Refreshments up the summits

I’m fairly sure that Kendal Mint Cake cannot possibly “go off”. I remember me and Brian G4ZRP having some once he found in a bag that was at least 16years old. Did us no harm!

3 Likes

The advantage of Kendal Mint Cake is that it is so disgusting that I would only ever consume it in an emergency unlike chocolate which would get scoffed on every trip.

10 Likes

Tea (PG Tips) in a thermos gets me to the trailhead… water after that. But if I ever activate Mt. Wilson W0C/SM-001, I’ll bring along a Coors Light for the summit, since that is the mountain pictured on the beer can.

2 Likes

Marek

No Wasabi? No Gari?

73 Ludwig

2 Likes

My shortest activations are around 2 … 3 hours hiking and on the summit and 2 hours driving.

For hikes in colder times:

• a flask of hot tea (black or green, made at home, with lemon juice and some honey),
  • bread with butter and cheese,
  • some sliced fruits, most apples

For shorter hikes in other times:

• a bottle plain water, time by time mixed with a little bit of juice,
  • more water in the car,

For longer hikes:

• one bottle (1 l) plain water,
  • one bottle (1 l) water mixed with around 20 % bitter lemon (the one with sugar and not artificial sweetener) and some crystals salt,
  • more water in the car,

On every hike, as a backup

• some fruit bars

73, Ludwig

2 Likes

Camleback full of water and sandwiches. If its going to be cold at the summit then campstove and a can of soup (a meal in it’s self) Nothing fancy just enough to keep me going. Being diabetic a bottle of Lucozade and some bars of chocolate for emergencys

2 Likes

Mine definitely had a “use by” date, not a “best before” date otherwise it would still be in my pack… especially as I’m normally activating in the land of frugality. :joy:

1 Like

I’ve only taken sandwiches once and for some reason didn’t enjoy them.

These days, to help with the old joints, I take a tin of mackerel as well as random snacks. Plenty of good calories there.

Mark.

2 Likes

A few times, I brought my new lightweight camping stove, a skillet, and crepe batter. Crepes on a mountaintop were luxurious!

5 Likes

Hope you remembered the maple syrup :blush:

1 Like

Crepes on a contest site (chef is GM4HWO)

crepe1

A selection of Rum, Liqueurs and conserves for the crepes.

crepe2

5 Likes

Most of my activations include the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (PBJ). After reading this, I’ll never be able to look at PBJ the same way.

On the other hand, I can hurriedly scarf down a PBJ while putting up the antenna. Not sure how do do that while eating crepes.

2 Likes

I use a water pouch in my rucksack, and always carry some chocolate/crisps/sandwiches and a bottle of emergency lucozade. because you never know when you might need that energy boost for a last push!

Alan

3 Likes

I wouldn’t touch Kendal Mint Cake with a bargepole, you should never have more than 5% Sugar as part of your daily calorie intake, so, be careful when using glucose drinks like Lucozade, if you consume too much sugar then your pancreas gets overloaded and dumps it into the Liver, damaging both organs and eventually causing T2 Diabetes

2 Likes