The fuse in the extractor hood above my cooker blew on Wednesday. I fitted another and the fan started but when my wife turned on the light… !!!BANG!!!. Blub removed (a subminiature LED type) and it was a bit greasy. There is “grease stopper” paper in the lid but they still get icky inside. Bulb cleaned of any grease near terminals (MES), another new fuse, reassemble and now the light works. 10 seconds later…!!!BANG!!!
Something was flashing over with the light. Another fuse, bulb removed and fan was working. That will do till I have more time.
I have just dismantled the lamp holder and found the body of a wasp across the terminals. Well it was a bit blackened and charred. Body removed, bulb inserted and now it stays lit. Or it stayed lit for the minute I tested it. I have the wasp’s body and will photograph it later as this was a real failure inducing hardware bug!