SANTA & SOTA

Could this be RF pickup on the line causing futzing and gubbing of the CPU in the 817? Or it’s affecting the tuner and that sends rubbish commands to the 817 causing it to crash?

Maybe some RF choking will fix it but it could be a pain in the derrière to locate and fix.

That’s my guess too and I would first try fitting some ferrrite chokes at both ends of the control cable between tuner and FT-817. In case this doesn’t solve the problem, I’d fit ferrite chokes to the tuner and FT-817 power lines.
Good luck, Declan!
Thanks for all the QSOs.

Guru

I think Declan made that before with his SW-3B

EI6FR

13 Oct

Hi,

I just discovered this same problem on a SOTA activation last weekend. I had been using EFLW (41 feet) via 9:1 UnUn to a KX2 , no problems tuning on bands 10-40m. I switched to using my SW-3B and maAT-10 tuner. No problem on 20m or 30m , tunes quickly. I tried 40m and as soon as I TX within a second the SW-3B stops transmitting so cannot tune wire. I added wire to 58 feet but same result. At first I suspected maAT-10 but checked at home on my 40m dipole and vertical and the SW-3B/maAT-10 combo works fine on 40m. So, I suspect RF from the EFLW getting back in to the radio is the issue. I have added several clip on ferrites to the RG174 patch leads between the 9:1 Unun, maAT-10 and SW-3B and will try it out on a summit next weekend and hopefully this will allow 40m operation. Will post results .

Declan

EI6FR

Well lockdown got in the way of the test but got out today and with the clip on ferrites no more problems "

73 Éric

Hi Eric, just been using it to tune a 41 foot wire with a 9:1 unun, no problem 40m and up, not tried it on 80m yet

Declan

1 Like

Merci Declan

Yep but strange it works fine if the 817 starts in SSB mode but not in CW mode, in both cases it switched to FM , Tunes, but returns to SSB ok but locks the rig rather than return to CW mode. I use the KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) solution and just leave the control line at home :slight_smile:
Dec

1 Like

Will it pick up HF transmissions as well as the Church Organ used to do near me when I lived in Lancashire?

It’s a set of IEMs with wireless pack for stage use, so I certainly hope not! Mind you, 530MHz isn’t exactly HF.

Not only for christmas …

I hope DHL/Customs in Madrid will continue with my uBITX V6.
They have all Dates / Adress / NIE / and my confirmation for paying the 45€ fee - etc but its hanging there now for 4 Weeks…

Hi,

Arrived on time from the Central Empire (2.5 weeks). Frankly a very nice construction, it remains to be tested soon :wink:

73 Éric

2 Likes

My birthday and Christmas are within 10 days of each other. I asked my wife if it would be ok to purchase a radio as a combination present? She said, after 20 years of marriage at least your asking when making these $500 purchases! She never asked the actual price and I just let it slide. :joy:

I am fortunate to live close to DXe and picked this up last week.

1 Like

Merry Birthday! Hope you enjoy the 705 as much as I’ve been enjoying mine :smiley:

I’ve booked myself onto the CW Ops beginners course starting in January as a Christmas treat to myself. Aiming for a CW activation in 2021!

1 Like

I’m sorry I’m late responding to this, but just catching up on my reading. I’m confused…

Comment pourrait-il être trop chaud pour un kilt? Surely the more ventilation the better?

and they talk about “mad dogs and Englishmen:face_with_monocle:****

My wife has just offered to get me an electronic scrap skip for Christmas :frowning:

1 Like

Ask for a full one :smile:

5 Likes

Wasn’t sure about what to ask for this year’s Christmas until I got a clear message in the form of several reboots needed several times to make my old 2nd hand Sony VAIO laptop work.
It’s not only for SOTA but I’ll surely use it for SOTA and ham radio related things.

Merry Christmas to all SOTAris.

Guru

4 Likes

I got some Christmas-money from dad. Thinking about ordering a QCX-mini for 60 m.
73 Martin

3 Likes

Same here with x-tra Christmas money. I just ordered a SW3-b !

1 Like

Class E Parallel Shunt Configuration from A.Grebennikov and QCX-SSB firmware from Guido PE1NNZ
Best Christmas gifts for 2020

https://vk2ihl.wordpress.com/2020/12/24/vk2ihl-20w-all-mode-sdr-part-two/

Cheers, Pascal

This is what Santa brought me!

5 Likes