Report added - Plane, SOTA & Sleep: DM/BM-210 Moritzberg

Hi Ben,

Elaine and I have now planned a trip to Yorkshire from 4th November until 7th November for our anniversary.

Planning 3 G/TW Summits over the weekend.

Would love S2S with you but don’t think my timings will match?

will watch your alert to see if 20m is a possible?

Have a good trip anyway

Tony

2 Likes

Hi Tony,

I hope both Elaine and yourself are keeping well! It was good to make a S2S last Saturday when I was up in G/LD land.

Unfortunately I think I’ll be operating on Tuesday 7th November, so you may have already left by then? It’ll be in the afternoon. Would of been great to make a S2S on 20m!

Take care and 73, GW4BML. Ben

2 Likes

The fotos Michael @DB7MM has uploaded could illustrate a Stephen King novel! The summit is not really that spooky. I have up-loaded some fotos under better weather and light conditions. You get an idea of what to expect in the activation zone.

The country inn is closed on Mondays but should be open all other days according to their web page. http://www.berggasthof-moritzberg.de/ I would not be surprised if this is just a seasonal operation.

73 Heinz

1 Like

Hello Ben,
I replied to your e-mail concerning Hotel in Nürnberg, etc. a few days ago!
I assume it did not reach you!
Please advice how to proceed!
73 de DL2NGT Karl

1 Like

Hi Ben

I’d recommend the Park Plaza - nice hotel opposite the Gewandhaus

Cheers

Rick

2 Likes

Hi Karl,

I hope you keep well.

I did send you a message a few days ago but didn’t receive anything back yet I’m sorry. I have just sent you another PM now - please let me know if you haven’t received it.

73, GW4BML. Ben

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info - I have managed to find a hotel, it’s the SPS exhibition, so everything is full that week :grinning:

73, BML

I saw your spot earlier today. I hope you were successfull and could enjoy the trip!

73 Heinz

1 Like

Hi Heinz

I didn’t stay listening for too long after my QSOs with Ben and Karl but they were a good 58 in north east England as we continue to enjoy good 20m daytime propagation into mainland Europe into the afternoons. I reckon it was a very successful activation. Sure to get a report from Ben I reckon when he has some free time.

73 de Phil G4OBK

3 Likes

Activation report of ‘Moritzberg’ DM/BM-210:

Tuesday 8th November 2022

@GW4BML
@DL2NGT

Well that was a great bit of fun yesterday with Karl @DL2NGT on our joint SOTA activation from the summit of ‘Moritzberg’ DM/BM-210.

As you were aware from my above message, I had a business trip to Nuremburg in Germany. As us SOTA folk do…. I checked if there was any summits near-by and loan behold there was :grinning:

Karl kindly come back to me explaining he’d love to join me and drive to the summit for us to activate it and have a great time - which we did.

I landed overseas picking a great day for SOTA, the sun was rising bright in the sky and no rain was to be seen:

Once I’d reached the hotel, Karl picked me up and off we went on our SOTA jollies.

Excuse the very tired and pale look from myself :rofl: I’d missed a nights sleep!

We parked up in a small car park and followed a tarmac road for half a mile which gradually climbed to the peak of the summit. Now, this is what I call luxury SOTA - there were benches on top and even a pub and restaurant!! COME ON SNOWDONIA, GET IT RIGHT!! hi.

It was very quiet on top, so we set up our office on one of the tables provided and our antenna to the side of a small park. The equipment comprised of my faithful Elecraft KX2, 10.8v Li-ion battery pushing 10w into the EFHW being held up by my SOTAbeams 4.1m pole.

It was time to begin calling out CQ SOTA and find out what state the bands were in.
We began on 20m which was working very well and enabled us to have a great pile-up ending with 29 stations in the log - what a start!

After putting out final calls we moved over to 40m which wasn’t so good but we did manage a further 19 stations in the log :grinning:
We shared the microphone on both bands working each station who called into us also managing to take a quick photo of us both working very hard:

Once everyone was worked and there was no further callers, we decided to pack up as it was getting pretty cold! The wx stayed on our side all afternoon with blue sky and the sun showing itself on occasions.

I had a brief look around - lovely part of the country. I do recommend activating this summit if your in the area. It’s a 6 pointer, very easy to access and you have food and beer on tap when on the top! :grinning:

I’d like to say a massive thank you to Karl for your great help and company, I had a fab afternoon!

Also thank you all very much who called into our joint station - the support was greatly appreciated :+1: until next time…….

73, DL/G4BML/p Ben & DL2NGT/p Karl

18 Likes

Isn’t it compulsory for German SOTA summits to have a bench?

I don’t know why you are complaining since GW/NW-001 has a train to the top with a cafe!

3 Likes

It looks like it, so far I’ve activated 3 and they all have had benches :grinning:

The worst summit to activate in Wales and one of the easiest, so that one doesn’t count :rofl: you have to queue to reach the AZ, so I dread to think what conditions would be like if they had a pub on top!

2 Likes

Dear Ben @GW4BML and Karl @DL2NGT,

It was a pleasure to work you both yesterday on 40 m. Unfortunately, I could not claim a S2S, because I was “only” on a GMA mountain [Hausberg, DA/HE-064, 486 m a.s.l.]. Anyhow, I enjoyed chasing you both with honest 59.

This was my location:

I am looking forward to the next QSOs with you.

73 de Peter, DM7KN

3 Likes

Well, never rely on it, particularly in winter time! You may want to have a look at the pictures in my report here about my activation of the Kreuzberg. :wink:
73 de Peter, DM7KN

3 Likes

and a halfway cafe on the way up!

2 Likes

Hm, like DM7KN wrote, never rely on it (picture 2 and 3)!

73, Ludwig

3 Likes

One more summit?

2 Likes

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for chasing us, it was great to get you itl :grinning: looks like you had good wx too!

Look forward to our next qso - that maybe a S2S :+1:

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Unfortunately this cafe isn’t open at 05:00 UTC in the morning when I tackle this summit, nor are the trains in motion. Reason being so early is you don’t get the crowds, although there’s still over two handfuls at that time on summit! :grinning:

2 Likes

We are used to no benches on 6 point summits in GW land unfortunately Ludwig, your lucky to get a rock to prop up against or shade you from the lovely Welsh wx :rofl:

2 Likes