REPORT - MM0EFI & GW(M)4BML on the high Cairngorms

Full Report further down this Thread

Saturday 30th April, Ben and I will aim to complete a 38km round of three of the high Cairngorm summits from Linn of Dee.

GM/ES-005 Beinn Mheadhoin eta 0950z
GM/ES-001 Ben Macdui eta 1150z
GM/ES-013 Carn a’Mhaim eta 1400z

We’re hoping to run a 2m station and an HF station simultaneously.

These mountains are high, have a great take off and I’ve had a summit to summit to G/LD with just the 2m hand held before, so if you’re out and about please look out for us.

28 points on offer.

Cheers,

Fraser @MM0EFI
Ben @GW4BML

15 Likes

Great stuff. Just spoken to Ben on Skiddaw so he’s going to have a busy few days! Good luck with the round and the WX. 73. Mike

2 Likes

Hi Fraser,
I think it will only be 28 points for a chaser, it will be a pleasure to QSO you :wink:
73, Éric

1 Like

If they work me on HF and Ben on VHF would they not get 2 x points?

No.

1 Like

Ok, I stand coreected. Will edit.

1 Like

That’s a bit of a marathon, Fraser, I make it about 23 miles, tho’ I assume you will cycle to Derry Lodge and perhaps up Glen Derry, too, on that ugly bulldozed track. Anyway, if tomorrow is as sunny as today was, I intend to set up portable in my garden to make sure the gear still goes together, so don’t get excited if you hear G8ADD/P calling you! :wink:

2 Likes

Brian, Yes cycle to Derry Lodge. The track up glen Derry has been reinstated as a path, however it is still rideable. We’ll be leaving the bikes at Derry lodge because the return leg from Carn a’Mhaim will come back via the track that comes from the bottom of the Lairig Ghru, crossing the Luibeg burn and back that way.

We have a bale out option affer each ascent if needed. We can come down the Sron Riach from Ben Macdui if needed too.

There’s snow forecast for tomorrow afternoon …

Looking forward to it!

3 Likes

Arrived in Scotland and all ready to go :blush: looking forward to a great trip out tomorrow with @MM0EFI Fraser :+1:

8 Likes

Good luck both! Hope you have a great time…

2 Likes

Good luck to you both tomorrow.
Hoping for some fancy drone footage again…
Enjoy!

1 Like

Enjoy both… chunky day out that!

2 Likes

Hopefully I will be on G/SB-001 at these time with HF and VHF QRO. S2S and 1 complete on offer for me!!

Regards
David
G0EVV

2 Likes

GM/ES-001 to G/SB-001 is a true optical LOS path of 125km, should be simple handy to handy. Hell it will probably work fine on 47GHz.

2 Likes

Horrid in the snow - how do I know…? :grimacing:

1 Like

Depends on the type of snow!

Just worked Fraser on ES-005, so far so good!

2 Likes

The Inuit have many words for snow. I have just one - but I can’t repeat it here… :rofl:
Just worked Ben who is with Fraser on GM-ES-005, on 2m. Worked him on Skiddaw yesterday afternoon on 40m. Great effort by him with even more to come this weekend. .

1 Like

I have edited the Alert times to UTC

3 Likes

The times quoted in this thread are an hour out, so I hope chasers are not working to those. :worried:

2 Likes

I love the stuff in all its glorious variations, most of which I have either met or carefully avoided in my years of snow and ice climbing! Sleet, now, I just don’t have a sufficient vocabulary to express how I detest that abomination of desolation!

2 Likes