REPORT - MM0EFI & GW(M)4BML on the high Cairngorms

Strange conditions - obviously you were too close for HF but I managed to work Ben on ES-005 where he was end-stopping & fully quieting. Listened for him on the other two and not even the glimmer of a signal even on the waterfall display. Odd really as all three summits are effectively RF line of sight from here and I had the full EME set-up tuned up for him.

Still have to wait for the complete on Cairn a Mhaim :cry:

3 Likes

It was the same here Brian… well almost. I could hear some words from Fraser on ES-001, but not sufficeintly strong to work him. Then to stick the knife in, Ken G0FEX who is not that far away works Fraser and gives him 57. Strange conditions as Barry says, apparently applicable to both VHF and HF.

Well done Fraser and Ben on an excellent achievement. Something we activators of more advanced years can only dream about. Your itinerary exceeded my “meantime before failure” rating. :grinning:

73, Gerald

3 Likes

Thanks Matthew, it was awesome! Hope to catch you out soon.

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Thanks @M0RWX Robert, it really was a cracking route put together by Fraser! Thoroughly enjoyed it :blush: hope your keeping well and look forward to working you soon.

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Cheers @MW0WML Gerald, it certainly warmed the legs up, especially my biking skills……we won’t say anymore :rofl: sorry I missed you today, was out of range when you activated. Well done on qualifying.

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Activation Report

I’ll start by saying it didn’t turn out like we expected!

All times approx and UTC
We set off from the car park at Linn of Dee at 0530, heading for Derry Lodge by bike. It’s a 5km cycle, not too long, but long enough that cycling will save an hour and a bit on the out and back trip, compared to walking.

riding up Glen Lui

Climbing & Activating GM/ES-005 - 9.5km
We ditched the bikes in the heather at Derry Lodge and set off up Glen Derry towards our first summit - Beinn Mheadhoin GM/ES-005.

This would be the longest leg of the day at 9.5km. We made good progress up the glen and soon had a decision to make. My initial plan was to turn west up past Britains highest bothy, the Hutchison Memorial Hut, climbing towards the outflow of Loch Etchachan and then ascend to the summit plateau of Beinn Mheadhoin from there. However, I’d always fancied climbing to the summit of Beinn Mheadhoin directly up its south-east corner from Glen Derry. We had a chat about it and decided to pick the more direct, pathless but shorter (by 1.5km) route. This is the blue route on the above map.

in Glen Derry - the tor topped summit of Beinn Mheadhoin in the far distance between the trees

As we approached the highest point of the glen, we could see a reasonable line up the steep slopes which seemed to avoid the screes and remaining patches of snow, so we crossed over via a slightly boggy flat and started to ascend.

ascending - the rarely activated GM/ES-011 Beinn a’Chaorainn in the background

It actually wasn’t too bad. We were soon on easier ground and after crossing a snow field we popped over a slight rise and were delighted to see the summit tor directly in front of us.

closing in on the summit

We crossed above a final snowfield, reaching the summit at 0835, an hour ahead of planned time due to our short cut and a decent pace.

The summit tor is an easy scramble, however the plateau beneath is in the AZ, so after we had topped out I made my way down to set up for HF, while Ben nestled down near the top and set up his VHF kit.

Throughout the day Ben would use his Yaesu FT-65 to feed a Spectrum Communications Slim-G suspended on a 4m fibreglass pole. My station was also minimal - Elecraft KX2, 9:1, 41’ inverted V with counterpoise on a sotabeams Carbon6 pole. Typical throughout the day, Ben would be set up and QRV a couple of minutes before me.

GM4BML QRV on GM/ES-005

Surprisingly, I was finished first! I worked eight stations on 40m SSB and was told my one operator that the band hadn’t quite woken up. Meanwhile Ben got nine in the log, all GM with the exception of G0EEW/p, who was out early on The Cheviot G/SB-001. Ben worked @GM4TOE Barry and I worked Brian @G8ADD. Got to keep the MT happy!

MM0EFI & GM4BML - one down, two to go

The road to GM/ES-001 - 5km

We were on our way at 0810, crossing the broad whaleback ridge to its south-west point and then dropping down a steep but reasonable path to the amazingly remote Loch Etchachan. Situated at 920m ASL and with winter ice still hugging its shoreline.

