QMX now available for 60-15m

Hi all SOTA enthusiasts

Just to let you know, the QMX transceiver is now available in a version for 60, 40, 30, 20, 17 and 15m. See QMX 5-band 5W Digi transceiver

A reminder, QMX features:

• Band versions: 80, 60, 40, 30 and 20m, OR 60, 40, 30, 20, 17 and 15m, OR 20, 17, 15, 12, 11 and 10m
  • CW and FSK Digi modes (SSB coming in future firmware release)
  • All features of QCX-mini (VFO A/B/Split, RIT, Message and frequency memories, beacon, keyer)
  • 5W output at 9V supply (can be built for 4-5W at 12V supply)
  • SWR bridge built in with SWR protection
  • Single signal transmission (zero unwanted sideband, zero residual carrier, zero intermodulation distortion)
  • Solid-state band switching and transmit/receive switching under CAT control
  • High performance embedded SDR SSB receiver
  • Built-in 24-bit 48ksps USB sound card
  • Built-in USB Virtual COM Serial port for CAT control
  • Si5351A Synthesized VFO with 0.25ppm 25MHz TCXO as standard
  • Easy to build single-board design, Professional quality 6-layer, through-hole plated, silk-screen printed PCBs
  • All SMD components factory assembled
  • Connectors: 2.1mm power barrel connector, USB-C (for audio and CAT control), BNC RF input/output
  • Built-in test signal generator and testing tools
  • Switched mode regulators for low receive current (80-90mA at 12V supply)
  • GPS interface for frequency calibration, real time clock and location (internal WSPR beacon)
  • IQ output mode for use with SDR software
  • Receive current 80mA, Transmit current 1.0-1.1A for 5W output with 9V supply (around 0.7A for 5W with 12V supply).
  • Optional aluminium extruded cut/drilled/laser-etched black anodized enclosure

73 Hans G0UPL

20 Likes

Still the same wait time after ordering?

Kits ship straight away.

For the assembled radios: we produced and shipped 252 assembled transceivers in March. April will be similar. As of this morning, the waiting list was 720. So it’s about 3-4 months at the moment, for assembled transceivers.

73 Hans G0UPL

2 Likes

Great news! Thank you Hans. Ordered.

Actually I already have enough QRP TRXs… in addition to the KX2 there is a SW-3b, a Minimal Art TRX for 40m and 3 QCX mini for 60/30/17m (contest free zone)

But I enjoy building… other people make puzzles (…and then can’t do anything with it.)

I received my QMX kit for the upper bands (20 - 10m) 3 days ago… and when I have some time and peace I will build it. For the time of sunspot maximum it is a great backup to my KX2… I don’t have anything else for the 10m band. - I’ve also considered ordering the QMX for the lower bands.

For me, 80m is rather uninteresting for SOTA. This TRX (60 - 15m) would of course be perfect for the time when the higher bands no longer work…

That would then be QRP TRX No. 8… :face_with_thermometer: Totally wrong… but the temptation is great! :star_struck:

73 Armin

6 Likes

Great news! Thank you Hans. Ordered. :sunglasses:

73 Chris

Indeed excellent news!
Thanks Hans!

Ingo

Hi Hans,

I would be very interested to understand if there a timeline or plan for SSB support ? and if this will be quicker than my ability to learn CW :wink:

Thanks
Tim

1 Like

Tim,

If you order today ready build QMX you will receive it end of summer, by that time SSB firmware will be just around the corner.

Also once SSB is available, I recon orders will pile up even more and waiting time increase further.

I prefer to build one myself, so I got mid-band version already in my shack, just needs some further tweaking to have 5W on all bands. I am awaiting Hans assembly manual to verify if my version needs changes.

73 Marek

2 Likes

Even the first batch came with built in microphone, so the plan is to implement ssb with a firmware update rather than hardware changes.

You could hedge your bets by buying one now and starting to learn morse as well - you won’t regret having both options :grin:

3 Likes

I doubt it. If you fancy doing CW SOTA activating, you can go from zero, to QRS CW activator in about 4 months. And as you’ve probably seen on here, everyone that’s made the plunge to learn CW for the purposes of SOTA activating, absolutely loves it. So make a start, you won’t regret it.

6 Likes

One side of that comparison, I guess, depends to some extent on where you find yourself on the “Difficulty Learning Morse” distribution, and how much practice time you put into it… :wink:

2 Likes

I thought it would be learning a bunch of sequences. Easy… well, No it’s like learning a whole new language.

Last time I did this, I learned Italian when I lived in Italy, it was honestly one of the hardest things I ever done. And I had an Italian girlfriend. Not sure I have the same incentive plan with CW :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I’m going to give it a try. I can’t just rely on summits for 10m challenge :grinning:

2 Likes

The QMX works well with FT4/FT8 too, just one cable to my iphone (camera lead adapter), but much nicer to use on CW :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Tim

SSB is high priority, #2 on my list; but as always, I don’t have promised delivery date. Writing software takes as long as it takes… it’s hard to predict, what problems may arise or how easily it might flow!

73 Hans G0UPL

4 Likes

hello hans
is it possible to transform a QMX v1 80-20 to a 60-15 one ?
73 nico f5mdy

Hi Nico

I will produce a set of parts (NP0 capacitors, Ferrites, Micrometals toroids) for the 60-15m version, as we already have for the 80-20m version and 20-10m version see https://shop.qrp-labs.com/SPAREPARTS/sparepartsqmx .

Theoretically that would let you convert an 80-20m version to a 60-15m version. HOWEVER -

1. Removing the capacitors from the PCB and putting in the new value capacitors tidily, without damaging the PCB, is a bit of a challenge.

2. You might find you need to change the number of turns for the Band Pass Filter inductor taps, as you are talking about a PCB Rev 1. Generally the changes from one PCB revision to the next have been minor, however there WERE some changes in the Band Pass Filter area which could have altered parasitic component elements (inductances due to trace lengths, stray capacitance of PCB traces, etc) and this may have altered such things as parasitic resonances in the BPF. So it may need a bit of tweaking, on a Rev 1 board.

73 Hans G0UPL

2 Likes