SANTA & SOTA

My wife bought a pair of new Alt-berg boots in the summer, and was also impressed. I’m thinking of getting some.

73’s
David

No Santa in Austria. We have the Christkind.

Anyhow a mic compressor from box73 should arrive this week (hopefully) to give my 817nd a bit more punch.

And a pair of warm winter boots is also a good idea. My normal hiking boots even with Merino socks are at the limit when hiking some hours in snow shoes.

73 Joe

7 Likes

I find the same with my Scarpas. Otherwise I love them

No hardware for me this year (I have everything I need :cry:)
Instead I’m hoping Mrs Santa gives me time off for some SOTA activations :innocent:

2 Likes

Got my “dynamic compressor” last week (the same one you have ordered) - I will be trying it out on my (hoped for, depending upon the weather) activation tomorrow.

73 Ed.

Update: report from my activation (18/12) of audio being “more DX-Like” when turned on but audio sounds like it is being overdriven - which of course can be the compressor or the rig.

Ed, Joe, you will need to do some over the air tests where you adjust the compressor so you get audio improvement without distortion. You can do it the shack with another radio but an over the air test for confirmation is probably best.

Hi Joe and Ed,
Is this DYC-817 you’ve got from Santa a fully assembled and ready to plug and play unit or is it a kit you have had to assemble yourselves?
Thank you.

Guru

Mine was a kit (not really - though - 95% assembled - all small SMD components are pre-installed). There is one (large SMD) capacitor to solder on the board and the RJ45 sockets, the two variable resistors and the on/off switch to be soldered in - that’s it!

It should be noted, this is not an RF sppech compressor such as used to be produced by DF4ZS and wont perform in the same way. I have heard good results from people who have bought the unit - I can hear a slight difference my monitoring on another rig. There are only two adjustment controls. One is the input level to the unit and the other the compression level once sety they are not easy to adjust in the field as they are inside the case. on the exterior of the case is only the on/off switch.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Ok, Ed,
Thanks for the quick reply.
When I saw SMD component on the circuit board, I thought that kit wasn’t for me.
With what you’ve told me now, I think
it might be a nice thing to include in my SOTA-kit, although I don’t always do SSB in my activations…
One more question: if the ON/OFF switch is at the ON position but the rig is being operated on CW, can any current consumption be expected by the DYC-817?
Should that be the case, how much standby current is drawn?
Thank you.

Guru

A few mA for the compressor chip etc.

Hi!

Our “Caga Tió” (It is our Catalan tradition: Tió de Nadal - Wikipedia)

Will bring me a Yaesu FT2DE :star_struck:

It’s a bit unnecessary item (I have a Baofeng and an Anytone D868…) but with its APRS capabilities and wideband receiver I think will be my perfect travel/activities/everyday companion.

Hope to do my first only-V SOTA with it!!

3 Likes

I had a pair of Scarpa SLs that never let me down, although the Cullin gabro made some pretty deep scratches. A large rubber rand would be welcome to those of us who do more scrambling. However, the name Scarpa is not always synonymous with quality:

Thankfully, the ZG65s are no longer in production, but I would exercise caution and look carefully at how the sole is constructed. A foam mid-sole could be a recipe for disaster; that goes for non Scarpa boots too.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

Not good Matt. My last pair of Berghaus boots finally did that to me (hence the Scarpas). Mind you I’m not complaining as they had lasted me years with good service. I actually have 2 pairs (medium and heavy weight). The medium weight boots were a little slippery in the snow last weekend, so I might be getting the heavier boots out for the winter now.

My SOTA related gifts hopefully will be an RF design book, a Dremel and bottles of single malt whisky.

SOTA related, really? :wink:

A lot of SOTA IT runs on single malt.

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: 3cms transvserter arrived :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

3 Likes

Is that a Scottish OS? :wink:

Congrats on your 3cm transverter!
Cheers,

Guru

I guess it’s called “Single Malt threading”
One after the other dram hi

For those without ideas
https://www.volkskunst-krauss.de/raeuchermaennchen-hobby/raeuchermann-funker-102256.html
(found in www.qrpforum.de)
(“Räuchermann” - incense smoker)

73 Ludwig

1 Like

Waouhhh !
Santa Claus as expected kept his promises +++!
You can see the ICOM 7300 still blank, I have trouble getting it started … My first TX with a tactile screen …
Good news my TS-850-SAT, 25 years old :slight_smile: is repaired (25 capacitors which leaks and destroys a circuit trace doing bad display) and gave me 3 new summits this morning!
And the icing on the cake is a TX DMR Revetis RT82 to join the TG973! Now it will be impossible to miss a SOTA

Santa Claus for my partner was also generous … :sweat_smile:
73 Éric F5JKK

3 Likes