Loch Etchachan

Crossing the outflow of the loch was straightforward, as was the ascent of the path that led southwest to the edge of Coire Sputan Dearg, before then climbing west over snowfields and shattered granite blocks towards the summit of Ben Macdui.

Beinn Mheadhoin and Loch Etchachan behind us

looking into Coire Sputan Dearg

We soon found ourselves on the top of Britains second highest mountain at the same time as everyone else who had climbed it that day, or so it felt! There was a cold breeze blowing and the “crowd” soon dispersed, just leaving Ben, me and the Snow Buntings on the summit.

There are several stone walls, shelters and the like scattered around the place. We found a couple of descent ones just off to the south side of the summit around 35m apart and we got to work setting up our stations.

GM4BML on GM/ES-001

MM0EFI on GM/ES-001

QRV at 1112, this time Ben logged eight stations on 2m, including another summit QSO with G0EVV. I was a bit later starting as I was struggling to get my spot away, however when I got going I logged six, including a summit call from M7BIA/p from G/SP-004. 40m didn’t feel in great shape. SFI was around 130, K was 4. I suspected it was going to be quiet when I was able to re-use my frequency from the previous summit. Worse was to come…

We both packed up. Ben joined me at my wall and lunch was consumed. It was now approaching 1200z. This was the time the WX forecast had said it was due to snow, with lower cloud and showers coming from the west. Glancing west over the high peaks on the other side of the deep cleft of the Lairig Ghru, clear skies had been replaced by low cloud. Spring snow started to lightly blow over us.

Down to Carn a’Mhaim - 4.5km

At 1037m Carn a’Mhaim is not insignificant, however it looked just that from the top of Ben Macdui. At all times we could see the ascent path up its north ridge, which is particularly narrow for this part of the world. Descending over awkward granite blocks interspersed by bands of grass and gravelly soil, we slowly picked our way down to the col. Despite our best intentions we continually drifted off left, our course needing constant correction, such is the problem with descending from a massive convex summit.

The aurorawatch app on my phone pinged an alert. This is never a good sign.

Descending towards Carn 'Mhaim

Cairn Toul GM/ES-003 backdrop

We were both still wearing down jackets when we reached the col. We swapped these for lighter waterproofs and set of up the 2km climb up an ever narrowing ridge towards the summit. Unfortunately the true summit was only found after we had ascended several likely candidates - all of them proving to be false.

Carn 'Mhaim

On nearing the top, the cloud dropped and the snow increased in volume. Never settling, but enough to make walking unpleasant. We topped out at 1330.

summit selfie - could be anywhere!

We found a couple of granite blocks just off to the south of the summit and set up our respective stations.

GM4BML station on GM/ES-013

Again, Ben was on the air before me (1343z). As I pegged the mast (for the first time today) I heard him work a few stations and then his endless unanswered CQ calls. Me, well as soon as I turned the radio on I knew things weren’t right. 40m was absolutely quiet. It had been on Ben Macdui too, so I spotted myself and gave it a go. Nothing. After ten minutes I gave up. Not even the Super Chasers were getting through. I re-spotted on 20m, not expecting much there either. I could hear Ben calling CQ in the background, his calls still going unanswered. 40m was closed and 2m was flat. There was a real chance that we would not qualify the summit.

Well, somehow 20m had some life to it. I’m guessing it had recovered a bit quicker from what we now know was an X-Class solar flare of decent proportions. My calls were answered by @HA7WA @SA4BLM and @F4WBN. Ben joined me as I was in QSO with Christain, signalling that he wanted the mic. I told Chris, “additional operator”, and put Ben on, giving him the fourth contact. I called for my fourth for another couple of minutes and was delighted to make the qualification thanks to @S52CA , who was on S5/BI-039.

Heading back to Derry Lodge
Sighs of relief and handshakes all round, we packed up the now damp kit and headed off south into the gloom. Initially we found it impossible to find the path. However we eventually picked out a line of heli-bags full of granite boulders leading the way down the hill. Materials flown up for path repairs.

