2m beacons have been decidedly average tonight: just the usual from Angus, NGI and WRB, PI7CIS audible here in IO83 but very weak and watery. Heard a couple of weak PD’s and an F on 144.300 hovering around the noise floor but not workable. Also heard GM0HTT on the Orkneys calling cq a bit later on in the evening, peaking 5/9 but he wasn’t hearing.

73, Chris

In reply to M1DTJ:

Anyone fancy doing G/SP-004 today ?

In reply to G1INK:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reminding me about the cam, we had planned to do a possible Smash & Grab from the “Tor” hoping for S2S!!!

Once again the “great” British weather spoiling our fun!!!

Nice and warm in shack at the moment,only ventured as far as Cheshire oaks this morning(and that was a quick round trip)!

Main roads here are OK,but side roads full of black ice!!

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Wise move Tony - over a foot of snow on the floor hr in Buxton (30cms +)

In reply to G1INK:

In reply to M1DTJ:

Anyone fancy doing G/SP-004 today ?

I certainly fancy it but attempting to drive up to the Cat would be rather irresponsible at the moment. I’m looking forward to using my snow-shoes soon.

Noticed a few people on the webcam a moment ago so there are some brave souls out.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Strong gusts and horizontal snow up here on the sandstone pimple in Halton. I can imagine it’s only going to get worse up on the tops. JT6M from the warmth of the shack today methinks.

73, Chris

In reply to M1DTJ:

Not looking good for tomorrow, blizzards in Buxton with a fresh 10cm snow on top of ice. Wx forecast for tomorrow is sunny with max -2C.
SP-004 is supposed to be on the webcam.

In reply to G1INK:

Looks like my early VHF Fun Day was a good move. 1-2cm snow here.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G1INK:

I have to say it’s not looking good from here. It’s been snowing quite hard again this morning although it’s warmed up to about 1C. Yesterday was the 1st day it didn’t snow since Christmas Day! The prediction is for -11C tonight. So fresh snow followed by a severe frost doesn’t bode well. It would be all right if any of the hills I was interested in where on main roads but all of them are accessed from minor roads and that’s where the real problems are likely to be.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Snowing very heavily now. Even canceled trip to shops in town!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Another webcam just outside Buxton on the Axe Edge road about 5km from SP-004 Handy to check if your planning doing Shining Tor.

In reply to G1INK:

Can someone please stop the snow… it’s been falling continuously for the last 6 hours :frowning: At this rate getting out tomorrow looks highly unlikely.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Send it this way Andy, just a light dusting here.

Happy new year all!!

James

In reply to G7MLO:

… just a light dusting here.

Ah, we’ll all pile up your local summit James and then see you in the pub afterwards! We’d better be careful though as I gather there is significant snow above the 25m level in your area :wink:

Actually looking at the Met Office website, the latest forecast (1637) has changed from that about half an hour before and here in Northampton we are supposed to be in the thick of it, but not a flake thus far. Sometimes I really despair of the Met Office - they’d do well running a headless chicken farm or a chocolate fireguard factory!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Snowed all day her in Bux Gerald, only stopped about 4.30 ish. 6ins (15cm) fresh snow on top of ice. I don`t know if traffic is moving yet on the main A6 - it had ground to a halt when I walked down town earlier. Looks like I may be restricted to SP-004 tomorrow if I manage to get anywhere.

In reply to G1INK:

The big grind-to-a-halt still happens every winter Steve. It just wouldn’t happen in mainland Europe on a major road like the A6.

The roads could be the major issue tomorrow. Will have to see how far we get. Hopefully at least to SP-007, though NP-032 might be a problem.

73, Gerald