The only real obstacle that remained on the long return route was the Luibeg burn. Thankfully it was at a reasonably low level. We stopped for a drink from its cool waters before hopping across.

the Luibeg burn

Soon enough we were back at the lodge and retrieving our bikes from the heather. We bumped into a couple of chaps who had been climbing Derry Cairngorm. They were also preparing to ride out. Spotting Bens handheld, one asked, “Are you Mountain Rescue?”. “No, we’re radio amateurs who climb mountains and operate portable radio stations from the tops”, I replied.
“Oh, do you know Colwyn?” @MM0YCJ - Bob and Ian say “Hi”.

It was a damp but quick 5km ride back to the car park at The Linn of Dee. We got back there around 11 hours after having set off, having covered over 38km and climbed 1531m.

An hour later we had showered, changed and were sitting in front of a log fire, our noses teasing us with the aromas of what was to come - Chicken Madras, Paneer in tomatoes and spinach, dry beef Keralan curry, pliau rice and naan bread. All cooked from scratch by Mo. :yum:

A huge thanks to the Chasers on 2m who supported Ben on his activations and to the guys listening for me on 40m/20m SSB. I’ve always said SOTA is a team sport and this trip proved it in many ways!

Fraser @MM0EFI
Ben @GW4BML (GM4BML)

26 Likes

Was great to work you from two summits @MM7MWL Mike. Unfortunately we didn’t get the third, conditions were not good! Look forward to making our next qso when I’m up again or in G/LD :+1:

73, GW4BML. Ben

2 Likes

True. Daydreams and memories are not enough.

1 Like

Was a great effort by you both. Haste ye back soon for another go. 73 Mike

1 Like

Hi both.

Thanks for report and photos…a great adventure. Thank you Fraser for the one and only contact of the day…I was one of the many listening to a silent radio for the next two :grin:.

73 Allan

3 Likes

Great write up and photos. Pity I couldn’t hear you on HF. I enjoyed your report.
73 Roger

3 Likes

Top marks for a splendid activation and enjoyable report. Last time I was up there, having walked in from the Linn, I had my lunch basking in the sunshine at Loch Etchachan and was in T-shirt on top of Derry Cairngorm! I was sunburned when I got back to the car. The mountains are never totally predictable and certainly never dull. A fine effort, chaps, despite the WX and the radio conditions.

1 Like

An epic expedition! You must both be very satisfied with the achievement. Many congratulations. :slight_smile:

Band conditions were strange today. I was doing some chasing from France and managed with my 10W a 12m SSB QSO with EA8/HB9HCS/P, who was in Tenerife on EA8/TF-002. I then played for a short while with FT8 on 10m and the only stations who could hear me were in South America!

1 Like

Once did that journey on nordic skis… less said about my skiing the better! Suffice to say it would have been quicker walking and certainly involved a lot less bruises!

Cracking Activation report and photos!
73 Gerald

1 Like

Great report. Well done you two.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

When I was younger (it feels like some time in the cretaceous!) we used to walk from Muir, which adds about an extra mile each way and usually resulted in getting back in the dark.

Did you know that Menlove Edwards once swam down the Linn? Must have had a death wish!

3 Likes

Great photos, and appreciate the report. Glad you managed all your summits. And glad to see I;m not the only one who is propelled through the ranges by the thought of a good curry at the end,

‘So many contours!’ … then I realised that you contours every 10m, not 20m. Cheats!

BTW: The only time I’ve bumped into anyone in the hills in ZL who knew what SOTA was, they’d been working as a nurse in Scotland and frequently encountered ‘you lot’ operating there. So the Scottish SOTA op’s are ‘world-famous, even in New Zealand’.

4 Likes

Hi Fraser & Ben, great report of your activation. Terrific photos too. Glad you enjoyed the day.

Cheers Geoff vk3sq

2 Likes

Hi @G0EVV David, I hope you enjoyed your activation from SB-001 on Saturday. It was great to get the S2S from two of our planned summits. Thank you very much for calling in :blush: deffo look forward to the next qso!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Well done both of you… an excellent achievement. Many thanks for the report and photos Fraser which brought back memories from over half a century ago! I must try to get back up there to do a less onerous outing before I hang my boots up.

2 Likes